Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:04:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsN°7
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: N°7  (Read 3189 times)
Eduardo64
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2016, 09:27:35 AM »

N°7 is a action game procedurally-generated as the player goes down!

Story
The robot number 7 is a AI experiment! (that's all i can say right now).

Progress
I've been working on it for 3 months now! But most of the engine is part of others games i've been working some (12) months ago, so there's lots of work put into it already. I wanted the game to be a really small, but i can't stop having ideas and there's still lot's of working to do. 

Platforms
The game was imagined to be played with a gamepad on desktop (Linux and Windows), unlike the screen size shows, the game is not 'mobile first'. The reason the screen is that size, is because of my hardware limitations! My PC is 9 years old with a onboard graphics card, i'm hoping to upgrade my PC very very soon, so the screen size will change.

Engine
I'm programming in haxe and using the luxe engine, that is part of snowkit.

Who is working on the game
Only me! I do the programming, art, animations and everything else it needs. Even the music i'm planning to do myself!

Links:
Twitter: @edoardolopes
Tumblr: square64
Pixeljoint: square64

I'm working on the game every week, so i expect to keep this devlog very active. I hope you like it, i'm looking forward for your comments!

See you.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:25:06 AM by Eduardo64 » Logged
next2indies
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 09:36:26 AM »

Nice looking, great taking into account you're in your own :D

What mechanics do you expect to implement? For now I see basic movement, jumping and shooting, and these "crates" seem to be there for a reason. How do it will be played / what the player will need to do?

Are you using a custom engine or a third party one?

¡Cheers!

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 09:46:04 AM »

the art is jawdrop pretty

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 10:37:04 AM »

definitely gives me a VVVVV sorta feel (fuck me, how the hell do you say VVVVV? is it more or less Vs?)

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Eduardo64
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 10:39:43 AM »

Nice looking, great taking into account you're in your own :D

What mechanics do you expect to implement? For now I see basic movement, jumping and shooting, and these "crates" seem to be there for a reason. How do it will be played / what the player will need to do?

Are you using a custom engine or a third party one?

¡Cheers!

The main objective is survive as much time as you can, so the AI experiment can succeed! Right now, the crates are like the crates on super crate box, a different weapon each time the player collect then. For now, all the player can do is shoot enemies and collect stuff (and will need to avoid traps soon). I'm planning to add even bosses, but i can't confirm that right now, though i'm in really early stage of development.

About the engine. I'm programming in haxe and using the luxe engine, that is part of snowkit. I just edited the post to point that out!

Thanks! :D

Edit: I think i missundertood what do you mean by "crates", those are actually chips, and i'm thinking about remove them from the game. My initial idea was the player to collect them, the more you collect, the better, but doesn't seem like fun. I'm still working on the idea.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 11:32:56 AM by Eduardo64 » Logged
Eduardo64
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 10:50:30 AM »

the art is jawdrop pretty

Thank you! Smiley

definitely gives me a VVVVV sorta feel (fuck me, how the hell do you say VVVVV? is it more or less Vs?)

Now that you're saying i see a little bit, i think it's the strips on the tileset.

People say it pronounces just "V"!
Eduardo64
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 12:13:19 PM »

This week i've drawn the new "Cannon" sprite and animations.

Here this week gif's, it shows some gameplay:

I couldn't work more because i'm having some touble with one of my hard drivers, actually i think i already lost it, and i can't recover it. I didn't lost important data, i managed to backup most of the stuff i wanted, and i have a copy of the game on bitbucket, so it's everything ok with the game files. But, right now, i'm unable to develop the game. I'll try to compile the program i use for pixelart, and reeinstall all the engine stuff i need. Hope it will work.

I really need a new computer. Now that i have only one hard drive, it mess up with the computer upgrade i was planning. Now i need to find another solution.

Anyways, i can't stop. I hope next week i'll have something new in the game to show here!

see you!
bacon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 12:57:33 PM »

Looking very Downwell right now, but looking forward to what it turns into. I feel like you need a bit more color variation? The one-color shaded thing feels like it would get tired pretty quickly. Also, how is luxeengine these days? I was around when sven first started posting about it and I got very excited (having been a big fan of HaxeFlixel), but it seemed like it sort of stagnated in terms of documentation and such.

CANTATA
lobstersteve
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 04:03:12 AM »

Looks cool Smiley
I watched a talk from the downwell dev once and he was talking about how he wanted to make a spelunky-like game first, where you are falling down and avoiding traps. That kinda looks like downwell..before it was downwell.
Eduardo64
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 07:33:12 AM »

Looking very Downwell right now, but looking forward to what it turns into. I feel like you need a bit more color variation? The one-color shaded thing feels like it would get tired pretty quickly. Also, how is luxeengine these days? I was around when sven first started posting about it and I got very excited (having been a big fan of HaxeFlixel), but it seemed like it sort of stagnated in terms of documentation and such.

Yeah, Downwell is a inspiration, but i want to go in another direction. When i finally got a new computer, i'll change the screen size and that will change a lot of things. I'll work more on the colors, i need to add more, but i'm still thinking about that!

About Luxe Engine. I really really like it, for me it's great! There's a commercial release on steam and others stores already, and sven made the port of threes for web using luxe engine as well (postportem part 1). The documentation is pretty much the same as it started, but you can ask anything on the chat and the people there will help you. There's the tests for all the features too, that you can check it on the luxe repository. Now days sevn is working on the new render, and luxe engine will get really fast once it's done. I'm really looking forward to it!
Eduardo64
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 09:51:36 AM »

I can relate to the whole computer issue thing... good luck! The game has a really cool look so far!

Thank you!

Looks cool Smiley
I watched a talk from the downwell dev once and he was talking about how he wanted to make a spelunky-like game first, where you are falling down and avoiding traps. That kinda looks like downwell..before it was downwell.

Thanks! I'm curious to watch the talk you're talking about, would be nice if you share the link.

Most of my game ideas have this infinite procedurally generated thing in mind, like going down a giant tower or going up. Or even this top down game i made for the js13kgames competition.

I have Downwell as one of my inspiration. But my main inspirations are games like Super Metroid, Super Crate Box and Cave Story.
bacon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 06:54:13 PM »

Yeah, Downwell is a inspiration, but i want to go in another direction. When i finally got a new computer, i'll change the screen size and that will change a lot of things. I'll work more on the colors, i need to add more, but i'm still thinking about that!

About Luxe Engine. I really really like it, for me it's great! There's a commercial release on steam and others stores already, and sven made the port of threes for web using luxe engine as well (postportem part 1). The documentation is pretty much the same as it started, but you can ask anything on the chat and the people there will help you. There's the tests for all the features too, that you can check it on the luxe repository. Now days sevn is working on the new render, and luxe engine will get really fast once it's done. I'm really looking forward to it!

Thanks for responding! Glad to know it's still chugging along but sad the documentation is still in the state it was nearly two years ago. HaxeFlixel suffered the same fate, but I do have a lot of excitement for luxe and may pick it up again for some side projects. Looking over the pages of the docs I'm already finding myself drawn back in...

CANTATA
lobstersteve
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 06:03:15 AM »

I'm curious to watch the talk you're talking about, would be nice if you share the link.

Smiley

I have Downwell as one of my inspiration. But my main inspirations are games like Super Metroid, Super Crate Box and Cave Story.
Yeah, i understand. It's just that downwell made the idea of going down so popular, it instantly came to my mind. I understand of course, that there were other games about going down before downwell and your game can have other inspirations Smiley
Eduardo64
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 09:56:08 AM »

Yeah, i understand. It's just that downwell made the idea of going down so popular, it instantly came to my mind. I understand of course, that there were other games about going down before downwell and your game can have other inspirations Smiley

Sorry if i kinda sounded rude, it wasn't my intention. Smiley

Thanks for share the video. :D
Eduardo64
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 10:22:26 AM »

This week i added a new color to the color palette and made some experiments with others colors as well (on sprites that it's not on the game yet). The colors will help the player detect what is "good" or "bad" stuff.

I changed the cannon animation, though it needs some polishment.

And now the player can shoot up and down too. I'm Still working on that!

About the Hard Drive problem: i gave up trying to recover it and i reinstalled everything i need on the other hard drive i have. I don't know why, but everything is slower now, anyways i'm still doing stuff!
Yong
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 12:17:48 AM »

I think the player's bullets and the cannons' bullets being of the same colour might not be good for readability.

But cool game you got going! Looking forward to more updates.

Eduardo64
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 07:29:02 AM »

Thank you! The bullets still needs a sprite, i'll work on that soon! Smiley
Eduardo64
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 07:16:01 AM »

Hi people.

This week i didn't work on n°7, but i made a jam game for the 365 indies jam

Super 365 Quest

I'm pretty happy with the results.  Smiley

Edit: The link for the game was wrong, now it's fixed!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 06:46:26 AM by Eduardo64 » Logged
Eduardo64
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 07:00:42 AM »

This week, i decided to turn most the n°7 features into a game engine on top of luxe engine. So, i rewrote some code, not only copy-past. I'm making it easy to create stuff!

This is the game code changes:

this is the game engine changes:
Sankar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 07:40:26 AM »

Hey Eduardo, nice to see a fellow brasileiro around!

I'm enjoying your work so far, and I think the palette you have chosen is just fantastic! Keep up

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic