Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:11:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralCan anyone explain to me in logical terms what Kickstarter is?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Can anyone explain to me in logical terms what Kickstarter is?  (Read 1223 times)
froggyishere
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2016, 12:19:22 AM »

Because to me it seems like this...

So a person has an idea for a game. Then they create some hype, get some backers. Then they make a game and launch it on Steam or something. Then the Steam launch succeeds. Then... they start a Kickstarter? I thought Kickstarter was... you know, to kick-start things? Can somebody please offer some insights into this? I'm terribly confused.

I mean, should you actually make a game or should you just make it seem like you're making a game and just focus on a kickstarter?

And yet, still not satisfied...
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 12:23:20 AM »

can you put an example of a game that did a kickstarter after being launched on steam?
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 01:04:33 AM »

kickstarter is a machine powered by bad ideas and thus our greatest source of clean, renewable energy
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 01:12:01 AM »

We cover Kickstarters on the PigIgnorant.com podcast and we rarely come across already released games on there. The ones that we do come across are usually doing it to fund some additional content. The majority of stuff in the Kickstarter games section is woefully under-developed, and often times only features a picture and a one paragraph description. The most successful Kickstarters are the ones that show some progress, but are still early enough that backers imaginations can run wild as to what the final game will be like.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 01:20:41 AM »

I know of some board games that did a second post-launch KS, usually for a second edition because the first turned out to be an unfinished and poorly tested mess. Never heard of any videogames doing that though.

Anyway, most of the big kickstarter successes are not purely funded through KS money. I think Wasteland 2 tried that, but they had to scale back the game's production values quite a lot to get by. Most backers treat kickstarter as a glorified preorder so low-tier kickstarter backers cut directly into your sales, meaning it's a bit less money than it looks to begin with.

A successful KS is also very good for PR, so often kickstarters are run with the intent of attracting publisher interest rather than funding development per se.
froggyishere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 01:24:31 AM »

can you put an example of a game that did a kickstarter after being launched on steam?

Not without singling someone out like a total d-bag.

EDIT: Perhaps not RELEASED on Steam, but after a successful Steam greenlight campaign but prior to being released on Steam.

It definitely seems that kickstarter is not so much what it would have you believe by its name. It seems to me from all the stuff I've heard, like the Mighty no. 9 debacle, like a way to get people to invest in something with little-to-no guarantee of a return on that investment, for no reason.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 01:26:15 AM »

ya but you were talking about it like it's a common thing (which to my knowledge it isn't)
froggyishere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 01:29:02 AM »

ya but you were talking about it like it's a common thing (which to my knowledge it isn't)

I dunno, I'm just going on my impression of it as of right now. I don't know what to make of it, it just seems like a web of lies.

froggyishere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 01:30:40 AM »

kickstarter is a machine powered by bad ideas and thus our greatest source of clean, renewable energy

There is no way to respond to anything you say.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 01:36:22 AM »

if you were investing in megaman zx 2 made by Hyperdimension Neptunia developers you got what you wnated
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 01:37:10 AM »

well you found one way.

This labour, by slow prudence to make mild
A rugged people, and thro' soft degrees
Subdue them to the useful and the good.
Most blameless is he, centred in the sphere
Of common duties, decent not to fail
In offices of tenderness, and pay
Meet adoration to my household gods,
When I am gone. He works his work, I mine.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 01:38:37 AM »

i think this guy is talking about my sweet blameless child Paul Eres
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 01:42:10 AM »

I dunno, I'm just going on my impression of it as of right now.
Well go over to the Kickstaarter games section right now and browse all the live campaigns, it doesn't take long, and you'll see that it is chock full of half-arsed poorly realised projects that have in no way already been successful.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 01:44:25 AM »

EDIT: Perhaps not RELEASED on Steam, but after a successful Steam greenlight campaign but prior to being released on Steam.

it's common for game not even being in alpha stage to be greenlit. Some devs consider greenlight as PR and just a way to ensure its place in steam. If a costumer knows you'll be on steam and that it's official, they are more eager to back your kickstarter.
froggyishere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 01:46:26 AM »

well you found one way.

This labour, by slow prudence to make mild
A rugged people, and thro' soft degrees
Subdue them to the useful and the good.
Most blameless is he, centred in the sphere
Of common duties, decent not to fail
In offices of tenderness, and pay
Meet adoration to my household gods,
When I am gone. He works his work, I mine.

You wear the yoke of service to your people, that they may know wisdom and not folly... Heavy is he head that wears the crown, amirite?

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 01:47:44 AM »

my favourite video game kick starter is by the guy who made that super mario crossover flash game and he got $53,000 to make exactly the same game but with different sprites and instead rented a house to develop his flash game in unity but couldn't figure out how to use unity and to this date still has not managed to make his own game that he already made before
froggyishere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 01:49:43 AM »

Thanks for your guys' answers so far.

(Except Joe who does the lord's work, and this surely not in vain, for God is not mocked)

froggyishere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 01:51:12 AM »

my favourite video game kick starter is by the guy who made that super mario crossover flash game and he got $53,000 to make exactly the same game but with different sprites and instead rented a house to develop his flash game in unity but couldn't figure out how to use unity and to this date still has not managed to make his own game that he already made before

Sounds like everybody I know who uses Unity, give or take $53,000.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2016, 01:59:58 AM »

second favourite is this one

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2016, 03:42:57 AM »

mine's brandon boyer raising 100,000 dollars to launch a video game tumblr page