Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:50:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeQuestion: Questarrow / guide that fits with ingame world?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Question: Questarrow / guide that fits with ingame world?  (Read 1077 times)
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2016, 12:21:42 PM »

Howdy, I'm working on a simple 2D isometric adventure-exploration game where you discover the world, lead your children, learn their language, and harvest sacrifice for the Gods. Since the player can stray anywhere I want a gentle guide towards the next objective, not just a gaudy arrow but something that sort of fits with the in-game world. Here's a screenshot; the pylon could be an example of a potential next objective to reach.

I had two ideas so far:
1) The further away you get, the more the screen dims down leaving a "shaft" of brightness pointing in the direction you need to go.
2) A small, erratically moving bee that stays slightly ahead of you (in the direction of the objective) and starts flying around your objective once you get close.

I like the second idea a bit better as it fits with the game world, but still feels a little too forced/obtuse. (But at least it doesn't scream HEY LISTEN hehe)

Thanks for your piece of mind! By the way, here's the game's page if you're curious.
eerr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 07:07:24 AM »

The darkness of a cloud, more fitting than a ray of sunlight.

After all, the vibe I get is that you are the storm, waiting to descend on the unsuspecting and the unprepared.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic