Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:34:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPirate Penguins
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pirate Penguins  (Read 646 times)
schoko
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2016, 01:46:39 PM »

A little casual arcade like game prototype about pirate penguins I made.

You can play it in the Browser. The controls are optimized for the android version though. Playing in full screen might be helpful to see all enemies. The keyboard version is a bit easy to play as you can fire all cannons at once. On Android you can use the device acceleration to create strong waves.

It would be great if you could tell me your score ( or the score when it got boring ) and maybe the FPS.

https://mitschoko.itch.io/pirate-penguines-vs-polar-bears-on-jetskis
Fincks
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 02:12:44 PM »

I scored 5500 and I lost (played 3/4 times to understand how it worked). I probably would have played it 1 or 2 more minutes as it was the first time, but definitly no more than 5 minutes.

The music made me want to stop pretty quickly as it is very aggressive.
schoko
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 01:19:48 PM »

Thx for testing Smiley

(played 3/4 times to understand how it worked)
Did you try the tutorial? What exactly was hard to understand?
Fincks
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 01:07:15 PM »

Nope, I didn't try the tutorial. I died 2 times before understanding that the icebergs were the ones making me lose.
The third time I understood that firing when the bear was almost on the boat was the best way to kill them. It's just a quesiton of timing, precision isn't necessary anymore.
XtremeDry
Level 0

Studio Rails

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 01:07:40 PM »

Played twice, I think you should make the tutorial part of the play button otherwise people will never do it and it's so short and simple that it's not going to be annoying but actually very valuable.

I found the screen too small to really plan any shots and was just button bashing a lot. Music was pretty annoying after a while.

All in all it kept me entertained for a little while but I wouldn't play again, my suggestions would be to make it require more skills so I feel like i'm achieving the kills, you could do that by zooming the screen out so you can see more, adding prompts for which direction the jetski's are coming from, that could be big old arrows flashing on the side, or more subtle with the penguins pointing in the direction.

You could also make it a bit more fast paced by having the cannons follow the mouse and removing the cannon buttons, (If you zoomed out as well then you could increase the speed of the jetskis), That should make it a bit more adrenaline packed.
schoko
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 06:43:11 AM »

Cool thanks for your reply  Smiley
PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 02:19:48 PM »

This made me laugh.. Even the water looks hilarious. I didn't get the controls at all though, instead of a tutorial just do a quick one-screen instruction of the controls before the game starts..

Twitter: @pbergmar
koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 04:17:44 PM »

The game made me smile =)

Got 2100 score before I drawned.

I really liked how ridiculous (in a good sense) and lively the game is.

Some things that I felt could improve experience:
- Make intro sequence more quicker and dynamic.
- I played with a mouse and felt like input buttons on the side are not ideal - could be better to click in the areas around penguins.
- At first I missed the moment when I actually hit the bear, so I wished for a more noticable feedback or hit reaction.

Working on a grappling-hook game about frogs DevLog
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic