Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:36:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeIf you could put anything in an RPG, what would it be?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: If you could put anything in an RPG, what would it be?  (Read 3441 times)
dxman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2016, 04:39:50 AM »

I think progression systems are one of the places I'm willing to give up some "realism" in the name of balance and a smooth play experience. Wasn't it one of the Elder Scrolls games where people were standing in a corner just jumping up and down to level up their jumping skills?

If players are allocating points manually, they're likely putting them into categories they're using anyway, so it works out in a way anyway. To prevent the player from putting everything into one or two areas, you can impose a cap based on the overall level or some similar formula. Of course, many games use an exponential cost structure  as well.
Yellowjacket
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2016, 08:36:40 PM »

My music  Cheesy

Aside from that, I'd like to find a way to make a unique and really fun combat system.  I've always thought about how fun it would be to have 2D style fighting for combat, I think it would be a nice change from the usual menu battles! 
Peace Soft
Level 0

All magic is made from corn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 03:24:47 PM »

I think progression systems are one of the places I'm willing to give up some "realism" in the name of balance and a smooth play experience. Wasn't it one of the Elder Scrolls games where people were standing in a corner just jumping up and down to level up their jumping skills?

Yeah. It's hard to do a system like that in a way that doesn't end up incentivizing tedium. Unless all of the skills are intrinsically interesting to use, you're gonna end up with a problem.

I've been thinking about how you could make an RPG where you'd be controlling a relatively large number of people with fairly narrow roles, but like a lot of emergent complexity? Some kind of action-strategy-RPG cross between Lord of the Rings and Pikmin?
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2016, 04:07:34 PM »

That instead of a NG+ that sends you back to the beginning you get the ability to select which chapter to play.

I don't care how quickly you can get through the whole game again, that's still a waste of time compared to just going straight to the portion you're interested on. Especially since once you start a NG+, you can't return back to postgame (using that save) without being forced to get to the end of the game again.
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 04:13:43 PM »

I liked how the NG+ for Lufia 2 deviated from its scripted JRPG setup to put the player in a Roguelike 100-floor procedurally generated dungeon. It gave an already great game a ton of replay value.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2016, 03:12:16 PM »

You know, I was thinking about this some more and actually Sonic Battle mostly nails it, it lets you replay any chapter you unlocked at any moment. Only thing I'd change is adding the ability to seamlessly move onto the next chapter when you finish one (Sonic Battle instead rolls the credits and returns back to the title screen at the end of every chapter), but that's a minor change really.
zombieonion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2016, 02:41:11 PM »

Better ways to describe human interactions than "dialogue options" or "dialogue wheel".

Also +1 to what Prinsessa said, about alternate paths and more creative ways to solve problems.
NineTattooedDragons
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2016, 05:05:12 AM »

For me, good dialogue is what makes a great RPG. I remember playing through Shadow Madness on the PSOne, which was a terrible game in almost every way except (seriously -- very low level cap so you one-hit enemies, terrible cut-scenes) except for the fact that it had some of the best dialogue I've ever seen in a game. Seriously, the game was hilarious. I can forgive shortcomings in almost all other aspects as long as the story is good.

ShuyanSaga.com/
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic