Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:31:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRewound - Time-focused action RPG [Now on Greenlight! Demo Released!]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Rewound - Time-focused action RPG [Now on Greenlight! Demo Released!]  (Read 3678 times)
hypersnow_dev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 11:46:59 PM »

Welp, that took way longer than expected. Demo's out!

https://hypersnow.itch.io/rewound

Music and SFX took a hell of a long time, but I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

Twitter +
Tumblr
if you want to follow
hypersnow_dev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 07:10:03 PM »

And to follow up with that, I've put it on Greenlight!

Hoping it makes it before Steam Direct comes.

Twitter +
Tumblr
if you want to follow
wizered67
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 08:09:56 PM »

I played a bit and I had some thoughts. Overall I liked the concept a lot, but some of these might be a little nitpicky.

First of all, very minor but I thought the title screen would have really benefited from a ticking sound when the clock hand moved around! Another small detail is that at the very beginning, and I believe also when reloading saves, the camera starts in the top left and then quickly pans to center on the player. Why not just center on the player from the beginning?

I wasn't a fan of the pixel art you used for most of the city walls. It blends in the tiles on the ground way too much and makes it hard to tell what's a wall and what isn't. On the subject of art, I also thought the grandpa looked much more like "grandma" until his gender was clarified.

After buying the apples, it took a long time to figure out where to go. Did I miss something? How was I supposed to know to go to the guy's house? I assumed he was going to meet me at home because that's where he originally went. This was also made more confusing since I had tried going into random houses when buying the apple and none of them worked, so I didn't realize I'd be able to after giving the food. Also, after my friend was injured and whatnot I headed into the forest, only to be told after walking for a while that I had to let my grandpa know I was going. This totally broke the flow for me. Why not make me tell him before I enter the forest rather than a few screens in?

During my first battle, I found myself randomly using moves with no idea what they did. I died on my first try but eventually won on my second try. Personally I would have liked to have some idea what the moves did before being thrown into battle and told to use them, but maybe that's just me. Speaking of which, why do all these characters have these magic abilities they use to fight? I found the battle with the archer confusing. Why do the arrows not move when placed? Is it supposed to be like he's moving so fast that he shoots them and moves before the arrows have the time to move, and then during my turns time is frozen so they don't move still? Also, I couldn't figure out why the enemy was sometimes invulnerable to my attacks, but other times could be hit. Maybe I was missing something?

Also, I wasn't a big fan of the music. Some of it felt a little out of place. I thought the forest music would have sounded a bit more sinister than it did.

Okay, sorry I just complained a lot, I don't mean to be too critical. The transition effects are awesome and I love the concept! I liked that even though you can only move on your turn, some of your effects carry over into the enemy turn and can interfere with them!

I hope my feedback helps and I'll look forward to seeing more!
hypersnow_dev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2017, 09:16:02 PM »

I played a bit and I had some thoughts. Overall I liked the concept a lot, but some of these might be a little nitpicky.

First of all, very minor but I thought the title screen would have really benefited from a ticking sound when the clock hand moved around! Another small detail is that at the very beginning, and I believe also when reloading saves, the camera starts in the top left and then quickly pans to center on the player. Why not just center on the player from the beginning?

I wasn't a fan of the pixel art you used for most of the city walls. It blends in the tiles on the ground way too much and makes it hard to tell what's a wall and what isn't. On the subject of art, I also thought the grandpa looked much more like "grandma" until his gender was clarified.

After buying the apples, it took a long time to figure out where to go. Did I miss something? How was I supposed to know to go to the guy's house? I assumed he was going to meet me at home because that's where he originally went. This was also made more confusing since I had tried going into random houses when buying the apple and none of them worked, so I didn't realize I'd be able to after giving the food. Also, after my friend was injured and whatnot I headed into the forest, only to be told after walking for a while that I had to let my grandpa know I was going. This totally broke the flow for me. Why not make me tell him before I enter the forest rather than a few screens in?

During my first battle, I found myself randomly using moves with no idea what they did. I died on my first try but eventually won on my second try. Personally I would have liked to have some idea what the moves did before being thrown into battle and told to use them, but maybe that's just me. Speaking of which, why do all these characters have these magic abilities they use to fight? I found the battle with the archer confusing. Why do the arrows not move when placed? Is it supposed to be like he's moving so fast that he shoots them and moves before the arrows have the time to move, and then during my turns time is frozen so they don't move still? Also, I couldn't figure out why the enemy was sometimes invulnerable to my attacks, but other times could be hit. Maybe I was missing something?

Also, I wasn't a big fan of the music. Some of it felt a little out of place. I thought the forest music would have sounded a bit more sinister than it did.

Okay, sorry I just complained a lot, I don't mean to be too critical. The transition effects are awesome and I love the concept! I liked that even though you can only move on your turn, some of your effects carry over into the enemy turn and can interfere with them!

I hope my feedback helps and I'll look forward to seeing more!

Thanks a lot for playing and writing all this up! Really means a lot. I'll try and address each question.

I'll be taking the next few weeks to touch up the art, including fixing the things you listed and improving color palettes. Regarding the music, which ones specifically felt out of place? It's my first time making music, actually (which is why the demo took so long) so any outside opinions are helpful.

For dialogue, I tried to structure it so that the characters hint at where to go without telling you exactly what to do (for example, the old lady asks if you have someone to talk to before you go), but I did accidentally leave out some details in the first conversation with your friend, so that was a mistake on my part. I'll also move the dialogue gate up to the city.

I didn't want to make the tutorial too long, so I decided to let the player learn what each move does by using them in battle. Seeing as how a few other playtesters died from that boss too, it'll probably be rebalanced to give the player more time to learn what each ability does. The stone grants the player the magic abilities, which I should add more detail about, but haven't decided where yet.

The archer boss basically sets the arrows in place then activates them on his next turn - they're not normal arrows. Because of how the battle system works, I have to design enemies and bosses so that their attacks are dodgeable and aren't unpredictable, so if the arrows moved when the boss shot them the player would have no way of dodging them (they can't move on the enemy turn). Also, the boss shields any attack that isn't the same element color as the one he's attacking with. If he's shooting blue arrows, you can only attack him with ice attacks.

Twitter +
Tumblr
if you want to follow
wizered67
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 11:04:00 PM »

Okay, I played some more and was able to beat the archer. Let me start with some opinions on the music, which I made sure to pay closer attention to so that I could give more feedback. Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of the title screen music. I like the silence-and-piano vibe but the piano music itself didn't sound that great. I'm sorry I'm not musically inclined enough to give more specific feedback. I did like the battle music much more though, so good work with that! The forest music is okay, I'm not sure. I guess with a name like "dimlit forest" and all the giant rats and enemies, I would expect something a little more sinister sounding. The music is very upbeat, which is fine if that's what you're going for, just not what I expected.

My bad on missing that I had to say goodbye to my grandpa before leaving. I had honestly completely forgotten about him, and when the lady said there was someone to talk to I honestly thought she was referring to the friend in the bed there. Not necessarily a good idea, but I think it would be pretty funny if you let the player leave without saying goodbye to the grandpa, but if they do the grandpa makes really passive aggressive comments about it if you visit him later Cheesy

Also, I figured that the stone I got gave the main character more powers, but why does the friend also have magic attacks? And the archer seems to use magic attacks too? Does everyone just have magic in the world?

Speaking of which, since I was able to beat the archer, let me give some more feedback. First of all, I like the idea of the attacks all having different effects that you have to plan around or avoid. I do think it looks very strange at first when he shoots arrows and they just float in place. I understand why it's like that from a design perspective, but it seems confusing at first. As for matching his element to defeat him, I honestly would have never figured that out if you hadn't told me. I had noticed that the friend's wind effect did damage while the rest didn't but I couldn't figure out any connection. The gray/white arrow color indicating that the wind attack was the correct element just blended in with the arrow so I didn't see any significance. Even knowing what to do, I still got destroyed my first rematch with him. I ended up dealing a bunch of damage but my main character died and since the friend only had some of the elemental attacks I had to wait until things showed up that I could hit. Eventually I got low on health and ended up with like 0.5 second turns. I was able to avoid attacks but not really damage and ended up losing after several more turns. I do think there might be a bit of a problem with not being able to comeback after taking too much damage because you don't have enough time. I wasn't able to get the friend's healing move working, but admittedly I may have just done something wrong. Do you just stand next to the person you want to heal and click?

OH also I wanted to mention that the first time I battled the archer I was reading the friend's instructions on switching characters but didn't realize time was still going, so I ended up missing half my first turn! Maybe pause the turn until the instructions are done?

My next rematch with the archer was much more successful. Since I fully knew what I was doing I was able to hit him with a bunch of the wind attacks at the beginning and then gradually wear him down as his turns got shorter.

By the way, I really like switching between characters in battle and having to place them correctly to avoid attacks. The battle system is definitely pretty cool! Also, I'm guessing there will be some way to unlock new abilities and upgrade or customize them? That definitely sounds like something I'd enjoy!

Anyway, hope my feedback helps! I'll look forward to more demos in the future!

hypersnow_dev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 10:22:00 PM »

Progress is coming along slow but steady!

Here's a new enemy called Flost. It teleports whenever you land a hit, so attacks with wide range will be useful.
After it summons its spikeball it'll recall it on the next turn, so pay attention to the ball and enemy positions! You don't want to get too reckless with attacks or else you won't be able to predict its direction.

Forest graphics have also been remade to look cleaner and not as dull.

If you haven't already, please vote on Greenlight! Traffic has slowed immensely since the first day so voting is greatly appreciated.

Twitter +
Tumblr
if you want to follow
hypersnow_dev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2017, 09:14:44 PM »

Thankfully was Greenlit with the last batch!
And not to worry, the project's still trucking along fine - only have a period of lacking motivation to blame for that..

Onto the actual progress->

Playing around with a new enemy. There's a lot going on on screen, so I'll probably put it in arenas with only others of its kind.

Weather effects in battles will make it harder to see, so concentrate extra hard in these areas!

Looking forward to posting more soon.

Twitter +
Tumblr
if you want to follow
hypersnow_dev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 03:27:09 PM »

Small update, touched up portraits compared to the demo release.

Twitter +
Tumblr
if you want to follow
hypersnow_dev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2017, 06:38:55 PM »

New attack. Recharge times aren't usually this instant though, which is why I'm thinking about having unlockable cheats in the future.

Twitter +
Tumblr
if you want to follow
hypersnow_dev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2017, 11:21:56 PM »

Another new attack, called Arc Boost. Speeds up your projectile-based attacks so you can hit enemies from a safe distance.

Twitter +
Tumblr
if you want to follow
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic