Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:52:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNintendo Switch (formerly NX)
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 59
Print
Author Topic: Nintendo Switch (formerly NX)  (Read 66285 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 31, 2016, 12:07:18 PM »

Fixed  Wizard

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 18, 2016, 09:53:01 PM »

know how to milkone video

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 29, 2016, 03:58:20 PM »

They have traditionally snobed nintendo

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 30, 2016, 12:50:50 PM »

that seems more like a cookie cutter PR statement than anything serious lol
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 30, 2016, 01:06:54 PM »

yes but they had a tradition to use way more neutral PR statement in the past toward nintendo, that's why I took the leap to post it. Bethesda were also uncharacteristically positive, and by that I mean it was actually increasing in positivity, but they had a tech demo on the switch used a PR material so that's less of a news. I mean there is a difference with usual "we are looking into it"

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 08, 2016, 02:01:47 AM »

President of Nintendo of America Reggie Fils-Aimé guides Jimmy through Super Mario Run before debuting the Nintendo Switch game system by playing The Legend of Zelda in front of creator Shigeru Miyamoto.

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: December 08, 2016, 04:10:39 AM »

Jimmy is way too excited with the Switch.

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #387 on: December 08, 2016, 02:56:44 PM »

well yeah nintendo pays him to be excited

not trying to be too cynical, but it's still an advertisement you're voluntarily watching.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 08, 2016, 03:03:05 PM »

That's not the first time

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 15, 2016, 07:41:08 AM »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1325344
Nintendo files multiple Nintendo Switch patents (controller, dock, architecture*)

- Seems to confirm right joycon has an IR sensor (ie pointer).
- Both Joycons have rumble motors
- NFC is in the right Joycon as well
- The grip controller is basically a battery pack

So far: touch screen, IR, NFC, SD card, rumble, different layout joycons, cardboard style VR, USB C, joycon controller battery, joycon horizontal L&R buttons, four players with single joycons each, prints money and Higher fan rotation when docked?

The main unit 2 can also capture an image of a hand of a user (specifically, the vein pattern of the hand) by means of the infrared image-capturing section 123, to thereby authenticate (specifically, by vein authentication) a user based on the captured image. Moreover, the main unit 2 can also measure the pulse of a user by capturing an image of a hand of the user by means of the infrared image-capturing section 123. That is, where infrared light output onto and reflected by a hand of a user is detected by the infrared image-capturing section 123, the main unit 2 can calculate the pulse of the user based on changes in the reflected waves.

[0479] In addition to (or instead of) identifying a gesture input, the infrared image-capturing section 123 may be used to calculate the position and/or the orientation of the right controller 4 with respect to a predetermined marker. For example, a user may place a marker at an intended position (e.g., around the display 12 or around the TV 6), and perform an operation of moving the right controller 4 within such a range that the infrared camera can capture an image of the marker. Note that the marker may be made of a material that reflects infrared light, for example. Then, the information processing device 1 can calculate the position and/or the orientation of the right controller 4 with respect to the marker based on the image-capturing results from the infrared image-capturing section 123. Moreover, the information processing device 1 can execute an information process by using the calculated information as a user's operation input.

All 3 of them.
Accelerator Sensor and Angular Velocity Sensor are pretty much the gyroscope together.
It's on the console itself, and each of the Joy-Cons.

[0418] The main unit 2 includes the ambient light sensor 94 for detecting the intensity of the ambient light around the main unit 2. The ambient light sensor 94 is connected to the CPU 81, and the detection results of the ambient light sensor 94 are output to the CPU 81. In the present embodiment, the ambient light sensor 94 is used to adjust the brightness of the display 12. That is, the CPU 81 controls the brightness of the display 12 based on the detection results of the ambient light sensor 94.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1325226
Ventura Beat: Nintendo Switch graphics are based on Nvidia's Maxwell Architecture

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: December 15, 2016, 10:22:30 AM »

Ah hah! So that's how Nintendo intends to implement an experimental VR setup! I seriously question the possible performance of such a solution. It would be little better than the current phone-related VR headsets that we've been seeing. I especially question whether or not the resolution of the Switch's screen would be up to the challenge, though I suppose the refresh rate would be what is really important. But it is still a way for Nintendo to play around with VR for very little overall cost. Those headset "docks" are way cheaper to produce, even if they have to have sensors built into them. A $50 - $100 accessory is a bit easier to pitch than the $400+ headsets that all the other companies are trying to sell.

But of course, this is all speculation, even with a patent filing. You can patent a device that you never actually produce or sell. Still, fairly interesting to see this concept thrown around.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: December 15, 2016, 07:02:13 PM »

It should at least be on par with high end mobile VR solutions. If the console is cheap enough, let's say... $250 and the headset a $100 accessory, it would be the cheapest VR thing around. And with motion controllers built in!

But what makes me happy there is the confirmation of IR and motion controls, hopefully that will lead to some HD remakes of Wii games like Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword.

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: December 15, 2016, 08:52:11 PM »

But what makes me happy there is the confirmation of IR and motion controls, hopefully that will lead to some HD remakes of Wii games like Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword.

The far more likely outcome would be supporting the Wii as a platform in the Virtual Console. This might allow for some Wii games emulated in higher resolutions, but generally only a few titles get the "remastered" treatment. That said, I would expect to see quite a few Nintendo ports, especially early on in the Switch's lifespan. I just don't think that most of those will come from the Wii. Most will come from the WiiU. The minuscule sales numbers for the WiiU means that a large portion of Nintendo's intended audience for the Switch haven't played most WiiU games. Which means that any number of them could enjoy a second chance at sales if they get ported natively to the WiiU. Not exactly an optimal solution for the Nintendo faithful who showed up for the WiiU. But for everyone else, especially developers, this would be an ideal scenario.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: December 16, 2016, 01:00:56 PM »

It should at least be on par with high end mobile VR solutions. If the console is cheap enough, let's say... $250 and the headset a $100 accessory, it would be the cheapest VR thing around. And with motion controllers built in!

At first I was thinking, "Haha, what? No way," but this might not be bad as a VR tool. A phone is what most people think about when they think of low-cost VR, but phones have Android or iOS on top that the Switch wouldn't have - it might be able to run smoother, with a higher FPS, or even possibly with a higher resolution when working with VR at a cost to battery life and heat, I guess (just theorizing).

Home VR also has wires and has to be plugged in, which the Switch wouldn't - it might be an effective, low-cost VR tool with a very low barrier to entry and usage.

As for remakes, heck yeah, I want to see some U and Wii remakes or ports for Switch. I'd really like to transfer my hard disk copy of Xenoblade X over to the Switch, but that's probably never going to happen. I guess I'll have to sell my U copy and purchase the Switch version (assuming it comes out).

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 19, 2016, 08:10:21 AM »

more specs confirmation

edit:
- Switch will be over 50% more powerful than the Wii U when docked.
- Will be 30x more powerful than a 3DS, and 5x more powerful than a Vita when undocked.
- Price should be quite low, around $250, possibly even $199.
- Most importantly - this most likely will be the first system in a family of Switch devices. In a 1-2 years, I can easily see Nintendo releasing a "Switch Pro" with a 1080p screen, double the GPU power (using Pascal/Volta), ARM A72 cores with higher clocks, etc.

So basically it's a Wii U.5 (1.5)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1326373&page=39

It's better be 99-150$
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 09:45:42 AM by gimymblert » Logged

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: December 19, 2016, 10:05:47 AM »

It's better be 99-150$

It's a dedicated video game console with a built-in screen, so no, it won't be that low. I would expect in the $250 - $300 USD range. Any more than that and they risk pricing themselves out compared to the competition. $100 - $150 is a bit unrealistic given everything that's going to be crammed into this thing. Smaller, more portable tech usually costs more to produce than a more sizable box meant to go under a TV.
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 19, 2016, 10:24:42 AM »

hate to have to say this on tigs (instead of gaf or something) but:

while performance estimates are good ballparks, clock speed is not the only determining factor in performance, and claims like 'wiiu 1.5' are greatly premature (although strong possibilities)

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 19, 2016, 10:37:31 AM »

It's better be 99-150$

It's a dedicated video game console with a built-in screen, so no, it won't be that low. I would expect in the $250 - $300 USD range. Any more than that and they risk pricing themselves out compared to the competition. $100 - $150 is a bit unrealistic given everything that's going to be crammed into this thing. Smaller, more portable tech usually costs more to produce than a more sizable box meant to go under a TV.
I know but there is competitive tablet and phone in that price range

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 19, 2016, 10:38:57 AM »

BTW I'm now considering buying a wii u, the switch is clearly not compatible and I have a bunch of double screen game to study

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 19, 2016, 03:58:05 PM »

I was holding off buying a shield tablet for this and now I'm not sure I should wait
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 59
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic