Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:42:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIs mainstream gaming media relevant to Indies?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Is mainstream gaming media relevant to Indies?  (Read 1940 times)
SaintXi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2009, 12:48:32 PM »

Excuse my Spanish but this site (FMGames.es) seems to think I am controversial in being so secretive about my game so close to launch.
I can only hope a fluent Spanish speaker can put me right!

Is it wrong to focus on Indie sites and ignore the mainstream mags and websites? Have people had experience of getting Previews/Reviews alongside mainstream games?

I know it is a common problem for Indie games to get coverage in mainstream gaming media so I've not put too much effort in that direction - but by their reaction it seems I've been doing much less PR than I should have been.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 02:04:18 PM »

Is it wrong to focus on Indie sites and ignore the mainstream mags and websites?

Yes.
mainstream press is not an enemy, also because indie only press is almost non existant!
If your game is not free you want to sell it and make money, and if you want that you need to advertise your game. So you need every possible way to adversite it, expecially site and mags that talks about gaming, even mainstream, because you know, those site are visited by gamers! Wink

There's nothing wrong with that, it will not make you less indie Smiley send some material around or maybe even make it as exclusive to a big site before the others, it looks very cool!

PS oh I hate that damn techno music on the trailer, tell me it will not be featured on the game Sad
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 03:19:36 PM by Eclipse » Logged

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 09:53:34 PM »

Here's a translation of that blurb:

For no apparent reason, there are some games that don't resonate in the media, while it has been recently proved that you don't need a big brand to make a game that makes the news. Maybe it's controversy what favors hype, but it's a shame that you have to get to almost embarrassing extremes to make yourself be heard in the scene. Something like that (going unnoticed) is what is happening to Light of Altair, an economics strategy game for PC, due this year.

SaintXi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 12:50:05 AM »

Thanks adj, that was a lot clearer than I had been working with Smiley

I would suspect that 99% of indie games don't 'resonate in the media' so I'm not too glum, especially for a first game Wink

There are 5-6 indie titles that I keep seeing everywhere, but the vast majority of indies are invisible save for the odd coverdisc appearance.

SaintXi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 07:33:09 AM »

We've just had our first mainstream media plug - we got onto the coverdisc of PC GAMER :D

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic