Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:59:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNintendo Switch (formerly NX)
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 59
Print
Author Topic: Nintendo Switch (formerly NX)  (Read 64854 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: January 17, 2017, 02:06:33 PM »

hdr was fucking ugly as sin and was enjoyed by 2 kinds of people: fighting game guys who were desperate to play super turbo and so immediately turned on classic mode, and normal people who didn't give a shit but downloaded it because it was street fighter and the bar was lower for downloadables back then

thankfully ultra sf2 will let you change the backgrounds. it might be interesting for a little while but it wont get long term support because throw teching is haram to the st hardcore

otoh getting to a point in your life where you're widely considered an asshole in the fighting game community requires extraordinary dedication, so i do commend the guy for his ceaseless efforts.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 17, 2017, 02:40:13 PM »

To be clear, the hdr "balance" changes weren't good and david sirlin will absolutely take his own life either by severing his spinal cord in an attempt to deep throat his own dick or maybe one of the more vanilla sex maniac ways like choking himself with a belt while whacking it
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 17, 2017, 02:45:16 PM »

also even though hdr has the same number of frames as the original st sprites it still manages to be colossally ugly as well as introducing fundamental animation errors like balrogs head shrinking in his idle stance. It soars beyond the reach of ordinary ugliness like a kind of buscemi chimera with wings. They were wise to include the old sprites and backgrounds in the switch game but it's still embarrassing to release that in 2017 and also ever
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #663 on: January 17, 2017, 03:14:21 PM »

the only reason I noticed that hd sf2 thing back then was because it was being torn apart in artist communities pointing out how they had drawn made up muscle groups and often completely misinterpreted details in the source material they traced over

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 17, 2017, 03:29:23 PM »

the beauty of pixel art is that it's open to interpretation. With hd, you see what you see and it's ugly and butchered in this case. It's usualy not advised to HD from pixel art.
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 17, 2017, 04:18:52 PM »

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 17, 2017, 07:40:40 PM »

I just watched a video of HD Remix to see what all the fuss is about. I wish I hadn't.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 17, 2017, 10:10:53 PM »

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 18, 2017, 03:42:29 AM »

Nintendo’s online service for Switch will charge a monthly fee and one of the incentives is one free classic game “per month.” Does that mean you lose access to that game after a month?

Reggie Fils-Aime: Correct. It means that essentially you’ve got access to that game for a period of time, and then after the month there’s a new selection. You’ll have the opportunity to buy it, but [after] that month we’ve moved on to another game.

source

So I'll get an old NES/SNES game and can play it for one month before it gets removed from my library.
Why not let me keep it like it's handled on PS+/Games with Gold?
Ah, I forgot: The Nintendo Difference™

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #669 on: January 18, 2017, 04:10:06 AM »

Yeah... I don't get that  Undecided

One thinking I was thinking the other day is how that "give a free game a month" thing started. It started with Sony doing it to apologize for the PSN hacking in 2011. Then, suddenly Microsoft started doing it too. But the idea was that you paid for online content and the free game was just a bonus, now people get mad if you don't give them a free game. Not defending Nintendo here, they're being pretty cheap with their offer, just saying how the market goes.

At least, from Reggie's tone on both interviews, virtual console titles should be passed on to the Switch.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 18, 2017, 04:20:18 AM »

may i remind you that this is the same company that releases dlc packs in the form of limited-run figurines, sells gameboy roms for $4 a pop and never drops the prices on their games, ever?
Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 18, 2017, 04:53:50 AM »

On one hand i understand that Nintendo values their products. Maybe its also the company roots that have this strong vision regarding "value". A price drop or giving a way stuff for free could 'devalue' its perception of this product. But maybe they go just a tiny tat to far with that.

If they revisit all the old games and allow me to play Goof Troops over the internet Coop with my buddies, i don't mind paying some bucks for that. Server costs are really high and there is a lot of dead weight as you need to be able to withstand the peak concurrent users.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #672 on: January 18, 2017, 05:47:12 AM »

Server costs are really high and there is a lot of dead weight as you need to be able to withstand the peak concurrent users.
Since cloud became a thing, thats not really how it happens anymore. Infrastracture can grow and shrink on "demand", and usually companies plan ahead for peak hours and shit. Planning sometimes can still fail and still get downtimes lol

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 18, 2017, 07:52:31 AM »

Infrastracture can grow and shrink on "demand"

But someone needs to own this infrastructure and i think they won't outsource this. So even if they 'shrink' they still have the hardware? Or am i missing something.

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #674 on: January 18, 2017, 09:14:30 AM »

But someone needs to own this infrastructure and i think they won't outsource this. So even if they 'shrink' they still have the hardware? Or am i missing something.

You're not missing anything. The most common means of handling the growing and shrinking demand for such on-line performance is outsourcing. Amazon does a fair amount of this. They have a sizable amount of pre-built infrastructure that they keep on tap. When companies need some extra server support, they can rent it temporarily from Amazon. It's a common practice for situations where such demand fluctuates.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: January 18, 2017, 11:16:31 AM »

32k the rom is a burden on the infrastructure Shocked ... webpage are so much more heavy than that now, it's really the nostalgia tax, anyway most old game can be finished in one week part time. They are not skyrim.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #676 on: January 18, 2017, 06:32:00 PM »

Regardless of the subscription service, I think the console itself did most things right this time. Unlike Wii and Wii U,
the Switch managed to completely encapsulate all the extra features, they don't interfere with the comfortable traditional console gaming experience. So an extra pro controller is not required to achieve that. It means that targeting all the range from traditional to more innovative experiences is perfectly possible now, potentially. But the joy-cons have to be ergonomic to achieve that. Hopefully they are. A few other potential points of concern:

- accessories relatively pricy

- internal storage is low

- processing power is relatively low (but a creative developer should be able to work around that if necessary)

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 18, 2017, 06:59:34 PM »

Modern internal storage are hogged by mandatory install anyway, cart solve that part easily. Though I had learnt that sd card are slower than 7500tr mechanical hard drive ... so using that intead of hard drive is subject to failure case.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 18, 2017, 07:01:29 PM »

SPY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7KMMxAQp8I?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMzc1MDk3NzQ3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjM1MzI0MQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR114,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

The trenchcoat is blowing the cover, it doesn't work that way anymore7
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OPc7MRm4Y8?
http://abload.de/img/inspectorshuxvswk.jpg

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/821748091753631744
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:22:12 PM by gimymblert » Logged

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #679 on: January 19, 2017, 09:21:49 AM »

A few other potential points of concern:

- accessories relatively pricy

- internal storage is low

- processing power is relatively low (but a creative developer should be able to work around that if necessary)

Pricey accessories aren't necessarily a concern. In fact, in many ways they are a strength, especially for the platform as a whole. Not for consumers, certainly. No one likes having to pay more. But broaden your vision for a moment, and look at the bigger picture. Retail stores LOVE accessories. Having a system that is small, doesn't take up as much shelf space, and is accessory-friendly? That's the average retail outlets best-case scenario for stocking a home console. And having pricier first-party accessories is going to make things easier for third-party accessory manufacturers. They will be able to produce cheaper accessories for the system that can be priced for a considerable markup, and still look attractive to consumers next to the pricier first-party offerings. The majority of gamers have cited the accessory prices as a negative for the system. It is easy to argue the opposite.

Internal storage isn't really that much of a factor. It's crucial to downloadable content. But the ability to expand upon the built-in storage strongly mitigates the drawback of a small initial amount. The fact that they also went with an industry-standard format means that the prices for that additional storage will always be dropping. The internal storage is a non-issue thanks to other decisions that were made.

Low processing power has never really been an issue either. Plenty of great games get made for weaker power systems. And as is often pointed out, the weaker systems don't always do badly. Frequently the opposite holds true. The PS4 is one of the first examples of a technically more powerful system pulling ahead of its competition, and I could easily argue that this was due more to solid initial design than any advantage provided by the system's power.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 59
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic