Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:21:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Animating a selfie... Seriously...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Animating a selfie... Seriously...  (Read 872 times)
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2016, 09:42:18 AM »

I'm still pretty new at Spine, but I've been thinking about the idea of trying my hand at animating a single photo or sprite and attempting to "bring it to life". Finally got around last night to giving it a go. Thought I'd chronicle my first attempt and see what feedback or suggestions I get for future attempts...

To get started, I ran the selfie through a Prisma filter to give it a more painterly and gamey feel. I trimmed out the background, and cut out the eyes from the image so that I could layer the eyes and pupils for independent movement behind the eye-lid. I had to repaint the eyes after separating the pupil, but it only took a few minutes to get it all edited and into Spine.

Once in spine, I setup the image as a mesh and proceeded to add almost 500 vertices to it. I haven't done much in the form of mesh deformation so I'm sure it could be vastly improved:

Image as mesh. Eyes and pupils layered below face.

After that, was just a matter of using mesh deformation to adjust the image as needed to create a pretty basic breathing animation loop. Some of the challenges I hit as I went were:

1. Glasses. They have glare. Not ideal for meshes.
     2. A picture with wider eyes is better.
     3. A picture where you mouth was agape would allow for the mouth opening & closing.

Here is a close-up of my flaring nostrils and eye movement after putting together a pretty basic breathing loop:

It ended up with a bit of "A Scanner Darkly" look and feel, which I found a bit appealing. I think this process could easily be used for visual novels etc. If you're interested in a seeing a full size loop of the animation, you can view it here:

http://i.imgur.com/GStWJDj.gifv

It definitely needs work as neither my mesh or the image were very ideal, but overall- I was pleasantly surprised with how it turned out for a first attempt. Definitely gives me confidence that with a good image and mesh, you could convert a single image into a pretty decent animation. Any feedback, or suggestions (on mesh, process etc) I'd love to hear.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 07:43:06 PM »

fuck i want to see what you do with this

this could work really well for a detective visual novel type thing i think

powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 06:33:02 AM »

We did this about a year ago for a scene demo, it was paintings instead of photos tho. Are you using a skeleton or just morphing vertices by hand in keyframes or smth?
QuadrupleA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 07:10:16 PM »

I like it - even the glare on the glasses distorting, gives it it's own unique feel. Would be a cool art style for a game.

Weapon Hacker - roguelite metroidvania;
Battleship Solitaire - mindless podcast companion
Valo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 11:17:29 PM »

This is rather interesting! I can already see multiple uses for this in games. If it would be easy to change the mouth to open and close as well, that could be even used for cutscenes. That, however, would require some Photoshop as well.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic