Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:57:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)How to make my pixel art look better?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to make my pixel art look better?  (Read 1164 times)
denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: July 18, 2016, 05:19:13 PM »

I'm making a sort-of match-3 puzzle game. Originally, I was going to go with a full-res puzzle interface, but I decided it conflicted with the pixel art I was using for the rest of the game. I created pixel versions of the tiles, and simplified them so they would look better that way. But now I feel like they're too simplistic.

I guess I was looking for some advice as to how I could make them look more polished, without adding a bunch of details to them.

Thanks in advance!

DragonDePlatino
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 01:46:56 PM »

You want to improve your chips without adding too many details, yes?

First, I'd suggest getting rid of those jagged edges. It's difficult to draw clean lines at small resolutions when they're at an angle like that. Another suggestion: You could emboss the inside of the inside of the chips like a coin and raise the icon a bit. Finally, make the icons more detailed and add some anti-aliasing.

Alternatively, you could throw out pixel art entirely if you're working with simple, unanimated designs like these. With a program like Inkscape, you can trace your designs and produce nice, smooth icons like these in a matter of minutes.

denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 01:51:23 PM »

I was expecting way uglier stuff. This is kind of cute Smiley

(post your work at x1 so its easier to edit.)

Good point, my friend!

The two sets are just different color schemes, as I'm not sure which looks better.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 02:05:04 PM »

color your outlines, maybe!

the tree and...leaf? don't read, really. the eye could use a highlight. i don't know what the hill...line...thing represents, but it's a nice enough image.

denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 02:16:38 PM »

You want to improve your chips without adding too many details, yes?

First, I'd suggest getting rid of those jagged edges. It's difficult to draw clean lines at small resolutions when they're at an angle like that. Another suggestion: You could emboss the inside of the inside of the chips like a coin and raise the icon a bit. Finally, make the icons more detailed and add some anti-aliasing.

Alternatively, you could throw out pixel art entirely if you're working with simple, unanimated designs like these. With a program like Inkscape, you can trace your designs and produce nice, smooth icons like these in a matter of minutes.

I really like the mockup, actually! It gives them depth in a way that doesn't really make them look too complex.

The problem with throwing out pixel art entirely is that the puzzle sections are essentially the combat for the game. There's an overworld, and characters, and all that, which will all be pixel art.

denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 06:01:28 PM »

Okay, this is the updated set. I added a little bit of depth and a glossy coating. I have some concerns that it doesn't mesh well with the background now, though. I might try it without the gloss, and some other shades or something.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 06:31:54 PM »

add a light opacity shadow and that shit will mesh right up with your BG

denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 05:06:10 PM »

Okay, I think I am satisfied with this version. Thanks for all the help!

(2x size)

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 11:22:06 PM »

dat boot where did you get it
PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 02:18:03 PM »

Big improvement on the latest version! I would consider making a new background based on your new tiles.. it feels like it's in a different style and a bit busy..

Twitter: @pbergmar
denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 07:39:14 PM »

Big improvement on the latest version! I would consider making a new background based on your new tiles.. it feels like it's in a different style and a bit busy..

I agree about the background. I really just wanted a simple-looking layer that wouldn't take away from the action. I intend to add more white space, and have it be a little more dynamic - moving shapes, and all that. The UI is going to be some work, too, but I definitely like the tiles way better.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic