Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:26:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessBuilding as a Publisher
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Building as a Publisher  (Read 2166 times)
Valo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 04:28:45 AM »

Ziska brings up many good points.

My issue was that you're trying to ask for more than average small publisher asks for and nothing in your portfolio warrants that kind of a cut. You should settle for less or give a sizeable funding to the project as an incentive and an act of trust. If you are willing to invest on the project you're going to publish, you'll seem confident in your abilities to get that money back and then some.

Also, those smaller publishers don't seem to actually do much. Some just resort to throwing keys  and listing you in bundles to generate enough revenue for them to benefit from the deal and that's about it. Then they'll have nice Steamspy stats of their games to show that "our games have 30 000+ owners, even though maybe 2000 of those are legitimate, non-bundle sales and maybe half of them are bundle sales.

Others are just given away for free, while they're basically just using the keys to promote their own company. With YOUR GAME and KEYS. They literally just have your game as a side note, while they exlaim in bold caps that the keys are courtesy of SHADY PUBLISHER LLC.

Personally I'd rather just self publish rather than use a smaller publisher. I have a PR background myself so maybe it's easy for me to say that. Nevertheless, I don't think smaller publisher is the answer.
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 08:29:50 AM »

My issue was that you're trying to ask for more than average small publisher asks for and nothing in your portfolio warrants that kind of a cut. You should settle for less or give a sizeable funding to the project as an incentive and an act of trust. If you are willing to invest on the project you're going to publish, you'll seem confident in your abilities to get that money back and then some.

This, pretty much, big time.

If a publisher were to approach me and offer funding right from the early stages because he believed in the project, I would probably be WAY more open to the 40% cut. It would seem more like a partnership than feeling like a possible exploitative deal.

In short: what you have to offer at the moment doesn't warrant a 40% deal I don't think.

Another thing which would be convincing would be guarantees. "We take a 40% cut but we guarantee that through dealing with us you will increase your sales by x amount." If a person ends up making more by using your services even with the 40% cut, they might be convinced to do so.

You're new to the scene but you are probably aware that indie game development but keep in mind that devs are often alone or with a very small team and work so many hours on their games, going for a share of their revenue is a very touchy topic. It can even come across as insulting if the fee is too high.

Maybe you could focus on small, low-key games which require little development time. You could then offer minimal funding and build up your credentials. When you get more money that way, you can take a stake at a promising indie game of a greater scale and cross your finger that your investment pays off.

Basically, you're either in or out. If you're in, you're in from the beginning all the way to the end, if you're out, you're out. You're not only in when the game is done to reap on the rewards.

Valo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 07:36:46 PM »

Maybe you could focus on small, low-key games which require little development time. You could then offer minimal funding and build up your credentials. When you get more money that way, you can take a stake at a promising indie game of a greater scale and cross your finger that your investment pays off.

This! Start small and build it up. Especially since it seems that no-one in the company really has an actual marketing background. Learn the ropes and learn by doing and when you're ready, take the next step up.

The guarantee of X sales would of course be fair but I don't see any publisher committing to something like that. They can give educated projections but  they won't agree to a contract where they promise some minimal amount of sales for the game. Some sort of bonus system of course could be put in place where the percent gets higher when certain sales milestones have been met.
Bravo81
Level 0

Founder - Greenlight Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 03:22:48 AM »

Thank you Valo & Zizka for your feedback, I agree that adjusting our cut and investment is a good move.
I did my best to make it clear we're new at this, starting from the bottom - so I'm happy to make changes like this.

I'd also like to follow up regarding the players for DEUL, we've not purchased a single 'fake' user or used such a service, they're all genuine players collected via social media advertising.

The GG brand & logo again genuinely (Although you wont believe me) had nothing to do with Steam Greenlight or their brand at the time. Just sucks that happened.

http://www.greenlightgames.co.uk
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2016, 04:45:54 AM »

then change your name

matwek
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2016, 08:48:15 AM »

we're new at this, starting from the bottom - so I'm happy to make changes like this.

then change your name

If you've only just started out then changing your name would make no difference really because you're not losing out on having an already established name.
Bravo81
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2016, 10:34:02 AM »

Aside from the fact that:

A) It's registered with Companies House.
B) It holds 2 bank accounts.
C) It's registered with Unity, Xbox, Sony, Oculus & Vive.
D) It's paying peoples wages(Thus has an accountant and tax returns).

So no, I wont be changing the name because it's similar to another PRODUCT - Steam Greenlight isn't even a company, Steam is the company.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2016, 12:03:54 PM »

good luck then buddy

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2016, 12:30:12 AM »

TBF, it's not like Valve invented the term greenlight.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2016, 01:43:28 AM »

what's the first thing you think when you hear the phrase "greenlight games"

Bravo81
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2016, 02:16:35 AM »

TBF, it's not like Valve invented the term greenlight.

Thank you.

Yes - I know, you think it's a game on Steam Greenlight but only if you're a developer or hardcore PC gamer.
If I'm shipping titles to Xbox & PlayStation what's the chance of them even knowing what Steam is?

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2016, 03:07:55 AM »

People will make the connection that you get games greenlit as a company however. If you have the intention of focusing on mostly other aspect of publishing, maybe it won't be to your advantage.

I personally think the logo and Greenlight Games is fine as long as it meets up with what your goal is as a company.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2016, 03:17:49 AM »

People will make the connection that you get games greenlit as a company however. If you have the intention of focusing on mostly other aspect of publishing, maybe it won't be to your advantage.
+1

Yes - I know, you think it's a game on Steam Greenlight but only if you're a developer or hardcore PC gamer.
If I'm shipping titles to Xbox & PlayStation what's the chance of them even knowing what Steam is?

When i google greenlight games , your company appear as the 4th result. Everything else is about steam greenlight.
google "greenlight" alone and steam greenlight is the first to pop, your company isn't in the first page.
Even for blackshellmedia, googling blackshell will get them as the first result.

Devolver Digital, TinyBuild are only known by developers and hardcore gamers.
NoLocality
Level 1

AssetsAssetsAssetsAssetsAssets...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2016, 08:07:25 PM »

Aside from the fact that:

A) It's registered with Companies House.
B) It holds 2 bank accounts.
C) It's registered with Unity, Xbox, Sony, Oculus & Vive.
D) It's paying peoples wages(Thus has an accountant and tax returns).

So no, I wont be changing the name because it's similar to another PRODUCT - Steam Greenlight isn't even a company, Steam is the company.

You can keep your current business name for legalities and legally operate under a different name.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic