Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 12:15:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Good Unity Tile Map Editor
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Good Unity Tile Map Editor  (Read 1190 times)
bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2016, 11:10:16 AM »

Does anyone know which tile map editors for Unity are worthwhile? Looking into putting together a small RPG - last time I did it, I just put my prefabs down manually, and it was a huge pain. Hoping to improve the workflow a bit.

Would prefer not to use Tiled + an importer. Trying to avoid having a bunch of open separate tools. Building everything in Unity would be preferred. Kinda wish Unity's map editor were released by now, but here we are.

Wishlist:
- Would like to be able to put down collision info on a per-tile basis.
- A "brush" or "pattern" system so if I have an image that takes up multiple tiles, I don't have to place multiple tiles manually
- An "autotile" system that will consider common patterns (ie: inner pieces, corner pieces, edge pieces, interior pieces) and choose the appropriate tile given its surroundings
- Free is good, but it doesn't have to be. I can shell out some money for a good tile.
- Ability to edit the tile prefabs in case I need to add metadata. Basically a tile should be a reference to a prefab, not just a reference to a position in a sprite sheet.
- Multiple layers
- A decent backend API so I can change tiles at runtime

It's a long list, but I reckon most of this is standard by now. Nothing that's extravagant for a tile map editor.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:55:32 AM by bdsowers » Logged

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 02:09:12 PM »

You may want to check out editors on the Asset store, starting with free ones, then cheap ones and after all fails, expensive stuff. If you still won't get what you need, you could put up an ad on some freelance site. I reckon there are some good free/cheap "in-unity" tile editors, though I haven't used any as I don't think Unity is a good engine to do 2D stuff in. But that last one is just my opinion, so don't stress your stressball over it Wink.

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 02:20:53 PM »

Yea, I've been checking out the free/cheap ones. They seem competent though a little heavy-handed. Was mostly trying to see if people had first-hand experience with this already.

I agree that Unity isn't the best for 2D at the moment. There's a lot of stuff on the roadmap that looks like they're getting it up to speed, but I expect it'll be another year or so before it's quite there. I'm sticking with it for other reasons.

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 02:27:16 PM »

Mobile dev or messing around? If the former, there are good frameworks for mobile that uses C# as a basis and won't eat up your battery in 5 minutes. If just messing around, then good for you I guess.

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic