Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:11:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesYoutubers and Gameplay Videos - Can we talk about it?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Youtubers and Gameplay Videos - Can we talk about it?  (Read 2613 times)
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2016, 06:22:44 PM »

silb what's your opinion of rpg games; are you able to roleplay in them or is that something different than being immersed?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2016, 01:20:01 AM »

Usually roleplaying in videogames is more about experimenting and seeing what happens for me.

But I don't play many rpgs anymore, or at least not story driven ones. I'm playing the witcher 3 right now. The last game of this kind that i played and enjoyed before that was fallout new vegas. Also witcher 3 is very light on "roleplaying" in the first place. Your character is fixed and your decisions are fairly limited. I did get emotionally invested in the story though which is rare for me these days.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2016, 01:34:01 AM »

But idk, sometimes i don't really get what people mean by "immersion". Like, when bioshock was new everyone talked about how guilty they felt about the protagonist killing andrew ryan in a cutscene. I don't identify with my ingame character on that level. i see them as a separate fictional person that i happen to control, like an actor or a puppeteer or sth. what's more i don't find that interactivity actually leads to more emotional investment in the story. it acts more as a layer of abstraction than anything.
Catghost
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2016, 05:56:36 AM »

the accessibility that you get with these videos puts your work in front of an audience that wouldn't normally be able to enjoy it. i think that alone makes these types of videos valuable, but i get how it might feel cheap if someone simply uploads gameplay with no commentary/creativity put into it.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2016, 09:09:33 AM »

the accessibility that you get with these videos puts your work in front of an audience that wouldn't normally be able to enjoy it. i think that alone makes these types of videos valuable, but i get how it might feel cheap if someone simply uploads gameplay with no commentary/creativity put into it.

Absolutely no commentary videos are great for historical purposes/reference. A lot of times I'm trying to remember how a game work and instead of playing it I can just look at some footage on Youtube. If you work with games those are great.

On the other extreme, I enjoy videos with a lot of editing from people like Jontron and the AVGN. I saw some gameplay videos from popular youtubers that only play the game and talk over it without being funny or adding anything to it and those sure feel cheap.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2016, 11:14:24 AM »

A gameplay video without youtuber commentary is like a sandwich without smears of fecal matter

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic