Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:15:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallSinner's Sorrow - 2D atmospheric action adventure [PC]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sinner's Sorrow - 2D atmospheric action adventure [PC]  (Read 901 times)
ruudk
Level 0

Dev on Sinner's Sorrow

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2016, 05:42:04 AM »

Hi! Yesterday we revealed our new project with a trailer. And now that we can talk about it it is about time to start sharing info here and chatting with you all about the game!

Sinner’s Sorrow is an atmospheric 2D action adventure game. In Sinner’s Sorrow you are a sinner fighting for your redemption. Set in a dominantly black and white and ominous world, you take up arms against your inner demons. With sword and shield and a multitude of esoteric abilities you strike down those that stand between you and redemption, or fall into deeper darkness.

Sinner’s Sorrow combines the intensity of dynamic action combat with a heavy atmosphere and aspects of puzzle solving, light platforming and influences from the Metroidvania genre. Inspiration is taken from Dark Souls (though this is not a Souls-like game, at most just inspired by, Sinner's Sorrow is not an RPG), Zelda, Limbo and even Silent Hill.

It is being developed by bitHuffel’s Ruud Koorevaar (code) and Anton van Es (art). Ruud is the person talking to you here, hi. We are building this in Unity and are focusing on Windows/OSX/Linux for now.

Currently the game is in its early development phases, hence the reveal trailer is rather cryptic. But of course, over time we will release more info about the game (you can find a bunch more basic info on the website www.sinnerssorrow.com). And that is also where this thread will come in, as I will make sure to keep this updated with what we are doing. For now I can't share much. We are using some cool stuff for 2D sprite lighting and shading to create a heavy atmosphere, which is one of the things I will show more about later on. So I hope you will stay tuned on the progress of the project!

Feel free to ask anything below. I will do my best to answer promptly.

Thank you for your time!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 05:48:11 AM by ruudk » Logged

Developing Sinner's Sorrow, a 2D action adventure game.
NowSayPillow
Level 1

John Carmack Clone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 08:30:44 AM »

Looks absolutely gorgeous.

-- NSP

dai71th
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 05:56:52 AM »

oh my God! this is a dream! wonderful!
ruudk
Level 0

Dev on Sinner's Sorrow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 11:29:37 AM »

oh my God! this is a dream! wonderful!

Looks absolutely gorgeous.

-- NSP

Thank you for the kinds words! Appreciate it :)

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 07:56:19 AM »

Oooh, me likey. I shall be watching this. Smiley

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
ruudk
Level 0

Dev on Sinner's Sorrow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 08:36:32 AM »

Just posted a news item over at sinnerssorrow.com/news/lighting where we cover a little bit about how we tackle the lighting and what we can do with it in Sinner's Sorrow. For the easiest read with the media head on over to the website, but below you'll find the text as well. Cheers!

------------

Sinner's Sorrow is a game that relies on setting up a heavy and tense atmosphere. One of the methods we use to achieve this is with the lighting.

Below you see a simple tree branch and a couple of rocks to the left. Here you can see how the light bends around the objects and creates the illusion that we are looking at objects with mass and depth as if existing in a 3D plane, while they are still 2D images. This creates some cool possibilities to play with the lights and how they create situations for the player. For instance, what if all the lights suddenly went out and you find yourself in near darkness, relying on a small source of light that you have on you? Good luck not getting tangled up with something nasty hiding in the darkness!

Video:

This method of lighting is achieved by using something called a normal map. A normal map is a variant image of the regular image used. This variant gives the image the necessary information to react to lights passing by. For instance, the regular image and the corresponding normal map for the branch look like this:

We use SpriteDLight to automatically generate these normal maps as creating these manually is a bit too much. These images are then combined in a single shader which has parameters that can be adjusted to alter some of the image properties (such as how intensely it reacts to lights or how much the light wraps around the images). This can all be adjusted in real-time.

The lighting in Sinner’s Sorrow is a core component of the game to create the atmosphere, facilitate gameplay and set up an engaging visual style, even more so because we are working with a black and white style which brings challenges of its own. But with this style we can set up some awesome and surprising encounters.

As a teaser for what you may find in your path, below is part of a scene we are currently working on. Note that due to unavoidable video compression the in-game result actually looks a lot nicer!

Video:

Ps. If you missed the reveal trailer, you can check that out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om031JGi3aY

aevien
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 04:48:33 AM »

Very scary images Shocked
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic