Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:26:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHave you used Blackshell Media or similar indie marketing firm?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Have you used Blackshell Media or similar indie marketing firm?  (Read 1919 times)
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: July 19, 2016, 11:29:56 AM »

http://blackshellmedia.com/

They've come up a few times in my searches & on twitter.

Anyone have experience hiring a marketing firm?

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 01:32:13 PM »

shitty marketing firm that relies on giveaways to get games into steam via greenlight (vote for a free key (or change to get a key).
Wide of range of quality in their published games, because firm doesn't care about quality but money.

it's cheaper to spend 100$ for the greenlight fee than giving a cut to low marketing firms. Unless your game is bad enough you know you'll never get greenlit.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 04:43:47 PM »

They've contacted me before. We didn't really entertain much discussion.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 05:37:34 PM »

shitty marketing firm that relies on giveaways to get games into steam via greenlight (vote for a free key (or change to get a key).
Wide of range of quality in their published games, because firm doesn't care about quality but money.

it's cheaper to spend 100$ for the greenlight fee than giving a cut to low marketing firms. Unless your game is bad enough you know you'll never get greenlit.

Oh, I wasn't even thinking about Steam Greenlight for marketing though I'm confident I can get my game greenlit. I'm looking for marketing firms with reliable press connections.

Thanks for the insights Tigsource.

Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 10:10:04 AM »

There was a post back last year discussing Black Shell Media. If you want more info I would read the comments.

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
matwek
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 02:04:29 PM »

I've had them contact me several times asking to publish various games I've worked on and even to do some pixel art for them.

The first time they asked me to do some pixel work for them they just stopped replying halfway through a conversation, after I had (stupidly) already done some of the work for them.

The second and third time I got the same spam email about wanting to publish seperate games fo mine. No tailour message, simply cut and paste with the name changed. Also there was no acknowledgement when I mentioned we had already spoken in the past and it hadn't gone well.

A couple of friends of mine have had the same email regarding publishing their games.

Also another publisher who I have recently worked with brought them up in a private conversation (with no mention of them by me) as 'annoying and unprofessional'.

I'm sure they want to do a good job and I don't expect they're out to scam people on purpose, but too many red flags pop up when I come into contact with them.
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 05:27:27 PM »

I checked out their list of games they've done work for here http://blackshellmedia.com/games/.

Hadn't heard of any of them. Not a good sign for a marketing firm, though maybe I'm just not their target market.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
StephanieW
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 01:55:48 AM »

Not trying to sell anything here but...

I work for Beefjack promote as a PR/campaign manager; we do marketing for indie games :D

check it out here: http://promote.beefjack.com/

So we worked on Dear Esther and Thomas Was Alone (they're like the jewels in our crown)

Or not it's up to you. I'm always happy to give advice on the marketing/pr front. Or you want to talk about BeefJack, feel free!
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 02:23:42 AM »

SuperRockGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 03:01:07 AM »

I am looking into publishers at the moment and their name cropped up. On reddit. Not very good news i am afraid. Although i have no personal experience with them.

Here is the link...https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/43bo19/a_company_called_black_shell_media_is_scamming/
StephanieW
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 03:09:43 AM »

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 03:21:40 AM »

so professional to promote your marketing company in this topic lol.

(another pr company to blacklist)

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 03:28:30 AM »

Isn't barging in what professional marketing is all about? Tongue
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 03:37:53 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

Raquel Hayner
Level 0

I love indie games!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 10:18:54 AM »

Hello! Raquel here, just to clarify- we 100% do not do this- this is very much against Steam rules!

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 11:40:48 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/blackshellmediallc/posts/402726416585574

yeah sure:ULTRA MEGA AWESOME STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY TIME!

1. 'Like' and 'Share' this post.
2. Leave a comment below.
3. Cast a vote for Rogue State, a game that needs your help on Greenlight!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/

I'll check back in approximately 72 hours to hand out 10 RANDOM Steam keys to 10 lucky winners!

yeah sure lol
Spram
Level 0

I'm shy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 12:45:34 PM »

I don't want to use Blackshell Media or any other marketing thing because I don't trust them. But I wonder if it's normal for a Steam Greenlight to get less than 1000 views in 17 days. Remember, most views come from the first 2 days. It used to be around 800 views in July 21. Is this normal??

Anyway, maybe my game is shit. I don't know. I'm feeling so down I'm finding it hard to work on another game, nobody is going to play it anyway.
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 09:33:14 PM »

Hello! Raquel here, just to clarify- we 100% do not do this- this is very much against Steam rules!

yeah sure:ULTRA MEGA AWESOME STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY TIME!

1. 'Like' and 'Share' this post.
2. Leave a comment below.
3. Cast a vote for Rogue State, a game that needs your help on Greenlight!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/

I'll check back in approximately 72 hours to hand out 10 RANDOM Steam keys to 10 lucky winners!

Well.

Any comment, Raquel?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 09:43:44 PM by DireLogomachist » Logged

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Kylotan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 05:48:33 AM »

I wonder if it's normal for a Steam Greenlight to get less than 1000 views in 17 days.

You should probably start a different topic for this. But if your strategy to reach people is "Put it on Greenlight, hope for the best" then you're in for a world of disappointment.

You don't trust marketing - fair enough. But these services exist for a reason. Attention is hard to get and you need to fix that one way or another.
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2016, 05:12:12 PM »

Not trying to sell anything here but...

I work for Beefjack promote as a PR/campaign manager; we do marketing for indie games :D

check it out here: http://promote.beefjack.com/

So we worked on Dear Esther and Thomas Was Alone (they're like the jewels in our crown)

Or not it's up to you. I'm always happy to give advice on the marketing/pr front. Or you want to talk about BeefJack, feel free!

Sorry, I'm usually wary of the companies that don't provide pricing info on their site (even if it's in ranges). You don't seem to provide such info and from which it's easy to conclude your pricing is insanely expensive.

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2016, 04:39:41 AM »

Isn't barging in what professional marketing is all about? Tongue
indeed lol

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic