Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:27:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesAnother Metroid 2 Remake released
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Another Metroid 2 Remake released  (Read 5881 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 02:31:31 PM »

It's also worth noting that this 1.0 launch of AM2R was not intended to be a final release. "There's lots of improvements and features planned for a near future," the developer wrote on its blog. "This is not a definitive version, but the first."

Fingers crossed that this "definitive version" eventually sees the light of day.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 03:05:49 PM »

Moral of the story: Reskin your game at all costs.

Also fuck Nintendo rn.

Magurp244
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 04:18:52 PM »

Its a pretty solid remake that definitely captures the spirit of Metroid, it certainly fits all snug between Zero Mission and Metroid 3. It has its share of bugs though like mysterious/crippling frame rate drops, invisible gravity suit (as in you can't see your character on screen), and occasional clipping issues. Difficulty is a bit jagged in a few places too. One would hope Nintendo would swing behind it and license it for the anniversary, but I think we all kinda knew a C&D was coming. Just seems to be the trend these days.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2016, 04:39:40 PM »

it sure is.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 05:45:26 PM »

lmao @ Nintendo celebrating Metroid's 30th by burying the franchise even deeper
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2016, 07:01:12 PM »

ya didn't like another M, how dare you not like our glorious vision, there you didn't want it, YOU WON'T ANYMORE MWAHAHAHAHAA, please enjoy federation forces

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 07:03:33 PM »

federation feces
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2016, 07:04:38 PM »

btw federation force actually looks ok to me
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2016, 07:28:29 PM »

Its a pretty solid remake that definitely captures the spirit of Metroid, it certainly fits all snug between Zero Mission and Metroid 3. It has its share of bugs though like mysterious/crippling frame rate drops, invisible gravity suit (as in you can't see your character on screen), and occasional clipping issues. Difficulty is a bit jagged in a few places too. One would hope Nintendo would swing behind it and license it for the anniversary, but I think we all kinda knew a C&D was coming. Just seems to be the trend these days.
interestingly i havent faced any of these bugs.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2016, 07:56:46 PM »

btw federation force actually looks ok to me
but is it a good metroid game? other m was a good game too, now was it a good metroid?

LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2016, 09:04:18 PM »

I haven't found many bugs either. Music stopped after I got the Spider Ball for a little while but once I got to another boss it came back. Only issues I have is the cameras smoothness and I get a bit of screen tear, but it's not a big deal for me.

Played a bit more and was a bit irked for a little bit because I made way past the broken down ship to a cave where you fought 3 more larva and then a Gamma appeared. Died twice and was wondering why the game had suddenly become so difficult but realized I must have missed stuff... Turns out I had missed Wave Beam, High Jump Boots, and the Varia Suit which would have made things a breeze! And a couple of energy tanks.

Just shows how far people can get without the tools developers give you.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2016, 10:18:56 PM »

It wasnt so long ago since I beat the original for the first time (https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=46627.0), so I still have the oevrall level structure fresh in my mind. For the most part, all items are on the man-made facilities you find as you go down. Metroid, for the most part, are on the caves nearby the facilities and shit. The remake plays with your expectation a lot, but its an overall workable rule of gold there.

I have gotten pretty much every item except for the Ice Beam, which I cant find, help anyone? I really like this game much better than Zero Mission and Fusion. The space jump controls are great. I dont agree with the default bindings, specially for choosing bwetween missiles and shit, they should have taken more cues from the GBA games. Still fantastic, and loving the Zeta metroids encounters. Gotta love how it feels like a final exam on metroid level design conventions.+

My only gripe is that the overall atmosphere of you being alone on a really abandoned and overrun by wildlife planet feels a bit lost. Eagerly waiting to see what they did for my favorite section of the original game.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2016, 10:03:28 AM »

streets of rage remake is so good
Magurp244
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2016, 10:37:06 AM »

interestingly i havent faced any of these bugs.

They seem to effect people based on certain hardware spec's, i've experienced the frame rate and invisible gravity suit, so I usually end up wearing the Varia suit to tell where the hell i'm going. Another interesting little tidbit is the Charge Beam doesn't count as a missile when charged, but will pull health/missiles towards you or spam bombs in ball mode. It also means if you run out of missiles in certain sections when facing metroids, you might as well commit suicide.

*SPOILERS*
Remember when I mentioned jagged difficulty curves? When you face the first Omega Metroid you'll be trapped and won't be able to get any powerups or save. Beam weapons are useless, and it takes approx. 8 Super Missiles/40 Missiles to kill, has tiny thread-the-needle hitboxes in the front and back, and is invulnerable most of the time. Enjoy!

As for the Ice Beam, its in the lower right section of the map (distribution center) through one of those mail tube like things you can take, roughly below the center of the region. There's a full playthrough with (almost) all the items that shows specifically where here, the link skips to the relevant part.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2016, 06:54:15 AM »

Thnaks for the tip, got it yesterday. Had seen that room before but I didnt realize you could skip the bubble wall, since they are present everywhere.

Finished the game with 86% items and 5.30 hours. Really enjoyed it, but I would like the first two metroid types to be less finicky. Zeta and Omega are more consistent, but I would like Omegas to be more fun to fight. Only the zetas hit the sweet spot imo.

*spoilers*
I think the last bit lost a bit of its atmosphere it had in the original, since rather than water, the pools seemed to be more primordial soup, the place was far more desolated and dreary (barely any monsters, inferring the metroid had fully overrun the place, which matches with it being the only place with Omegas). The queens antechamber was also more scary with the breath of the queen being heard from there.

That said, the fight with the queen was far better than over the original, and the larva fights are still insanely distressing for me.

readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2016, 12:20:51 PM »

I was so bad at it I had to cheat. Those stupid...things towards the end. Had a blast with the game though.
Ammypendent
Level 0

Indiedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2016, 08:16:32 PM »

DocM64 managed to release version 1.1 that fixes the invisible bug and a couple other things!  Wink

Twitter
LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2016, 09:55:00 PM »

Decided to play Super Metroid again to see how it compares (I considered it the best 2D Metroid, though the others come close because of what improvements they brought). Gotta say... while AM2R isn't an official Metroid, I now think it's the best one. I've been finding some quirks within Super that I never noticed or just made me wish I was playing AM2R. Still think the game is good, but not feeling as well designed as I had remembered.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2016, 10:03:09 PM »

I've only played Super Metroid, Zero Mission, and Metroid Fusion to completion.  Why can't they make more goons ones like those?
Magurp244
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2016, 10:33:48 AM »

DocM64 managed to release version 1.1 that fixes the invisible bug and a couple other things!  Wink

Ah, thanks for the heads up! Yes, it seemed to fix the gravity suit bug so now I can finally enjoy some of the later area's. ^^

Also, there was no problem moving saves around since it seems to store them non-locally in an appdata folder on C drive. Though some mentioned savefile corruption on their forum's, so if its important to you be sure to back them up before booting the lastest version.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic