Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:08:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesQuadrilateral Cowboy
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Quadrilateral Cowboy  (Read 961 times)
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2016, 09:53:22 PM »

So whatdup anybody play this?

I bought it day numero-uno 'cause I'm a huge fanboy but I gotta say I was severely disappointed. It crashed twice, I had to reload levels because the deck wouldn't enter commands. That space elevator level I swear is uncompeltable without noclipping. The level design was fun and there was cool stuff and then it just ends. I beat it in three hours, maybe if the leaderboards weren't broken I'd replay to beat my friends times but other than that I kind of regret spending $20 for it.

I realize how difficult game development is but four years and this is the end result? Felt a little under-baked, maybe modding will take off for it and people'll add some more levels. I felt like so much more could have been done with the mechanics to allow you to complete levels in many different ways.

What do you guys think?

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 10:11:41 PM »

I had just seen the trailers and immediately added it to my Steam Wishlist... It looked way more complex and promising than 3 hours of gameplay, but dang that's disappointing.

First Necropolis and now this.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 10:45:17 PM »

Brendon Chung makes short games that are mostly an aesthetic so I'm not surprised that it's only a handful of hours long.

I was more pumped than a locker room full of bodybuilders on steroids for this but some other more expensive game that I was even more pumped for got released last week so I'm going to have to wait it out until after it's had its time in the spotlight before I jump in. That's going to be tough since this looks rad as hell but I can tough it out. It's character building.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 12:51:35 AM »

Brendon Chung makes short games that are mostly an aesthetic so I'm not surprised that it's only a handful of hours long.

no kidding, a handful of hours is almost baroque by his standards.

anyway, don't really have time or mental energy for this atm but will get eventually.
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 07:51:10 AM »

I expected the game to either have an amazing grand finale where everything you learnt came together with a great payoff, or more and harder puzzles, instead there was an empty and disjointed final level.

I'm mostly disappointed that it was so short and the bugginess of the game definitely doesn't help.

Elsaess
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 05:07:41 AM »

I'm enjoying this game a lot. You've gotta come at it from an aesthetic perspective. Blendo Games make 15 minute games, so I agree with Silbereisen on the game's length.

The world-building and character development is hugely enjoyable. For me, the puzzle aspect is secondary. That's very satisfying, too, but I can understand why it might be disappointing for those expecting something like The Witness. For me, the game is an aesthetic experience with puzzles tacked on.

It's a game I come back to every day on work breaks. Really enjoying it.
talum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 05:24:05 AM »

"Just turn your brain off!"
Elsaess
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 02:08:01 PM »

Precisely, talum. Brains aren't everything! Sometimes a game is just a beautiful work of art.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic