Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 09:35:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesYoutubers and Gameplay Videos - Can we talk about it?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Youtubers and Gameplay Videos - Can we talk about it?  (Read 2618 times)
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 09:51:18 AM »

Being analytical and creative is not something mutually exclusive, how else could I create Trap Them;)
only highly spiritual person could create trap them
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2016, 10:03:18 AM »

You don't really see things more analytically if a child sees more possibilities.

Being analytical and creative is not something mutually exclusive, how else could I create Trap Them;)
I never said they are mutually exlcusive, just that with the passing of time you can wind up leaning more towards the former than the latter.

As for the kids, they are just motivated to toy around until they find ever more "retarded stunts". It doesn't imply they understand/learn the abstractions behind all that mechanical happening, may be to a basic intuitive level but not beyond that.
No, they tend to socialize, create challenges, etc. more than trying to mine the games "stunts". With that last sentence you've got there, a good example is a magic show. Your experience of a magic show is going to be completely different if you know how the trick works than if you don't, and even more so if you are willing to believe the magic is real than if you aren't. They see the "magic" in the game because they aren't disillusioned.

The worst part about having gotten into game development I find is that disillusionment, I enjoyed games much more and was a lot more forgiving when I really didn't understand how they work. The more I understand the process the less tolerable flaws become.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2016, 10:42:12 AM »

The worst part about having gotten into game development I find is that disillusionment, I enjoyed games much more and was a lot more forgiving when I really didn't understand how they work.
I see that, but I am past that point. Some things go, like supposed illusions, but new things come and some things remain timeless. I cannot dictate you what to like but there are always aspects in games a mature mind can enjoy what a kid cannot see, so it goes both ways.

What often happens is actually not disillusionment, but trading one illusion for another one, telling you that games cannot be that exciting/interesting anymore.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2016, 10:58:31 AM »

Its rather I feel that your appreciation for a thing changes depending on your understanding on the behidn the curtain process. Taking the magic trick example, if you have a moderate understanding on magic tricks, your interest wont be on the performer makign you think he is doing magioc, but rather how clever the actual trick might be.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2016, 11:04:02 AM »

The worst part about having gotten into game development I find is that disillusionment, I enjoyed games much more and was a lot more forgiving when I really didn't understand how they work. The more I understand the process the less tolerable flaws become.

I never saw it that way. Yes, now that I understand how they work, I find bad games to be even worse since I now know why they are flawed, but at the same time I appreciate much more when I find a game that I enjoy cause I know how much work was put into that.

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2016, 11:20:43 AM »

Quote from: Shigeru Miyamoto
Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child.

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2016, 11:41:21 AM »

I think "disillusionment" may be too strong of a word here, I think what I am more meaning is a loss of awe and wonder. It isn't entirely due to knowing how the games work, but also having experienced so many.

For example, I've always enjoyed JPRGs and my first time playing Final Fantasy 6 floored me. I was completely immersed. I couldn't get enough JRPGs, I played the hell out of them. I've played so many JRPGs since that they all just kind of blur together and there is little to no surprise. So it is not just knowing the magician's trick, but also having seen his tricks performed so many times before. Sure I can appreciate the skill involved, and I still do enjoy the games, but I am not really left in awe as I once was and they don't really spark the imagination the way they once did.

Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of games that leave me pleasantly surprised and a small handful that still manage to awe so I am not completely disillusioned and games aren't ruined for me. It's just that the amount of awe and wonder I experienced with them (and many other things familiar to me) is diminished. My kids, who've experienced less of these things and are not as familiar with them or their inner workings, will experience a lot more awe now than I will. This is not entirely a bad thing, it's just the trade-off for knowing. The more experience you have with something the less you are surprised by it.

Awe is really just deep surprise, the kind of surprise and excitement that just overloads your senses and leaves you in a sense of stillness and shock.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2016, 11:51:22 AM »

Maybe it's because many games try to do semantically similar things and the result is a market flooded with games with similar themes and mechanics.

The solution: Do something different; Be the change that you want to see.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2016, 12:39:38 PM »

For example, I've always enjoyed JPRGs and my first time playing Final Fantasy 6 floored me. I was completely immersed. I couldn't get enough JRPGs, I played the hell out of them. I've played so many JRPGs since that they all just kind of blur together and there is little to no surprise. So it is not just knowing the magician's trick, but also having seen his tricks performed so many times before. Sure I can appreciate the skill involved, and I still do enjoy the games, but I am not really left in awe as I once was and they don't really spark the imagination the way they once did.
I can feel what you are saying, I was just like that back then with those rpgs. As much as I was consumed by their initial adventure and mystery, there were all the other things I didn't value because I was that blind. Life outside the adventure and mystery in games looked predictable and therefore boring. Now the reversed is true. Anyway, it is a treasure to remember the values of my younger self, just that naive sense of wonder;)

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2016, 03:17:30 PM »

it's totally normal to appreciate things differently as you get older. and imo the best thing to do is to just embrace it.

for instance (pretentious post incoming), i rarely get "immersed" in games these days and have stopped looking for "immersion". what interests me today as a player is the mechanics themselves, and specifically how mechanics integrate with a game's theme. how systems can be used to model things or create metaphors etc. that's also why i play more board games than videogames these days and don't care about VR and similar developments.

i wouldn't even say it's an emotional vs analytical thing, i still *feel* things about games & other media, the feelings i have at age 27 are just different from the feelings i had at age 8 (as well they should be!).
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2016, 03:29:44 PM »

i played transformers: devastation today
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2016, 03:43:36 PM »

was it bad

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2016, 03:47:20 PM »

was it bad
it was really good. i unlocked "magnus" difficulty which is much harder but i have no interest in upgrading weapons to make the stats better when you can directly make your stats better for in game money so i put a weight on the controller button to do that. kind of the pokemon go of 2015.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2016, 05:00:16 PM »

for instance (pretentious post incoming), i rarely get "immersed" in games these days and have stopped looking for "immersion". what interests me today as a player is the mechanics themselves, and specifically how mechanics integrate with a game's theme. how systems can be used to model things or create metaphors etc. that's also why i play more board games than videogames these days and don't care about VR and similar developments.
I would argue that the sensation of mechanical depth is a form of immersion as well, it only has to be "grasped" in order to be experienced. While VR is immersive for most by default, just by the nature of visual sensation.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2016, 05:05:19 PM »

yeh thats why i put "immersion" in scare quotes. i meant the game industry buzzword definition of immersion where you supposedly "become" your character and forget youre playing a game and all that.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2016, 05:07:28 PM »

to me the experiential aspect of interactive entertainment is more important than the passive aspect. but for some broken brained bozos it's the other way round: and that's why they watch people play mine craft for 29 hours a day
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2016, 03:48:48 AM »

would this be the wrong thread for me to once again strongly disparage e-sports as a word and phenomenon?

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2016, 06:54:25 AM »

I want to create a game where you are a character who is watching another character playing a game on some kind of YouTube proxy. The twist is that the game being played by the character your character is watching is the actual game you (the player) are playing. So you're watching your character watch another character watch your character watch that character watch your character... forever trapping the actual player in an inescapable loop.

This is how I intend to combat the problem of teenage chronic masturbation. You're welcome, Jesus.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2016, 07:19:22 AM »

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2016, 09:52:44 AM »

I want to create a game where you are a character who is watching another character playing a game on some kind of YouTube proxy. The twist is that the game being played by the character your character is watching is the actual game you (the player) are playing. So you're watching your character watch another character watch your character watch that character watch your character... forever trapping the actual player in an inescapable loop.

This is how I intend to combat the problem of teenage chronic masturbation. You're welcome, Jesus.
in the computer game "wasted" i proposed a series of collectible disks with text files on them. one of them was a warez release readme of a game called "twitch shooter" that had a load of badass ascii art and then an apology that the game is bugged because it just seems to be a picture of a guy playing a computer
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic