Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:49:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopDeveloping a Style
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Developing a Style  (Read 2610 times)
mosquito
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2016, 12:04:53 AM »

Hello!

I'm a pretty seasoned game programmer, and I've decided I finally want to put initiative into touching up my artistic ability to create a project that both looks good and functions well.

I'm planning to make a 2D top down type of game, and I want some help with critique. My first drafts here aren't very good, and I think I might redesign with a thicker body or something soon.

Note, I'm very new to this, I've taken large inspiration from Legend of Wizard, Legend of Dungeon, and Sword & Sorcery. I'm going to do my best to take critique constructively rather than critically.

Also, what is a common program to use for creating developed sprites and specifically smooth animations. I appreciate the work that I've seen on this forum, and was wondering what programs are preferred, I bought Aseprite.
mosquito
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 01:27:17 PM »

I've tried to refine the walk cycle a little bit more and came up with these results:

Any thoughts? Not sure if I like the arms too much.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 10:16:52 PM by mosquito » Logged
PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 01:43:46 PM »

That walk cycle looks nice, but it's missing arm movement. I like one pixel arms and legs so I think it looks pretty nice. Try to come up with a sweet color palette, and put your characters on some kind of background. I would say don't add too much detail.. With this kind of style you might even be able to take some away..

Twitter: @pbergmar
ndnninja15
Level 1

I make games

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 12:51:35 PM »

I think it needs some arm movement and a bit of shading. Right now it appears flat.
Maybe this little tutorial would help, if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.manningkrull.com/pixel-art/walking.php
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic