Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:19:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOblivion Genesis - Visual Novel w/ RPG Mechanics - Alpha 27 / 64
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Oblivion Genesis - Visual Novel w/ RPG Mechanics - Alpha 27 / 64  (Read 1352 times)
Teslohan
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2016, 10:05:58 PM »

Oblivion Genesis
A visual novel with RPG mechanics in the form of customizable loadouts and skill-oriented turn-based combat. It's our studio's first game that takes place within the Kypal universe. The game consists of three Acts featuring unique, interconnected narratives. The first two Acts will make-up the game's vanilla release, the third Act will be patched in later as a free DLC update.

Code:
=======================================================
:      Current Phase: Open Alpha                      :
: --------------------------------------------------- :
:    Project Started: Wed Jul 13th 2016 @ 12:00am PDT :
: Kickstarter Launch: Wed Sep 14th 2016 @  3:00am PDT :
:           Progress: Day 27 of 64 @ 42.19%           :
=======================================================

Fan Community
Our Discord server will remain open to the public for the duration of our Alpha!
http://discord.me/teslohan

Jack @Teslohan

• Programming / Debugging
  • Writing: Character Dialogue
  • Writing: Lore & Exposition
  • Art: Character Design
  • Art: Character Vector Artist
  • Art: Miscellaneous Graphic Design
  • Art: Combat Environmental Art
  • Game Design: RPG Mechanics

RJ @spellbang

• Writing: Character Dialogue
  • Audio: Sound Design
  • Audio: Music Composition
  • Art: Miscellaneous Graphic Design
  • Art: Story Environmental Art
  • Game Design: RPG Mechanics

Rachel @rachelundin

• Art: Character Design
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:57:38 PM by Teslohan » Logged
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 06:05:04 AM »

Following this

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 12:31:12 PM »

Following this

is it because of me

it's ok if you say yes, my ego needs it

anyway. ANYWAY. hello! this is oblivion genesis! i'm a huge part of this game down to a deep core level at this point (handling lots of management, art, etc) so it...makes sense...for me to post here.

i got permission (by got permission, i mean, "was egged on several times") to post a cut together of some of the music I've done for the game so far, conspicuously cut together the way it's going to be in the KS trailer debuting...in a few weeks. enjoy! https://soundcloud.com/spellmynamewithabang/oblivion-trailercut/s-BW6R6

Teslohan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 12:51:46 PM »

handling lots of management
Oh no, the grex is out of the bag. My cover's been blown, abort!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 09:51:10 PM by Teslohan » Logged
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 03:27:30 PM »

...words...

Yes, I can fulfill the needs of your ego by confirming that you caused me to follow this.

Teslohan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 10:06:24 PM »

Begun implementation of an expanding 8-Key menu system for duels. The game is ideally played with a gamepad, using the four colored / shoulder buttons for each key. The D-Pad will be used whenever more precise inputs need to be made, such as selecting an item from a list of options.

The intent behind doing it this way is that the inputs are actually faster once you are used to the layout.
Teslohan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 02:32:05 PM »

The buttons at the bottom of the screen are known as "Duel Input" menus. I'm currently working on the code-base for "Duel Select" menu, which will slide in from the side after an input is made. I just finished a new animation type for the Duel Input menus. Additionally added some code that allows me to disable keys on a as-needed basis, and I was able to squash all the bugs that formed from implementing such features. : )
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 10:32:07 PM »

so for a while we had a logo that i did, which you can see here:

didn't feel distinctive or lively enough to me, so i worked on a new one, and just pretty much finished that up nice quick smart. might need a little bit more fine tuning but is BASICALLY done:

hopefully that's an improvement!

i actually kinda remembered to save my process as i worked, so here's a terrible gif for you:

Teslohan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 02:32:33 AM »

Oblivion Genesis's open-alpha has been given a final extension.
The Kickstarter will launch (with a fully playable Windows PC demo) on Wednesday, September 14th of this year.

At the time of making this post, we have 42 days remaining until we go LIVE!
More details to come in the near future. As always, your feedback is always welcome. C:
Teslohan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 03:59:55 PM »

After getting feedback from our fans, decided to stick all of the "runes" inside a single draw-event for their controller object. The rotation is handled by alternating between sub-images of the animation. The coloring, scale and transparency is handled by the engine itself. I could halve the speed of their rotation, but it would require rendering 90-frames of rotation instead of the current 45.

Now that significant progress on the BFX functions has been made, I can now move onto implementing menu functionality and player input. C :
Teslohan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 05:46:33 PM »

just spent 6 hours formatting my functions in a way that logically makes sense for an RPG of our scale. I rebuilt the sourcecode of our engine from scratch and then made everything adhere to a new set of naming conventions. With a game with as big as a scope of ours, being able to find a given script quickly when-needed will save me time in the long-haul.
Teslohan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 12:30:50 PM »

The alpha is 40% complete! :D

I spent most of yesterday evening working on the select-menu code. It was much harder than simply drawing text to the screen! What you're seeing is a sprite-based font with pixel-perfect per-character spacing and custom spacebar-width. Due to the engine not being able to use our custom values with its internal draw_text() functions, I had to create my own custom text-alignment scripts to make sure it properly placed them where-needed. Furthermore, we're making the engine treat each character as its own object-instance, this will allow from some really inventive text-animation effects on top of the total-control we have over its drawing parameters.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic