Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:17:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Questionaire for those who completed projects, but switched midway
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Questionaire for those who completed projects, but switched midway  (Read 771 times)
eerr
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2016, 11:16:24 AM »

For anyone who switched engines, frameworks, languages midway, but still achieved success:

What was the project(s), and what did you switch between:

Why did you make the switch:

Did you accomplish what you were trying to do:

Could you have completed the project with what you started with:

How much time and effort did you leave behind:

If you wanted to reuse time and effort from a previous project, What was that project:

Stretch goals postmortem:

And do you have any regrets:

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 11:23:31 AM by eerr » Logged
sonder
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 09:56:09 PM »

Cool thread idea~

A surreal art game I put out a couple years ago called The Lady.  Unity3D -> Proprietary Engine

Unity3D makes simple things a bit complicated.  The Component system creates many questions that need to be answered.  Was starting to think it would be actually quicker to do it all from scratch.

More or less.  Translating Spriter Pro's wonky and out of date psuedocode to Forth wasn't much fun and took a month out of our production schedule, so it turned out good not great.

Yes, and it would have been multiplatform too, but I feel that it might have lacked a certain degree of hard-to-explain polish.  The little things.  I also wouldn't have learned so much about how game engines work.

Not sure what you mean here.  How much I saved?  Doesn't matter, the schedule was going to be the same either way.  Whatever we could do within that timeframe was the measuring stick.

If you wanted to reuse time and effort from a previous project, What was that project:

N/A

N/A

Nope.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 06:45:27 PM »

For anyone who switched engines, frameworks, languages midway, but still achieved success:

Quantum Pilot, a SHMUP where enemy clones copy how you kill them. Switched from objective-c + cocos2d to javascript

Touchscreen makes for bad game interface and bad neck posture. Plus I had written a bunch of extra crap in the game design and wanted a fresh start. I moved over to Javascript + Canvas drawing and found everything much easier to work with, both design wise (starting from a fresh code slate but with a clear idea of what I did and DIDN'T want to build from previous iterations).

Yes. The game is out www.quantumpilot.me, playable cross-platform with much better gamepad interface and smooth drawing. Additionally, it gave me the foundation for future real-time arcade games in Javascript.

Technically yes, but my platform & technical learning would have been limited.

I don't think of this as time lost. The current version of Quantum Pilot is, I believe, the 6th time I've written it. Each iteration explored different design ideas and different technical architectures. The current version could not have been built without all previous work. So nothing was left behind, only learned from.

I wrote a Twitch-Plays-Minesweeper bot that has some simple code for queuing commands from Twitch chat. That could be useful to re-use in the future instead of re-writing.

I'm not sure I understand your question here, but I tried to implement a replay system. Given the new codebase I though this would be straightforward, but it wasn't and I spent at 6-8 hours on this. Later I found a couple bugs that may have caused the issues and fixed those but haven't come back. Even if those 8 hours had been successful, there would have been additional work and it would have changed the design vision, so I'm happy not succeeding in this regard.

Overthinking the design.

Hope this helps.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic