Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:53:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDead Gear - A 2D Platformer-RPG Metroidvania for Windows/OSX/Linux
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dead Gear - A 2D Platformer-RPG Metroidvania for Windows/OSX/Linux  (Read 3860 times)
AlexMO
Level 0

You better watch out! He knows about TIMED HITS!

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2016, 06:17:40 PM »

UPDATE: I started over from scratch; and have begun work on this project as a full-time job, which can be followed here. https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=66634.0

========================

Dead Gear is a 2D Action-Adventure (or Metroidvania) game with RPG elements, an enormous world to explore, and a complex storyline that can result in over 12 completely different endings, depending on how you play.

I work professionally as a game designer, and Dead Gear is a personal project I've been working on for a few years now in my spare time. Here's the main website for it: http://www.deadgeargame.com/

The story follows a young mage-in-training named Illyia, whose airship crashes into a mysterious place known as the Dead Gear. Illyia must reunite with her missing twin sister, and find a way back home. But gradually, things start to get complicated...

There are dozens of characters in Dead Gear that Illyia can recruit and interact with, each with their own motives and storylines. Each character has the potential to meet an untimely end, depending on Illyia's choices and actions. No character is safe in the end, and you can't save them all.

There are 12 major endings, and being fairly modular depending on choices made, there are several variations of each ending, resulting in over 50 total different endings.

There are over 20 different distinct areas to explore, from a magical garden floating in the middle of the sky, to a technological facility deep underground, to an ancient, snow-covered present-day metropolis. Illyia must piece together what happened on the Dead Gear.

Illyia can level herself up by using the SAVE Personal Upgrade System (but your resources are finite!); you can't max out everything, so make your choices count.

Dead Gear is a definite passion project for me, a sort of love letter to Metroidvanias and RPGs I've played over the ages. I'm hoping to release it within the next year or two, and I'll try to keep this log updated as well, as well as implement a mailing list.

If you're curious about progress, you can always just check my twitter at @Kirbychwan , where I generally just post about Dead Gear-related stuff, as well as the official website, again here: http://www.deadgeargame.com/

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 11:26:08 PM by AMO_Crate » Logged
Camx
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 08:52:26 PM »

Wow! This looks very impressive! Great job already. Can't wait to see the combat in action.

AlexMO
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 09:20:08 PM »

Thanks! Hope to have some more videos up in the coming months.
pixelmeat
Level 0

@pixelmeat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 12:14:17 AM »

I really like the art and the concept. Looks to me like a Fallout meets Relica, very interesting, gonna follow it!
It'd have been awesome if you had posted this some time ago, so we could have seen and follow the progress from the early stages ^^  Blink

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 12:28:53 AM »

Looks promising! I really like the light shafts on that first screen. I have problems making mine look even passable. Keep it up!

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 12:38:10 AM »

Really nice! Good luck with this project!

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 07:05:50 AM »

This looks really good! Good luck with it! Smiley

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 09:58:16 AM »

This looks pretty fantastic.

Why is the SAVE screen so stylistically different from all the other screens? Is there a reason there, or is that early in dev, or...?

XtremeDry
Level 0

Studio Rails

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 10:25:52 AM »

Love the look of this!! Awesome work, I'll be watching the progress Smiley.

But agree with bdsowers, the save screen looks like something straight out of fallout and doesn't seem to match the rest.
Rajah
Level 0

Bonjour, j'aime la bière et le saucisson.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 11:56:56 PM »

Looks like a really cool project, that art is awesome. Good luck! Hand Thumbs Up Left

English isn't my mother tongue so expect ugly typos and weird wording :D

>> An Aeon Story
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 09:35:27 AM »

I like the game's style. Smiley

Have you considered adding details to the gear in the logo?  Something like the background gears or the ones in the dialogue background.

I'm thinking of something along the lines that if you only show the logo, it could still give a sense of the style/theme (or at least a little bit).

AlexMO
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 10:41:58 AM »

Fair point; maybe I'll experiment with it a bit!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 11:36:38 AM by Kirbychwan » Logged
th3shark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 06:59:37 PM »

This looks spectacular.  The look, the characters, the setting are all intriguing and makes me want to play.  In-game screenshots of levels with actual design instead of being completely flat surfaces is a good sign that it's mechanically sound too!  I'm definitely keeping an eye on this.  Good luck!
Griffith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 06:08:31 AM »

I saw this a while ago on your twitter but I noticed it's come on a lot since then. Looking really good, are you doing the art yourself or did you hire help?

freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 11:36:47 PM »

wooow ! O_O Amazing

My last game:

Supporter of
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic