Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:55:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingKatana-wielding assassins?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Katana-wielding assassins?  (Read 1716 times)
Sentient|Sago
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2016, 01:14:38 AM »

I really want my assassin character to wield katanas, but I don't want to have Japan in my world (it would cause a lot of complications.) Can I say that my character wields katanas, but isn't Japanese, and was only trained to wield them?
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 01:43:41 AM »

Is there a specific reason that your character has to wield a "Katana"? Couldn't it just be a sword that looks like a katana but hasn't any link to japan?

teatreegames
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 04:22:35 AM »

There are a few popular characters that come to mind that are not Japanese and use a katana as a weapon. You could always just refer to the weapon as a sabre/saber, but have the design resemble an actual katana.
Sentient|Sago
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 04:28:31 AM »

It does feel a bit like cheating. What parts of the sword do you suggest I change so it wouldn't resemble a katana too much? I feel like changing the blade in some way could justify the name change
teatreegames
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 04:52:00 AM »

Consider sabre/saber to be a bit of a broad word, primarily referring to any narrow, slightly curved blade. In a lot of games, I've seen what appeared to be a katana, but called a sabre; I wouldn't be too concerned on changing how it looks or trying to base the design off the European sabres from the 1700s, remember it's just a name. I guess the point is that "sabre" (at least in my eyes) can still refers to the shape of the blade while not having a name that is of Japanese origin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Types_of_swords

Here's a list of swords from various cultures. Maybe you can find one that might better suit your needs.
Sentient|Sago
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 07:56:29 AM »

Oooh, thanks for showing that list to me! Certainly going to use it in the future. I guess I'll stick with the sabres to avoid any major plot holes or stuff like that. Thanks again!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic