Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 06:53:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNintendo Switch (formerly NX)
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 59
Print
Author Topic: Nintendo Switch (formerly NX)  (Read 66160 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #960 on: April 06, 2017, 05:33:35 PM »

You are brave, Sherlock junior

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #961 on: April 06, 2017, 05:35:40 PM »

it was a very very sturdy limb

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #962 on: April 06, 2017, 06:19:15 PM »

You are brave, Sherlock junior

not really but thanks anyway

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #963 on: April 07, 2017, 01:19:21 PM »

If you have a snes cartridge you cannot easily clone and share it. Also imagine your snes cartridge breaks, then that's it, your game is lost since you only have one instance of it. It is easier to keep games alive on pc, you can keep multiple copies and refresh them whenever you want.

Talking purely about sharing, not about backup copies or something like that:

A physical copy can be lent, while a digital one on a traditional storefront generally can't be. This could be done if Nintendo allowed you to like Steam does with Family Sharing (I think?), but usually, this isn't. So a digital copy is usually harder to share than a physical copy, not easier.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: April 07, 2017, 02:49:39 PM »

i'd like to know some hard facts on the energy needed for running a server farm that hosts a ton of downloadable games vs physical production and distribution.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: April 07, 2017, 02:50:14 PM »

intuitively, i prefer digital as well, but im starting to HAVE DOUBTS.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #966 on: April 07, 2017, 02:52:15 PM »

don't buy the petroleum industry lies, physical distribution is bad

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: April 07, 2017, 05:15:19 PM »

hard facts
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: April 07, 2017, 05:47:01 PM »

Okay guys, the joke is that in both case the distribution infrastructure exist and need to be maintain, one game or two won't change the real cost of moving goods, material or immaterial significantly. Just because you buy digital it don't mean the cargo stop transporting merchandising, if anything now they move the parts that sustain the digital infrastructure.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #969 on: April 07, 2017, 05:53:52 PM »

the corporations and other institutions enabling it are of course to blame and any one extra copy is obviously (literally) marginal but don't be an apologist is what I'm saying

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: April 07, 2017, 06:27:34 PM »

You are reducing complex economic problem to simple ideological one. I'm just pointing that the argument has no real merit (and is enabling classist discourse, like I have pointed, basically you are blaming me because I don't have stable internet while I'm being below the poverty line and had to hustle a long time having a connection, irony is that the more I had to hustle the more game I tried to get) because resources are just merely reallocated. I didn't blame corporation I'm pointing at the structural make up that goes beyond that. I mean even if you don't transport the actual good, the good is still stored on physical media, not in thin air, so teh demand for separate specific storage might decrease but then it will just increase the need for generic storage, and in fact it create duplicate so more storage need (on server, on disk drive, on back up storage). I don't think it's being an apologist.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #971 on: April 07, 2017, 07:11:59 PM »

If you have a snes cartridge you cannot easily clone and share it. Also imagine your snes cartridge breaks, then that's it, your game is lost since you only have one instance of it. It is easier to keep games alive on pc, you can keep multiple copies and refresh them whenever you want.

Talking purely about sharing, not about backup copies or something like that:

A physical copy can be lent, while a digital one on a traditional storefront generally can't be. This could be done if Nintendo allowed you to like Steam does with Family Sharing (I think?), but usually, this isn't. So a digital copy is usually harder to share than a physical copy, not easier.

It's only harder to share digitally because of obfuscation. You have the code on your machine, you could copy and paste it to a USB.

A server costs much less energy than shipping distribution network.

In an alternate world, a few physical copies of the game could be delivered to a store and sold for $$$ // kept as backups, then customers could show up to get copies. Or the whole game could have been pre-funded ala Kickstarter so the devs have made their money and distribution isn't a problem.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #972 on: April 09, 2017, 07:31:27 AM »

So a digital copy is usually harder to share than a physical copy, not easier.
GOG games are easy to share:P (what is legal or not is a different question)

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: April 12, 2017, 10:20:16 AM »

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: April 13, 2017, 08:02:59 PM »

Nintendo Switch Fastest-Selling Nintendo Console; Zelda: BotW 100%+ Attach Rate!

Zelda botw has an at attach rate beyond 100% on nx LMAO

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #975 on: April 14, 2017, 02:15:46 AM »

We live in an industry where 1 million game copies sold is considered a failure. So no surprise there.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: April 14, 2017, 09:50:59 AM »

IN which timeframe? 1days or 1month? or one trimester?

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: April 16, 2017, 08:20:38 AM »

There's a game that has an attach rate higher than 100% on a console that's been out for less than a month and has been continuously out of stock. I'd consider that a success.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #978 on: April 16, 2017, 08:51:48 AM »

what's an attach rate

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 16, 2017, 09:06:21 AM »

The ratio of how many copies of a game on a certain console has been sold to the number of consoles sold.

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 59
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic