Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:08:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopKeeping coherence in the aesthethic of my game Pharmakon
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Keeping coherence in the aesthethic of my game Pharmakon  (Read 2455 times)
LOUD
Level 1

Wait a few sec ...

View Profile WWW
« on: August 04, 2016, 05:19:38 AM »

Hi all Smiley

I am working on the environment assets style/rendering of my game but i would like to don't mess with the overall aesthetic i've done in my game Pharamkon (tigsource post with demo).

This screenshot shows the last appearance of my game (in-game) : (click for bigger view)

I would like to have feedbacks about the aesthetic consistency / harmony on my game. That is my major priority.
I am 100% sure that any aesthtic can work if it fills correctly its duty of showing a game's identity.
Ugly or beautiful, simple or complex, it doesn't matter if there is harmony and consistency.

To help you understand my aesthetic choices :

We can divide the gaame windows in 2 parts UP & DOWN :
  • DOWN : represents equipments constructed to be effective. It is made by industries (almost military) working on means of defences against elemental beasts infesting territory.
  • UP : represents elemental beasts in nature (but this place isn't their natural habitats and these beasts are abnormal species). These beasts are a threat.

NOTE : i know that this big empty area at the top-right isn't great but i prefer to find the right way to represent environnement objects (like the bir rock at top-left) be starting to produce more for nothing. Making art became so stressful to me so i try to don't work for nothing.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 07:26:17 AM »

its gray and brown.
its generally not a good idea to use primary gray since there its hard to come by gray object in nature. Also chromatic colors generally look ugly and unnatural when they are combined with achromatic.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:32:42 AM by Cobralad » Logged
LOUD
Level 1

Wait a few sec ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 08:00:09 AM »

@Cobralad :

its gray and brown.
That is true  Grin

its generally not a good idea to use primary gray since there its hard to come by gray object in nature
Gray was a correct color to match with all pieces colors we use in the game. Gray suits with all and it isn't more approriate with a color than another.
Also, it is an industrial object so it can be gray but if you are talking about the effect of light in nature preventing gray object to be seen as pure gray, that is true.

Also chromatic colors generally look ugly and unnatural when they are combined with achromatic.
I never felt that but ok.

Thx for feedback, i will probably use what you said to render the gray equipment in a more memorable way.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic