Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:22:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUnnamed Bear Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Unnamed Bear Game  (Read 3120 times)
Drew
Level 0

Hooray

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2009, 11:12:51 AM »

I'm trying to learn some Flash, so I'm making a game about a bear who fights monsters in the woods. 

The game follows some standard platforming conventions, but it has a heavy focus on using objects found in the environment.  There are rocks and logs and beehives and such scattered around that you use to defeat enemies.

I've been working on the game since the beginning of March, and so far I've created a basic platforming engine, implemented some weapons, and created some enemies.  I only have one test level at the moment, but I'm planning on expanding it soon.

I'm going for a construction-paper-cutout type look for the visual style.  I'm not sure it reads that way, but I'm happy with the visuals so far, especially considering that my visual design skills are pretty weak.  I don't have any backgrounds yet, but they will probably be kind of minimalistic.

So far, working with Flash has been awesome.  I didn't expect that it would be much different from C/SDL, pygame, or Gamemaker or whatever, but so far it seems like I'm able to get a lot more done in it in a much shorter time.  Even considering that I've had to spend a lot of time hunting through the documentation, it's still way faster for me to build things with it. 

I figured I would post status updates here.  I don't have a good track record with finishing things, but hey, who knows?
Fuzz
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 11:25:12 AM »

That's really pretty. I really dig the visual style. Very soft. It's like Little Bear crossed with ripped paper.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 11:48:59 AM »

nice bearection

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Drew
Level 0

Hooray

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 11:56:57 AM »

Thanks, Fuzz!  

And yeah, the arms don't always look like arms   Embarrassed
apegomp
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 09:58:57 AM »

//Image edited out. Lets try and be more constructive, and less /b/ - mod

:3
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:03:34 AM by Melly » Logged

Drew
Level 0

Hooray

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 10:38:05 AM »

Lips Sealed
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 11:32:53 AM »

Come now, Mr. Volumetric Pixel, we expected better of you.

The game looks charming.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 11:33:17 AM »

Good luck with the game. I'm also trying to learn Flash by making a first game in it, but am having a much rougher time at it (especially in focusing on it).

To avoid the erection-like problem one thing you could do is outline the bear in black: its limbs etc. would be more distinct if they were outlined.

Drew
Level 0

Hooray

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 01:43:16 PM »

That's a good suggestion!  I outlined the bear with a semi-transparent black, I think it looks pretty good.  It differentiates the bear from the background better, too.  I think I'll do the same with the other foreground objects.

DecipherOne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 02:19:25 PM »

Yeah, that definitely makes the ambiguity of the appendage go away. Game looks nice too.
Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 06:26:46 AM »

The visuals are very satisfying!
Looking forward to progress.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic