Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411496 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:41:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNintendo Switch (formerly NX)
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 59
Print
Author Topic: Nintendo Switch (formerly NX)  (Read 66254 times)
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #840 on: February 22, 2017, 06:00:22 AM »

The fact that the Switch isn't a dev-kit in itself really slows down indie dev angle. You've got an unknown system that might do well, and you've gotta risk half a grand to make stuff for it.

That pretty much fucks up any documentation being available for debugging. Doesn't matter if you're using Unity and whatnot, it's still going to have it's own Stackoverflow worthy issues.

Raising the bar does indeed shut out shovelware. It also means no one can be fucked with your shitty dev requirements - as those who were making for PS3 and trying to program in Objective C reported. The response to which was a PS4 architecture that we were assured would be easier to program and Swift as well as allowing compiled code from other languages on the iPhone.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: February 22, 2017, 08:00:35 AM »

plus, the casuals that made the wii a success all switched to phones. it's like i said earlier. nintendo's audience at this point is limited to fanboys and people who can afford multiple gamming systems.
I don't think that multiple machine buys are that many that they should move that many systems.
But yes, I greatly agree.

st33d also nails it very well. Indies just can't afford that many blind jumps.

Yeah.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: February 23, 2017, 10:44:06 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV61AFt6yfQ?
Extreme Nintendo Switch Battery Test! Zelda: BotW on MAX Settings

Nintendo claims that the Switch's battery will last between 2 1/2 and 6 hours when in portable mode! We put that to the test with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild! Just how long does the battery hold out in the most extreme conditions? Find out here!

miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: February 23, 2017, 11:51:21 PM »

Also engadget claims that The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild retail version runs better than preview versions.
engadget link

Extreme Nintendo Switch Battery Test! Zelda: BotW on MAX Settings
Just pointing out to those who did not watch video, 'max settings' are not graphical like in PS4 Pro, but volume all the way up, screen brightness full and WiFi on.  Tongue
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: February 24, 2017, 11:02:02 AM »

The Nintendo Switch Has a Built-In Meme Maker

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: February 24, 2017, 01:01:25 PM »

The Nintendo Switch Has a Built-In Meme Maker

fuck this computer for robotic shitheads
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #846 on: February 24, 2017, 01:27:53 PM »

Don't you worry, built-in parental controls are coming.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #847 on: February 24, 2017, 06:20:27 PM »

Meme Maker is a must have feature!

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: February 24, 2017, 07:17:42 PM »

No joke though, the ability to caption pictures before posting them is going to be useful.

Not that it matters for me, because I'm probably not getting this thing.

still really salty about this effectively costing 450$ CAD

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #849 on: February 24, 2017, 11:01:58 PM »

$500 ain't that high for a devkit (especially if it can play retail titles - let's hope so, even if this never is the case). It's not hard to imagine new indie devs launching on Steam or itch to get some cash and then port it over to Switch if they don't have $500. Of course, $500 is way cheaper than most devkit costs, so more AAA titles might be seen (though almost every AAA exclusive seems to be on a console, not on the PC).

EDIT: This Polygon article says the Xbox One devkit was $500 in addition to some kind of several hundred dollar Microsoft fee, as well...?

@st33d - Didn't the PS4's devkit cost $2500? A quick Google shows that Sony gave some away for free for a period in 2013, but that's not still going, is it?

st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #850 on: February 25, 2017, 04:12:43 AM »

Any kind of hurdle is bad. Believe it or not $500 is actually a hurdle - you are probably too rich to understand that.

The problem with creating barriers to entry is that the community of developers that are privileged enough to surmount them is much smaller. The pool of wisdom is much smaller. The available answers to problems is much smaller. People have to reinvent the wheel many more times because the technology isn't just lying around - and given that Nintendo aren't keen on sharing, it doesn't paint a picture of loads of indie devs swarming to make stuff for it.

You probably can't see these problems from inside your gold encrusted mansion, but the argument, "let them eat cake", doesn't go down too well out here in the slums.
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: February 25, 2017, 04:37:32 AM »

does anyone in your slums own a 300$ videogame device that requires 60$ per game?
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: February 25, 2017, 08:29:15 AM »

I wasn't talking about the devkit, I was talking about the default console. It's really that expensive over here. The devkit amounts to about 750$ CAD actually.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #853 on: February 25, 2017, 09:50:44 AM »

No joke though, the ability to caption pictures before posting them is going to be useful.

Yep, truth be told, people enjoy making and sharing "memes" and if one of those memes gets viral, that's free advertising for Nintendo. It is a smart feature.

miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: February 25, 2017, 10:37:25 AM »

I have watched multiple Switch text caption videos, but they always only added one line of text can you add multiple lines of text in single picture or is it limited to one?
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #855 on: February 25, 2017, 11:56:29 AM »

yeah that's what i want to know

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #856 on: February 25, 2017, 12:57:10 PM »

what are these so-called "memes" kids these days speak of reggie?
I don't know but we definitely need to add a feature for those hip kids my man.
Also get rid of Miiverse.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: February 25, 2017, 01:23:53 PM »

have you perchance heard of the trole face? it is one of today's freshest and most exciting "memes".
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: February 25, 2017, 01:29:20 PM »

no the freshest is the lol cat and advice animal

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #859 on: February 26, 2017, 11:11:54 AM »

Any kind of hurdle is bad. Believe it or not $500 is actually a hurdle - you are probably too rich to understand that.

The problem with creating barriers to entry is that the community of developers that are privileged enough to surmount them is much smaller. The pool of wisdom is much smaller. The available answers to problems is much smaller. People have to reinvent the wheel many more times because the technology isn't just lying around - and given that Nintendo aren't keen on sharing, it doesn't paint a picture of loads of indie devs swarming to make stuff for it.

You probably can't see these problems from inside your gold encrusted mansion, but the argument, "let them eat cake", doesn't go down too well out here in the slums.

Is this some kind of meme or something?

I have no idea why you think I'm rich, or why you think I said $500 isn't a hurdle - I didn't. You might want to go back and re-read my post.

Also, chill. I have no desire to get into Internet fights over literally nothing.

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 59
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic