Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:35:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsoku: Atmospheric Point & Click Anti-Adventure Narrative RPG
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: oku: Atmospheric Point & Click Anti-Adventure Narrative RPG  (Read 4838 times)
ciara
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 15, 2016, 12:08:22 PM »

What is oku?

oku is the first game in the planned Idina Trilogy. oku is about a young woman who lives in a small community populated by the Oku, strange and ethereal beings who wander the land.

Gameplay

oku is a 3D point & click with no dialogue and no overarching goal. You'll be able to explore Gnana's community and piece together the varying elements of her life.

The Philosophy of oku: On Being Present

In Bertrand Russell’s In Praise of Idleness, Russell talks about the joy and necessity of doing nothing — how idleness fuels creativity, who is allowed to be idle versus who is not, and how this is part of a larger discussion of how certain societies function. In an age where many of us are required to be online or on-call 24/7, In Praise of Idleness remains just as relevant as it was then.

Of course, in theory, it would be wonderful to be able to actually shut off all distractions and let the wave of idleness take hold — even if just for a little while. With the invention and popularization of video games, even our entertainment is determined to keep our brain’s activity at its maximum. And beneath this scramble for our attention, there are those who just want to wander. As a player, I often find I enjoy the “idle” parts of my favorite film, TV shows, books, and games. Those moments when I’m getting a lifetime’s worth of story/context in a glance, a reflection, or a concrete wall — those are my absolute favorite moments.

After I was inspired by the Mystic Western game jam, I decided to cram Gnana’s world with as much lore, history, and style as I could dredge up. And although oku is a narrative game, I don’t want to spoon feed the story to the player. I want the story to emerge from Gnana’s life, like a bloom.

Sure, I can’t necessarily create idleness in an interactive experience, such as a game, but I can create a narrative presence, a place for you to live and explore, just for a bit.

Who

oku is a 100% solo project! I'm making all the art (pixel & voxel), animation, programming, music, and doing all the promotion, advertising, marketing, philosophizing, etc. I publish early versions of my games (in whatever state they're in) every quarter. My goal is to have you playing the first tiny scene in oku at the end of Q3 2016 (around September 30), with the final version likely coming out in 2018.

Tools
  • Photoshop for the pixel art, animation, and promotional materials.
  • Qubicle for the voxel art
  • Unity
  • Licecap for gifs

Proof-of-Concept
This was the proof I made over a year ago. I was originally intending the game to be a side-scroller, but I recently decided to go with an orthographic 3D perspective. Unsurprisingly, so much has changed.

For More!
If you'd like more real-time updates of my progress, I'm very active on Patreon, Twitter, and Cartrdge.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:41:45 PM by ciara » Logged

I took the plunge to making games full-time! You can support my work on Patreon!
elisof
Level 0

you can call me eli though hi hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 06:58:55 AM »

Nice! I miss playing through as many exploratory point-and-click games so lovely to see this being a thing. Nice to see its progress via the Twitter hashtag so far, too! I look forward to seeing more (followed on here as well) ^^

I compose and design sound~
SoundCloud // Bandcamp // Twitter // Avatar by the rad Sarah Graley~
ciara
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 11:03:49 PM »

Nice! I miss playing through as many exploratory point-and-click games so lovely to see this being a thing. Nice to see its progress via the Twitter hashtag so far, too! I look forward to seeing more (followed on here as well) ^^

Thank you for checking out oku! There's still so much to do, but I'm getting there. Knowing that anyone is interested in my work keeps me going!

I took the plunge to making games full-time! You can support my work on Patreon!
ciara
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 03:24:28 PM »

When the going gets tough, I like to remember where oku started and where it is now.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 05:16:13 PM »

foooooollowing

ciara
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 05:29:18 PM »

foooooollowing

Thank you kindly, and welcome! Here are the most recent images of Gnana's apartment. Each environment is going to be it's own scene. My plan is to release one complete scene per quarter until it's finished.

Babar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 05:33:42 PM »

I like those boxes ! It would look very good in tabletop VR or augmented reality  Gomez

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 03:28:30 AM »

This looks extremely interesting. I haven't actually played any of their games, but this reminds me of Tale of Tales' work. Is that an inspiration?

ciara
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 02:11:36 PM »

I like those boxes ! It would look very good in tabletop VR or augmented reality  Gomez

That's really interesting, I hadn't even considered that! I'll think more on that, thanks!

ciara
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 02:54:19 PM »

This looks extremely interesting. I haven't actually played any of their games, but this reminds me of Tale of Tales' work. Is that an inspiration?

Ah, I can see why you'd say that. I was actually inspired by Sundae Month's Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor, Hyper Light Drifter (if you can believe that), the Mystic Western game jam, and... something else that I'm unfortunately not remembering right now.

Edit: Oh! And Colorspace Studio's In the Shadows.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 03:20:43 PM by ciara » Logged

ciara
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 03:04:54 PM »

Gnana's apartment WIP #15. Finished with the Qubicle modelling (probably) and moving on to 2D animation.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 04:17:05 PM »

still <3 this

Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 02:47:16 AM »

Loving the feeling of the game. I'm all in with the Anti-Adventure concept! :-)
Awesome work!

dorobo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 05:40:59 AM »

Awesome work!

Anti-Adventure concept. I love this term and i need to write it down somewhere.

TheWanderingBen
Level 1

Making Games Around the Globe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 05:46:38 AM »

Exploration narrative, eye-catching art, and unique world. Sold! Beer!

ciara
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 03:50:47 PM »

Awesome work!

Thank you so much, and welcome!

ciara
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 03:55:01 PM »

Exploration narrative, eye-catching art, and unique world. Sold! Beer!

Yay! Thanks for checking out oku! Looking forward to having a tiny playable scene at the end of September/Early October!

ciara
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 09:03:39 AM »

Hah... Turns out I wasn't finished with the Qubicle modelling. Not very surprising, right? Well, here's Gnana's apartment WIP #16. I guess I just have to accept that every now and then  I'm going to want or need to make tweaks. But one way or another (no matter what state it's in), I'm publishing the new and improved proof-of-concept of oku to Itch.io the first week of October.

You can also check out the 5 second video I rendered if you'd like.

cloudgods
Level 0

im j

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 11:39:25 AM »

I'm really drawn to your game's manifesto! I also love point and click games so I look forward to seeing more of this one! Also that interior is beautiful.

ciara
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 05:20:54 PM »

I'm really drawn to your game's manifesto! I also love point and click games so I look forward to seeing more of this one! Also that interior is beautiful.

Thank you so much! That means a lot! I should have started a TigSource much earlier in the process, because the apartment model has come such a long way. Since there's no dialogue in the game (and no facial expressions!), I hope people will come to understand the characters by their surroundings and body language.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic