Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:36:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativePokemon GO. Similar ideas?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Pokemon GO. Similar ideas?  (Read 2891 times)
tommy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2016, 11:24:12 PM »

I'm using Mapzen right now, and it's really solid, but I'm not sure how well it'll scale.

I didn't know about Mapzen. I'll check it out. I've looked at Mapbox myself. It's free up to a certain amount of connections per month (not a whole lot of connections though, and the prices increase pretty sharply if you need more than the basic amount of connections).

Eventually, if the game starts taking off, I will get some servers. You're definitely right about the multiplayer tho, and the cheating is definetly a big concern, but I'm hoping there's a way to combat this without reporting everything to the server.

I'm not going to say this is impossible, because nothing is impossible, but it's definitely very difficult. Even reporting everything to the server is not enough -- the server actually has to make the decisions. For instance, if you let each client spawn its own enemies and its own loot, then someone will make a hacked client that spawns level 1 enemies with level 100 loot. It's a lot of trouble to make a hacked client, though, and people will only do this if the game becomes really popular, but I feel that we should plan for success.

Strategy and rougelike were my first ideas, but I can't see how to make these work with GPS. I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

You could make a basic roguelike-like just copying the exact formula from Pokemon Go. Instead of catching monsters you fight enemies and collect loot. Instead of getting better and better pokeballs, you get better and better weapons, spells and armor. You can have ranged and melee weapons (if you have a ranged weapon, you can attack an enemy from afar, if you have a melee weapon, you have to walk up close to the enemy). Instead of pokestops and gyms, your map can contain taverns and merchants. I'm kind of tempted to try and make something like this, if I can find the time and energy.

I'm in Canada, trust me I have winter in mind  Cheesy I'm thinking some audio-based gameplay could help combat this (eg. take your pokemon for a walk, your phone is closed and all input is through earphones).

Another thing that could work for playing in winter, would be if you could actually do a lot of things from your house. For instance, if you made a strategy game that required collecting resources, you could have the player place outposts, coal mines, lumbermills, farms, etc. around the map, and then subsequently control his empire from his living room. You could maybe have certain buildings (forward HQs) that would let the player interact with the map around it as if he was physically there.
ahmio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2016, 08:29:16 PM »

Eventually, if the game starts taking off, I will get some servers. You're definitely right about the multiplayer tho, and the cheating is definetly a big concern, but I'm hoping there's a way to combat this without reporting everything to the server.

I'm not going to say this is impossible, because nothing is impossible, but it's definitely very difficult. Even reporting everything to the server is not enough -- the server actually has to make the decisions. For instance, if you let each client spawn its own enemies and its own loot, then someone will make a hacked client that spawns level 1 enemies with level 100 loot. It's a lot of trouble to make a hacked client, though, and people will only do this if the game becomes really popular, but I feel that we should plan for success.

True enough (sadly  Cheesy). I've come up with some interesting ideas to heavily cut down on server communication though. I like the planning for success part.

Strategy and rougelike were my first ideas, but I can't see how to make these work with GPS. I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

You could make a basic roguelike-like just copying the exact formula from Pokemon Go. Instead of catching monsters you fight enemies and collect loot. Instead of getting better and better pokeballs, you get better and better weapons, spells and armor. You can have ranged and melee weapons (if you have a ranged weapon, you can attack an enemy from afar, if you have a melee weapon, you have to walk up close to the enemy). Instead of pokestops and gyms, your map can contain taverns and merchants. I'm kind of tempted to try and make something like this, if I can find the time and energy.

I like the idea, but there's 2 problems I'm seeing. #1 is how to make it not become repetitive (Pokemon avoids this because of the "Catch them all" keeping you going. Permadeath solves this, but the second problem is permadeath will turn off a lot of players (there's a reason rougelikes never really caught on).

I'm in Canada, trust me I have winter in mind  Cheesy I'm thinking some audio-based gameplay could help combat this (eg. take your pokemon for a walk, your phone is closed and all input is through earphones).

Another thing that could work for playing in winter, would be if you could actually do a lot of things from your house. For instance, if you made a strategy game that required collecting resources, you could have the player place outposts, coal mines, lumbermills, farms, etc. around the map, and then subsequently control his empire from his living room. You could maybe have certain buildings (forward HQs) that would let the player interact with the map around it as if he was physically there.

Very good idea. Thanks!
mike96
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 03:44:49 AM »

Just like you guys, I was so smazed with pokemon go" that I started exploring the development part of it. And little search made it clear to me that Augmented Reality is the next Big thing in Gaming . And that Pokemon is just the begining ofa number of games on similar concept to be launched. Gaming is so fun .

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic