Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:03:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralCurrent Events Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Current Events Thread  (Read 2606 times)
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2016, 10:15:10 AM »

I think having a single thread to discuss these instead of individual ones might clutter up the forums a little less.

Recent: Suicide Bombers Kill at Least 80 in Kabul (Wall Street Journal)

Previous

- July 23: Mall shooting in Munich
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 11:14:43 AM by FK in the Coffee » Logged
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 10:21:47 AM »

are we just going to compete who pastes news stories about terrorism in western countries fastest and then exchange some heat of the moment platitudes and regurgitate assumptions based on spotty information or what's the goal here
just so we know what's expected

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 12:37:03 PM »

i think the goal is just being aware of what's going on in the world as i understand it.

leave the rat race to post first about it to news organizations bc i dont want a part of that. but its good to have a space for it.

as far as discussion id like to think we'd have some semblance of healthy insight but this is, you know, Tigsource

anyway, the munich shit is awful. guns are awful. this is something we all know. pointlessly nihilistic violence never manages, though, to get less shocking for me. it doesn't stop being awful. which is good on the one hand because i think if i was numb to it that'd be worse. but it doesn't feel great.

i can't help but wonder if things will ever get better.

in the end, though, knowing about this is better than not. and having a place for it here is important i think. ignoring that this happens is super easy, but it's not great, i think

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 12:45:11 PM »

horrible, but we don't really know anything yet.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 12:55:30 PM »

Munich Police confirm eight shooting casualties

There are plenty of rumors floating around re: the identity of the shooters, but none of them have been confirmed, so be wary of any source that doesn't directly cite information from the police department or other government institutions
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 04:36:14 PM »

The suspect found dead on the scene is an 18 year old german-iranian.

There is a video (not sure if legit) reportedly showing a verbal exchange between an unidentified man and the suspected terrorist(?) before(?) the shooting which seems to imply that he did it as "revenge" for racist harassment. He also says "I'm a german, I was born here". He also seems insecure/confused.

If the video, which was shot from a balcony, is real then it seems more like desperation and possibly mental illness rather than organized terrorism (even "lone wolf" terrorism). Doesn't make it any less terrible of course.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 04:48:14 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 05:35:22 PM »

I guess the media could also blame ISIS or something. I don't understand what the context behind this whole thing is though.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 05:45:48 PM »

uhm, actually the video game violence moral panic era is ancient history at this point. i don't remember video games being a major angle in the coverage of any shooting or terror attack in a long time now. even when breivik mentioned call of duty in his batshit "manifesto", it was a footnote in the coverage at best and quickly forgotten. so no. also german gun laws are pretty restrictive. also if the video is real, the shooter implies that he was in mental healthcare (he uses the phrase "In Betreuung" which could mean a number of things).

immigration, multiculturalism and islam are the new bogeymen.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 05:54:28 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 06:02:07 PM »

"globalism" is an up and coming scareword in american right-wing discourse

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 06:14:53 PM »

Btw you cant feasibly connect this to ISIS either. The guy had iranian and german double citizenship, which, if he was a muslim at all, makes him likely to be shia. ISIS and other prominent radical islamist groups are sunni and consider shia islam a heresy to be eradicated. iran is of course a restrictive theocracy but foreign terrorism isn't something they do (not anymore at least). So im betting on no political or religious motivation.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 06:16:12 PM »

I know I was just making a bad meme. If it causes too much trouble I'll remove it.

If what you said earlier is true though, this is probably a case of xenophobia gone wrong. If that's the case, the lesson should be that tolerance and acceptance of other cultures is actually beneficial and that harassment is bad. Doubt the media would present it like that though, it would risk being excessively beneficial to the general population, and that's not good :^)

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 06:20:44 PM »

Also i should say that im of course shocked and i feel for the victims' families and friends (some of them were children apparently Sad ).taking a "rational" approach to tragedy just helps me cope.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 06:23:18 PM »

I know I was just making a bad meme. If it causes too much trouble I'll remove it.

nah its ok
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 02:48:29 AM »

Seems like my speculations about the shooter were probably correct.

Btw the reason im not linking anything is because my sources are in german, so not many people here can read them.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 03:22:13 AM »

I guess the media could also blame ISIS or something. I don't understand what the context behind this whole thing is though.

This is actually quite annoying because ISIS seems to be claiming any attack even remotely suspected to be terrorism regardless of whether they had anything to do with it or not. Pretty convenient for governments too, because then they can claim that any violent incident like this is terrorism and use it as an excuse to push for laws to have surveillance and the like.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 03:42:48 AM »

The western media playing along and jumping on the terrorism bandwagon every single time definitely doesn't help though. For instance, this shooting turned out to he very clearly not terrorism (which ofc doesnt make it better), but look at the coverage before the details were known.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 03:56:19 AM »

I mean otoh ISIS is of course trying to provoke "lone wolf" attacks through their propaganda. I just wish we (people living in west, collectively) didn't fall for that propaganda so often.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2016, 03:57:36 AM »

this shooting turned out to he very clearly not terrorism (which ofc doesnt make it better)
I dunno, for me the motivation behind a deed makes a lot of difference in how I relate to it. someone getting a gun and shooting people up because they went mental is a million times less scary (and less sad) to me than more people doing it for the sake of polarizing people and escalating violent spirals, with the ultimate goal of bringing about a war of civilizations or ethnic cleansing or something.

same way a "random" act of violence doesn't viscerally bother me as much as structural violence, because one is more like a fact of life and the other a terrible and depressing expression of an unjust and sick society

not that a "lunatic" shooting isn't a result of structural problems, but it's one step removed
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 04:08:16 AM by Schoq » Logged

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 06:17:30 AM »

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/07/deadly-blast-kills-10-kabul-protest-160723105351090.html
IS continue the strategy of focusing on murdering shias and minorities

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2016, 07:00:24 AM »

IS is trying to establish an islamic world order, and yet most of the people they kill are muslims.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic