Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411282 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:38:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioclosed vs. open headphones
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: closed vs. open headphones  (Read 1233 times)
alexshines
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2016, 09:33:14 AM »

Hows it going everybody?

So I'm in the market for a decent pair of headphones, the more I read the more confusing this becomes lol. I have a budget of around $250 but if I can spend less and still get something good I would be more than happy. The main thing I'm a bit undecided on is whether I should be going for open or closed-back headphones. From what I understand, open headphones are more natural sounding but are prone to interference from outside noise, while closed headphones are better when it comes to noise isolation and the EQ may sound boosted or "less natural".

Probably 90% of the time I will be listening to music with these, the other 10% I will probably be sampling my own tracks. Which way should I go, open or closed? And does anyone have a recommendation on a specific brand or product (preferably someone with their own personal experience)? Sorry if this post was a bit long-winded.

Thanks for the help.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 10:30:18 AM »

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=best%20headphones%20under%20250
alexshines
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 10:57:18 AM »

Thank you for that but yea i do know how to do a google search already lol  Grin I've pretty much read through all the guides at pnf already https://www.pricenfees.com/category/electronics/headphones. But I'm more interested in a reccomendation from someone who actually owns a decent pair of headphones as I'm a bit weary of those "top 10" sites that typically come up in the google search results...
Abadox
Level 0

full metal jackass

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 05:55:37 PM »

I got a pair of Audio Technica ATH m50s a while back and haven't regretted it. Although I wouldn't mix audio with these as my only reference they do sound very good, well balanced and don't color what you're listening to too much. I do use them to mix when I can't use speakers and the adjustments I have to make later on are usually pretty minor. For the price I really don't think they can be beat. Also they have a really nice low end. As far as closed vs. open, I think open backed headphones are generally considered to sound the best, but there are drawbacks to that design if you want to use them outside of a studio. Also, expensive.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 06:05:58 PM »

both are important.

i own four pairs of headphones. audio technica m50xes and m70xes, v-moda crossfades, and sennheiser 600 hds.

the first 3 are closed back. the sennheisers are open.

i mix on the sennheisers.

but i test those mixes on the m50s. i record using the m70s (great isolation means minimal bleed.) and i test the mixes again on the v-modas, which are basically pure stupid bass and nothing else. each gives a different picture of the mix, and that's all useful.

chances are i'm good if it sounds good on the sennheisers, but if it doesn't sound good cranked loud on the m50s as well, something is wrong.

alexshines
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 05:05:44 AM »

Okay so pretty much I'd be best off with 2 pairs possibly? say.. the Audio Technica ATH m50 and the Sennheiser 600. That probably takes me well above my budget but I'm willing to throw some more cash at it if it is a necessity.
zminusone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 06:16:50 AM »

I use LCD-X open back... they are incredible! Unfortunately, I guess they are way out of your price-range. I also have a few other things laying around. I think you pretty much always want open back and something that is very detailed and flat. I have a Beyerdynamic DT770 closed back. I think they are quite low priced and sound pretty good, but definitely way more colored than the LCDs - especially in the high end. I think there's an open back model which is similarly cheap, might be worth checking out. I don't have Sennheiser HD 600s, although they are supposed to be quite good - I was looking into getting the HD 800s when I got my LCDs; that will probably be my next headphone purchase.

-Brian

Abadox
Level 0

full metal jackass

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 11:04:54 AM »

I think that to say that having both is an absolute necessity is a bit of an overstatement. To me it's more like having both would be ideal, but you're not going to be bummed because you only have one. I personally consider closed back headphones to be better for a general use situation while open back are exclusively for critical listening. Are you being paid to mix something and can't use a good pair of studio monitors? then you need open backed headphones. Are you using the output from a computer or portable device? Then you may find that you can't drive the high impedance of open backed headphones to the volume level that you'd like. Do you need to use a click track and a mic at the same time? Go closed back. Listening in public? Closed back. I guess although some may disagree with me, I'd say if you're not a professional or an audiophile open backed headphones are a bit of a luxury. while it's true that they can offer flat frequency response that closed back headphones simply can't, this advantage is only really a necessity in certain specific use cases.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 06:13:44 AM »

those use cases basically come around to:

-do you make music
-do you design sound

if yes, please buy open back. or get monitors. either way. sennheiser hd 600s can work nicely fairly loud even without being driven (but drive them, if you can) so they ARE a good bet if you're on a budget.

DJSef
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 04:16:27 PM »

Saying "open headphones give the best song" isn't true. It's easier to get better fidelity with open headphones, but that's not the same as saying open headphones sound better than closed, and it's DEFINITELY not the same as saying you'll like open more then closed. If you listen to a lot of bass-heavy music like Drum 'n Bass or Dubstep you'll probaby prefer closed - open headphones are typically brighter and almost always have less treble extension.

Open or closed only matter depending on your preference and the environment where you'll listen. Library? Closed. Home? Any. Like Jazz and Acoustic Rock? Open. Own a Zomboy album? Closed.
Jordanoakley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 02:30:44 AM »

I've been a big fan of Beyerdynamic headphones over the last few years, and got a pair of DT 880s (open back) after my Custom Pro One's eventually broke. My open backs are amazing and I love them for mixing and listening at home. Sometimes when I only had closed I felt myself yearning for some open backs to listen to my mixes on. Chances are you could track down a few friends with closed back headphones if you want to see what mixes sound like through them when you're at the final stages.

The main difference I felt was being basically restricted to home listening because they open backs will probably be too noisy for listening on public transport, especially considering the outside noises require you to crank them more. Couldn't recommend Beyerdynamics more though!!

Website   //  facebook  //  Soundcloud
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic