Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411479 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58425 Members - Latest Member: solpreston

April 23, 2024, 08:44:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRewound - Time-focused action RPG [Now on Greenlight! Demo Released!]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Rewound - Time-focused action RPG [Now on Greenlight! Demo Released!]  (Read 3676 times)
hypersnow_dev
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2016, 10:50:33 AM »

Rewound - a time-focused action RPG

Play the demo here: https://hypersnow.itch.io/rewound
Now on Greenlight! Please vote to show your support!

Hey guys, this is a project I've been working on for quite some time now. It's an action RPG, with a unique battle system - your health determines how much time you have to carry out your turn.

This applies to enemies as well.

There's some strategy in how you want to approach enemies - you'll have to predict what they'll do on their turn and act accordingly. You can switch between party members at any time, so you'll have to position them where they'll face the least amount of danger but can also attack quickly or set up for team combos.

Throughout the game you'll get more mods, which can be used for attack, defense, or support. By using materials you'll be able to make stronger mods from weaker ones.

Here's some additional gifs:

If you want to further follow development you can follow me on Twitter and on Reddit, where I post on Screenshot Saturday.

Thanks for viewing!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 07:08:40 PM by hypersnow_dev » Logged

Twitter +
Tumblr
if you want to follow
bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 01:37:15 PM »

Are you worried about a snowball effect where as you get hurt, your available actions decrease, which causes you to be unable to recover in a meaningful way? That seems like the most immediate problem with tying health and actions together.

I love how fast and frantic the combat feels though. Especially when you're just throwing bombs around like crazy. Seems like that could go really far with more enemies on-screen.

hypersnow_dev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 08:37:02 PM »

Are you worried about a snowball effect where as you get hurt, your available actions decrease, which causes you to be unable to recover in a meaningful way? That seems like the most immediate problem with tying health and actions together.

Yeah, I've definitely taken it into consideration. There'll be quite a few support mods that will allow you to regain health lost. You can also charge certain mods during the enemy's turn, so you'll have to prioritize which ones you need the most as your turn starts.

And thanks! I love fast battle systems.

Twitter +
Tumblr
if you want to follow
wizered67
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 08:42:57 PM »

Cool concept! I'll definitely keep an eye on this and can't wait to see how it develops Smiley
hypersnow_dev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 02:09:11 PM »

Enemies will require you to adapt to their strategies.

This enemy will only move horizontally - but if it's in your line of sight, it won't hold back when shooting at you.

Be careful of your position as time turn runs out, and target the enemies that are most dangerous first.

Twitter +
Tumblr
if you want to follow
Valo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 01:08:45 AM »

Whoa, this looks like something I'd really want to play. Especially if it has some meat in its story, rather than being just pure gameplay.

I'd like it more if it didn't have that immersion breaking "battle screen" like JRPG's have though.
hypersnow_dev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 12:35:03 PM »

Thanks for the comment!

The arena is randomly generated as you enter battle and is separate from the actual map. Is that what you mean by battle screen?

Twitter +
Tumblr
if you want to follow
Valo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 07:31:27 PM »

The arena is randomly generated as you enter battle and is separate from the actual map. Is that what you mean by battle screen?

Yeah, that's what I meant. It's just my personal preference as there aren't any technical limitations that warrant the use of a separate map. Plus it breaks the immersion a bit and makes me a bit scared to explore because it feels more time consuming and annoying to get into the battle. As opposed to games like Xenoblade, FF XII and the upcoming FF XV, where I actually enjoy battling, even though it's very easy to flee and avoid battles.

But I understand that there are still a lot of JRPG fans who prefer that for nostalgia reasons and such. If you prefer the traditional turn-based method and really like it, you should keep it as it is. Just wanted to give my opinion about it.

Looking forward for more development updates for this one, regardless of how the battles are handled Smiley
Will Escher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 01:12:09 AM »

It looks really interesting and somewhat refreshing.
hypersnow_dev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 04:39:26 PM »

When you run out of time, it means game over for you. That also comes with a cool special effect, though!

Also worked on some rain particle effects as well. Real atmospheric.

I'll try not to spoil anything important in these updates...and hopefully update more frequently, but we'll see about that.

Twitter +
Tumblr
if you want to follow
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 06:39:04 PM »

This concept reminds me a lot of snowball chess, which can be very entertaining to play against decent players.

If you're not familiar, it's where white makes 1 move, then black makes 2 moves, then white 3, and so on.

Except it's in reverse, where the moves will get shorter as the combatants lose HP.

I like it!
hypersnow_dev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 09:04:58 PM »

Title screen finished.

Typically RPGs have simple title screens, and I'm a fan of that tradition.

Twitter +
Tumblr
if you want to follow
hypersnow_dev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 01:52:02 PM »

When you win a battle, your party members get experience based on how many enemies they killed, and what kind.

Every time you level up you gain points that you can put into either timepower (take more enemy damage) or seconds (time for your turn).

I just noticed timepower is labeled time points here. Gonna go fix that.

I've decided to release a demo, coming soon (next week?). Any gameplay feedback would help me immensely in tweaking the systems, so look forward to it!

Twitter +
Tumblr
if you want to follow
wizered67
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 03:37:01 PM »

Glad to see it's coming along well! I'll be looking forward to the demo!
hypersnow_dev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 10:10:02 PM »

Glad to see it's coming along well! I'll be looking forward to the demo!

Thanks! It'll come out soon, I promise Wink

Getting a game over means you'll have to restart from the last save point.
Or you can quit, if you like to give up easy, but I don't judge...

The plus slots under your main mod slots can be used to slightly increase the damage of your mods. By placing mods of the same element as your main one, you can upgrade its damage up to +2.

The amount of additional damage will vary between mods.

Twitter +
Tumblr
if you want to follow
Davi Vasc
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 09:59:38 AM »

Looks awesome! Just a quick observation though, I would never be able to tell what is the name of the game just by reading the logo (the word "wound" is very unclear). But hey, maybe that is just me.

Davi Vasc - Video Game Composer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VascMusic
hypersnow_dev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 05:08:46 PM »

Looks awesome! Just a quick observation though, I would never be able to tell what is the name of the game just by reading the logo (the word "wound" is very unclear). But hey, maybe that is just me.

I've heard the same thing from several people, so I think it's time to make adjustments  Shrug

Twitter +
Tumblr
if you want to follow
hypersnow_dev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 08:13:04 PM »

Took time to make adjustments to the logo.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 11:18:15 PM by hypersnow_dev » Logged

Twitter +
Tumblr
if you want to follow
hypersnow_dev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 11:21:35 PM »

Sorry for lack of updates! I've been hard at work polishing and bug-destroying (which takes much longer than I thought) so there hasn't really been much to show off. Here's a short gif though:

It's taking a while longer to finish everything up for the demo release, so you'll have to wait a few more weeks. I hope it'll be worth the wait!

Twitter +
Tumblr
if you want to follow
hypersnow_dev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 12:34:47 AM »

Finished up the trailer! The demo will take some time, but I promise it's coming Wink

Twitter +
Tumblr
if you want to follow
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic