Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:00:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNintendo Switch (formerly NX)
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 59
Print
Author Topic: Nintendo Switch (formerly NX)  (Read 64924 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #680 on: January 19, 2017, 11:20:34 AM »

A few other potential points of concern...

Pricey accessories aren't necessarily a concern...

^ Good points - third party companies will make cheaper accessories (probably). The power's not too big of a deal, especially when you look at the strengths of the console (motion controls standard with every console / pair of controllers, an ordinary control scheme despite the gimmicks and extra features, the ability to take the game on the go, no need to make multiple ports, etc).

SPY!

Pretty funny, actually, haha.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 19, 2017, 03:18:56 PM »

Also generally we are talking gpu power, but no one compare cpu power, ie where the gameplay happen ... the complain with ps4/xb1 is weak CPU and I heard the wii cpu wasn't a souch either ... But game are judge based on graphics right?

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #682 on: January 19, 2017, 03:27:14 PM »

Also generally we are talking gpu power, but no one compare cpu power
The gpu isn't that relevant as resolution and visual fidelity is scalable without affecting gameplay too much, plus gpus are pretty advanced today anyway. It is actually the cpu that is concerning.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 19, 2017, 03:31:51 PM »

Yeah but where are all the cpu analysis and comparison? I don't see them, I just see concern.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #684 on: January 19, 2017, 03:36:31 PM »

As of now everything is pointing towards a watered down TegraX1, 4 cores at 1 GHz.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 19, 2017, 03:57:15 PM »

And what's its gflop (I know it's faulty but offer order of magnitude) more importantly what is the gflop of ps4/xb1 cpu (they share the same chip)?

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #686 on: January 19, 2017, 05:10:39 PM »

The cpu of the Switch will unlikely make up for additional 4 cores with higher clocks. Also note that it has to run identical in mobile mode to maintain the same performance, unlike the gpu, which can decrease the clock rate to match a lower resolution etc. In other words the cpu is only as strong as its mobile mode.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 19, 2017, 05:37:40 PM »

Those are all very good points, but I have a question;

will controller pairing be as tedious as on the Wii?

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #688 on: January 20, 2017, 07:04:08 AM »

You just need unity and apparently a switch then some more stuff like being subscribe to their dev site. I haven't tried yet, but I'm organizing myself to try to release a game this year on it, inspired by no man sky "lite". I don't know if I will succeed but that's a goal to keep me going and a deadline (end of the year).

From what I have heard, no indie have official devkit yet, but their is rumor that targeting an nvidia shiled build is a good enough approximation.

Thank you. Back when I tried to register for Nintendo Developer their site hinted at HTML5 support. Do you know anything about this.. will native webpages work?

Bump bump, does anyone know about HTML5 games running natively on Nintendo platforms?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 08:02:13 AM by quantumpotato » Logged

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 20, 2017, 07:35:04 AM »

I think the CPU in a computer that had to offload voice chat onto a secondary device is probably uh [I look off stage to my handlers frantically making downward motions with their hands] really good
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: January 20, 2017, 07:41:55 AM »

uhm, i am not a very tech savvy person so sorry if this is bullshit, but i don't think cpu performance matters much in this day and age outside of certain multiplayer games and genres like rts and flight sims that will never be on the switch.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: January 20, 2017, 07:49:51 AM »

what i mean is, i don't think "the gameplay" in any of your typical mariozeldapokerman games is going to be taxing on a half decent modern cpu
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: January 20, 2017, 08:08:41 AM »

what i mean is, i don't think "the gameplay" in any of your typical mariozeldapokerman games is going to be taxing on a half decent modern cpu

^

also, graphics are still, and have always been, fucking expensive. gameplay essential stuff like dynamic lighting included.

(edit: if one of you nominal game designers fires back 'but ai hasnt advanced!' i'm gonna scream)

double edit: i realized someone is gonna say 'but games looked great 5 years ago' so -

Many 'basic' things scale non-linearly with resolution, so if you want a game with a full 3d world without any huge constraints to be sold to a market that expects 1080p and 4k, you need an actually halfway modern gpu.

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: January 20, 2017, 08:57:16 AM »

uhm, i am not a very tech savvy person so sorry if this is bullshit, but i don't think cpu performance matters much in this day and age outside of certain multiplayer games and genres like rts and flight sims that will never be on the switch.

For instance physics rely on CPU, but yeah there is not a lot of physics heavy games on the switch so far i have seen. Procedural generation also requires some CPU power but that's only the initial load, so yeah nothing to special.  Than there is AI and stuff like that.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #694 on: January 20, 2017, 12:36:33 PM »

The question is, can the Switch survive with only those kind of games? But even here, certainly a lot of compromises were made to reach an acceptable performance for the new Zelda, and it only runs at 30Hz.

Ideally, you want a fluid (I consider 60Hz fluid) and consistent update- and frame rate, with no frame drops or frame delays. Whenever you have many entities in the scene, be it Zombies, interactive objects/physics, wildlife, procedural happening and so on, the cpu will be strained. There are many console games featuring a selection of all this stuff. Some of this stuff can be offloaded to a gpu with general purpose computing features, but the gpu is not as much suited to do many of these jobs as the cpu. Gpus just got "lucky" that rasterized computer graphics happen to be highly parallelizable.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 20, 2017, 02:02:34 PM »

the idea of a system that facilitates cheaper game development allowing for more, say, transformers: devastations on the market is fundamentally good. the problem is that this means that even if it's wildly successful, for the first year or two the only major studios that will have that pipeline set up will be the ones still producing xbox 360 games, and they will be ports of those. further, while the idea seems economically sound at first, nintendo once again went with a proprietary format that will cost publishers more making it an unattractive proposition unless it sells billions. finally, hobbyist game develiwanttohavegaysexwithhulkhoganpment, like the stuff that occurs on this web site, often relies on engines such as unity which often have a significant computational expense for even relatively simple things, which can be very limiting on a mobile chip.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #696 on: January 20, 2017, 02:31:37 PM »

Superb Joe brings up some good points. One of the things that Nintendo needs to focus on for the Switch is improving the reliability and performance of their digital services. They are notorious for having outdated interfaces for their digital storefronts, terrible download speeds, and archaic systems that tie digital games to hardware instead of on-line profiles. With the Switch, Nintendo has a real opportunity to grab a lot of small to mid-scale development efforts, and become a prime platform for those styles of games. But all of that would be severely undermined by their current approaches to digital distribution.

Smaller and indie developers can't always afford physical releases. Nintendo has addressed this partially by allowing for micro SDXC cards on the Switch. The 32 GB of built-in memory is also a welcome addition, and would accommodate quite a few smaller indie games. But base-line ability is not enough. You also need a convenient and reliable purchasing experience. You need an easily searchable storefront with solid curation. You would probably benefit from some manner of community building. And all of this should be a BIG focus for Nintendo, as it an area where they need the most work.

It's not the CPU performance that worries me, it's the associated services that support digital distribution. Limited processing power is a limitation, but great games can still be made within limitations. A great game that takes 45 minutes to download (when it is clearly small enough not to warrant such slow download speeds) is spoiling an otherwise great experience, for no good reason.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: January 20, 2017, 02:33:17 PM »

i agree wholeheartedly with richard, Superb Joe brings up some good points
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 20, 2017, 03:26:38 PM »

Well the xenoblade and especially the zelda that have embraced seamless "open air" world design are great case for that, and that mario had a city simulation running around, with all the grabable edges around that mean a lot of raycast (ie cpu).

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: January 20, 2017, 05:48:21 PM »

https://twitter.com/GuerrillaDawg/status/821717024653082624 ps4/switch

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 59
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic