Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:33:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeShould I upload prototypes?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Should I upload prototypes?  (Read 1892 times)
Chocky
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2016, 04:30:31 AM »

I'm thinking of creating a lot of small prototypes to see if I create anything I will be interested in developing further.

Do you think it's a good idea to upload them onto Here, Itch, Gamejolt and Newgrounds not matter how good I think they are?

Or do you think it's best to show a select number of friends?
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 04:13:59 PM »

Honestly if you think they are worth putting up then do so. Even if they are bad, people tend to forget the failures of relatively unknown developers and the more people who play your game the better.

Life sucks and then you die.
PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 02:54:31 PM »

Yeah do it! But make sure there are something new in there..

Twitter: @pbergmar
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 10:24:48 AM »

I stream games in progress so you can get valuable feedback from someone actually playing the game. I could stream the prototypes for you if you like!
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 11:40:28 AM »

Got a whole board for it https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?board=6.0

Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 05:29:33 AM »

I don't think that's a bad idea at all, honestly. I mean, especially if you're unsure what you're going to do, feedback is essential.
jasontomlee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 04:56:12 PM »

Haha That's the same question I always get when a prototype is made! I think the prototype should demonstrate the essential mechanic of your "game" (no matter how simple/small it is).

==== Creating simple Gamemaker assets & games ====

TWITTER: https://twitter.com/jasontomlee
ITCH:    https://jasontomlee.itch.io/
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 08:28:32 AM »

prototypes are good for feedback but in most cases bad for marketing. i.e. only publish prototypes on dev forums and the like.
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 01:04:47 PM »

Feedback is HIGHLY valuable in the game making process. I think it can also be dangerous, especially for projects that are early. Personally, I prefer to wait until I have a pretty clear picture in my head of what a game is before I get feedback, and I also prefer to get more thourough, critical feedback from close friends or like-minded game devs than posting something early on itch and waiting for who knows what to come in.

But that's just me. If you are trying to figure out what prototype to develop, running a few of them all the way to distribution and seeing what kind of play you get might be one of the better ways actually.

CesarD8
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 07:37:10 PM »

You could upload them to an side account, that way you can get feedback and not risk your reputation if a lot of people dont like your game, or you could upload them to game dev forums where people expect to get very rough game prototypes and simply bad games.

Darckonte
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 03:53:44 AM »

I'd post only the ones I feel comfortable showing. I mean sometimes you make a prototype only you understands. so people will not understand it unless you give exact instructions and something that tells its future development.

If it's fun for you, I'd for sure update. but just be very critical with yourself to see if its really fun and worth the effort of doing the marketing for it.

Working on Reptilians World War A PC shoot em up game with pixel art.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic