Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:05:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallGameCOG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: GameCOG  (Read 3463 times)
TD Games
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2009, 01:28:40 PM »

http://www.GameCOG.net

What is GameCOG?
In short, GameCOG is a website that provides independent game developers, designers and enthusiasts, an active environment to create and design, develop and discuss their game ideas and projects.

GameCOG is not a website such as YoyoGames, but rather a place for developers to post their project, giving in-depth explanations on how the game will work and function. Developers can use it as a place to store design documents, or get feedback on how their project works and functions, discuss game development methods, and, overall, design their games.

Anyone is welcome to post their projects, whether they are just basic concepts and ideas, or already full in development with demos and screenshots. We want to have an active environment for developers to create and develop their games, not just show them off to the world so people can say "Nice Game , 4/5".

Recent Updates
- [April 11/09] First (official) release of GameCOG.
- [April 11/09] Projects added back in and tested
- [March 23/09] GameCOG being remade from scratch
- [Jan ??/09] GameCOG first released on the Zerosoft Games Community

Updates to come
- Add Review process for Projects
- Add blogs back in
- Make the "Edit Account" button direct you to your account
- Fix My Account link
- Add "Recent Project Activity"
- Add change log to Projects
- Bug fixes (particularly in IE)
- More

GameCOG Support
GameMold, AndyWiltshire NZ: Helping with the website design, and giving a lot of great advice, including how to make the website more user friendly, and lastly creating the logo
Tdub311: For helping me get the website set up with SMF, and also creating the awesome BB scripts and Preview scripts, as well as giving a lot of support
DesertDweller: For giving advice, helping with the forum a lot, and figuring out some tough errors and bugs
The Berryster: For creating some nice graphics for the website, as well as just being really supportive
FlankAttack: For constantly telling me to get stuff done. It helped me finish stuff and get working
Drazzke: For building the entire website from scratch and constantly updating and maintaining the site
ZeroSoft Games Community: For being supportive and giving lots of feedback (The Zerosoft community has now been closed)
All of the fabulous beta testers

View bug list here
- There are some small design bugs with IE. Most of these should be very minor, but if you do encounter any, please report them.

Cheers,
TD Games
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 06:20:00 AM by TD Games » Logged
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 04:43:49 PM »

Sounds interesting, but it would probably be helpful if you included, you know, an actual link Giggle
TD Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 06:19:01 AM »

Ah damn, I'm an idiot. Tongue
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 06:57:11 AM »

So...a free game development blog, basically?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 08:43:25 AM »

It's good but the writing really needs some editing.

"GameCOG, in collaboration with GameMold, have created this website to provide game developers, designers and enthusiasts, an active environment to create and design, develop and discuss their game ideas and projects."

That reads like it was written by a 5th grader or someone who just recently learned English.

mirosurabu
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 09:18:26 AM »

Paul,

For the sake of my understanding of English language, can you explain what's wrong with the text you quoted?

The project sounds interesting, I will check it out.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 10:29:08 AM »

Paul,

For the sake of my understanding of English language, can you explain what's wrong with the text you quoted?

The project sounds interesting, I will check it out.

I don't think the grammar is that bad, but I believe 'have' should be 'has' (since GameCOG is singular), and there are some misplaced commas.  I'm not a grammar whiz though, so I could be wrong.
TD Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 11:40:36 AM »

I will talk to Drazzke about this because he is the one who wrote the text which appears on the website.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 11:45:17 AM »

There's the have/has thing, but the thing that stands out for me is mainly the commas. The way the enumeration of developers, designers, and enthusiasts is followed by "an" also feels funny, it'd read better as "with an". The and's are also too many in "to create and design, develop and discuss". It also uses the passive voice, which generally make writing weaker.

Original: "GameCOG, in collaboration with GameMold, have created this website to provide game developers, designers and enthusiasts, an active environment to create and design, develop and discuss their game ideas and projects."

How I'd comma it: GameCOG, in collaboration with GameMold, has created this website to provide game developers, designers, and enthusiasts with an active environment to create, design, develop, and discuss their game ideas and projects.

It still feels too wordy (why put all that info in one sentence?) but that at least reads like how people speak. It feels like it wouldn't be a huge loss in information to just write something like:

"This is GameCOG, a place where game developers and enthusiasts can discuss their game ideas."

That removes largely overlapping redundant words, and removes the GameMold part because game developers and enthusiasts don't really need to know that, its info that could go in the About page or something.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 01:25:59 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

mirosurabu
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 01:22:50 PM »

Aha. I see your point. Thanks.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 08:37:52 PM »

I was a tester at SOE in San Diego for a while, and I lost count of how many times I had to submit grammar bugs because of commas, especially with the word 'however' (it was a sports game so there was lots of text).  I tried not to be a Grammar Nazi though because we already had one, and I'm not extremely knowledgeable myself.  I got a nasty look once because I had to correct some of his grammar corrections  Roll Eyes

Oh, I'm probably derailing the thread.  Sorry, no more about this!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 03:31:18 AM »

Oh, I don't mind bad grammar at all in casual conversation. I skip it myself in LiveJournal or on forums. I just think that on professional websites it's important.

Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 01:54:21 PM »

Thanks for pointing out the errors. I'll fix it Wink

As far as thee actual site goes, does anyone have any comments/suggestions?

TD Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 02:17:45 PM »

Attention all GameCOGGERS! 

GameCOG is [very] proud to announce its first GameCOG Jam. Over a period of 1 week, participating GameCOGGERS will be given the opportunity to devote their free game dev time to one project with a small team, consisting of no more than three members. At the end of the week, games will be presented, and after a brief judging period, winners will be announced.

The following is a timeline for the comp, assuming all goes as planned:

April 13: Announce Jam
April 16 & 17: Admins team up participants
April 18: Announce teams and Start Jam (About 9AM GMT - 6 teams and theme will be decided, and poll closed)
April 25 (9PM GMT - 6): End Jam
April 29: Announce winners (giving judges 3 days to judge)

Note that this means that the competition has not started yet. It begins on this Saturday right after we announce the theme.

The following rubric will be used for judging games:

Theme: --------/25
Gameplay: -----/25
Graphics: ------/20
Plot/Design: ----/20
Music: ---------/15
Other: ---------/5

The Other category could be anything from whether or not you used the default Game Information to whether or not you properly credited people. Note that we have not yet decided if we will release actual numbers for each game. [as in 20/25 graphics, 19/25 theme, etc.]

The winner will simply the game that has the greatest average score. If there is a tie, all tying games will be re-scored withe the Other category. If a tie still remains, categories will be eliminated from evaluation from bottom-up. (meaning first Music, then Plot/Design, etc.)

Now, as for prizes. We don't have any money to shell out, [as of yet?] so this is what we have to offer:

First prize: Full game review and primary focus of front page of GameCOG + Badge
Second and Third Prize: Short game review and secondary focuses of front page of GameCOG + Badge
Other contestants: Short game review on request and link to game on front page + Participant Badge

Take it or leave it. This competition, since it is the first, will largely be out of the love for game developing. Future ones may or may not be different.

There is also going to be a poll going on from now till Saturday. (here if you want another link  ) Each admin (with the exception of tdub who acquiesced his choosing to chainsawkitten) chose a theme to put in the poll. Vote for whichever one you want to vote for, and the one with the most votes will be used for the Jam. Interpret the theme however you like.

GameCOG reserves the right to disqualify any participant or game for any reason. We won't be very strict, but try to keep your games legal, safe, and kid-friendly.

The forum topic goes into a lot more detail, so be sure to check that out for information about forming teams, and letting us know you'd like to participate.

It is expected that all participants, regardless of skill in game development, conduct themselves in an honorable manner.

If you have any questions, feel free to post in the forum topic (need I give another link?  ) or PM any of the staff members listed here at the GMC or GameCOG.

http://www.igd.dual-servers.com/forum/index.php/topic,43.msg569.html#new
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic