Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:31:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessI'm Looking For An Engine
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I'm Looking For An Engine  (Read 698 times)
NthingSinistr
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2016, 09:07:04 AM »

Hey Everyone, I just joined this forum, and it's because I have one very specific question I need answered. I am trying to make a seamless 2d, tile-based open world cooperative MMORPG. I know that's incredibly ambitious, but I have a lot of time, and a ton of obsession. I have experience in C++, Java and GameMaker: Studio, if that helps narrow it down any. I have a prototype in GameMaker, but I can't go any further without a better engine. Please help me!
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 11:02:14 AM »

I would really really REALLY recommend not doing an MMO. Like, "a lot of time" can't even begin to cover it. You'll get burned out and eventually have to give it up. I've seen it too many times. Start small, please.

As for engines, I like Unity. It's capable of whatever you need and it's easy to work with as a one-person-show.
NthingSinistr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 11:10:39 AM »

Thanks for the advice, and I guess I could start out with the single player aspect of the game, tacking on multiplayer long after the initial release.
Magurp244
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 02:24:38 PM »

Considering your previous programming experience i'd say your a leg up on most who have such ambitions, have you finished any previous projects? The real question though is do you have any experience in Network Programming? Network Programming is often considered a bit of a separate field with its own complexities, and much of the overhead in MMO's deals with the networking aspects, security, stability, authentication, etc. Its also not the kind of thing you want to "tack on" after the fact, as you'll have to structure the core game around sending/recieving input and/or game state, if you end up doing it that way you'd be creating a massive headache for youself.

As for engines, there a list here, as already mentioned Unity is a popular choice, along with the Unreal, and Source Engine. Considering your working with 2D you could also try using OGRE.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 05:10:54 PM »

Especially for sprite based 2D games, the leg up work isn't that expansive. I would advise to go with C++ and SDL2 and build everything you need up from there. In that case I seriously can't think how an engine would be more beneficial, except you are fine with these restrictions:

- it comes with a lot of bloat you likely don't need
- it restricts/aggravates your flexibility in defining the exact game logic you want
- its results are less reliable unless you know its internal working and play to its rules(assuming you have a way of knowing)

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 05:37:34 PM »

J-Snake has the right idea. However, be aware that using C++ and SDL2 does come with it fair share of overhead. You'll be learning a good amount of small building blocks that you need to put together yourself in order to get something showing on the screen. The power you eventually get from controlling 100% of your game's logic is worth every bit though, and it will be worth the time and effort. I recommend following lazyfoo's tutorial on how to get SDL2 running as it is quite good for beginners. You can find it with google

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic