Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:44:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDaemon - 2d platform, play it on your browser
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Daemon - 2d platform, play it on your browser  (Read 1509 times)
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: August 07, 2016, 07:09:29 AM »

Daemon needs to find a portal to his world jumping and avoiding obstacles.

You can play Daemon on your browser (Update 2 - June 2017):
https://ordnas.itch.io/daemon-test

Devlog:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=57282.0
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:08:30 AM by Ordnas » Logged

Games:

koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 04:02:48 PM »

Hey, I love the dynamic camera and movement. Parallax layers also look cool, but I quickly lost my way and couldn't see how to proceed further in the level...

Working on a grappling-hook game about frogs DevLog
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 03:18:15 AM »

Thank you!
Could you tell me where in the level did you lost your way? So I can make it clearer Smiley
Were you able to reach the coin placed at the very top, near the first checkpoint?

Games:

koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 01:22:01 PM »

It was between first and second pushable blocks. Found my way on the second playthrough though.

Working on a grappling-hook game about frogs DevLog
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 11:08:39 AM »

Ah ok, I was thinking to make more clear where to go, push the block below and use it to go up and take the coin.
Since it is the beginning of the game, I will make that part more linear.

Games:

BorealGames
Level 0

Bradley

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 05:35:32 PM »

Played a little bit of Daemon.  Here are my initial thoughts/questions:
  • The background environment is really good!
  • This game gives off really chill vibes, I wish it had an accompanying soundtrack.
  • I got pretty annoyed with the bounce sound and a little nauseous from the camera jerking around.
  • Some of the controls were a bit jerky and a little unintuitive. Wall jumps are hard to do from one wall to another.
  • Is there any reason that the character is a rectangle? It seems a little contrasting to the really detailed environment.

Daemon seems like a casual, chill game but with jerky controls.  Since there are tons of platformers out there already you'll really have to focus on what makes yours different: sound, environment, art style, character?

Working on an immersive card game in 3D.
Crystal Companies
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 06:50:35 AM »

Thank you BorealGames for your feedbacks!
I finished to work on a new camera system, it solves the problems of the old one, including motion sickness, and will be included in the new version of the demo that I will post in October.
The sound will be replaced, as the rest of the prototype assets, including the hero rectangle.
The hero rectangle because I wanted a quick prototype, among the things I sacrificed was the main character.
I will try to post some hero concept as soon as possible.
The controls will be refined.

Games:

fractilegames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 09:12:47 AM »

I tried the WebGL version. The backgrounds look pretty. With matching soundtrack and sound effects this could turn into really atmospheric game.

Controls feel responsive. The jumping felt a bit "random". It was often hard to predict how to scale a wall and I ended up just banging jump button until I got where I wanted.

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 02:25:37 AM »

Thank you fractilegames for all the compliments!
Likely that the wall jump will not be in the next iterations of the demo, I should dedicate more time to improve it but now I prefer to concentrate on improving other game mechanics.
I'm implementing the grab ledge, should make the game more fluid and enjoyable, adding more precise controls on hard jump sections.

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 06:56:00 AM »

Devlog Update 1 - October 2016: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=57282.msg1288204#msg1288204

Games:

Jaxkr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 10:26:24 AM »

Thank you fractilegames for all the compliments!
Likely that the wall jump will not be in the next iterations of the demo, I should dedicate more time to improve it but now I prefer to concentrate on improving other game mechanics.
I'm implementing the grab ledge, should make the game more fluid and enjoyable, adding more precise controls on hard jump sections.

Just further commenting on the wall jump. When I first jumped into a wall and stopped moving I thought it was a collision bug. If you do keep the mechanic maybe make it so you slowly slide down the wall SMB style?
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 02:15:42 AM »

I have already made that change Jaxtr , now when you collide with the wall, the slide is now accelerated and you go down faster. Wink

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 04:06:10 AM »

New version:

https://ordnas.itch.io/daemon-test (loading time slow, wait 1 minute or so)

- changed main character
- changed monsters (Goblin and Blob)
- added sword power-up
- corrected game transition fade in/out
- various fixed

For now I suspend the project, it is a type of game that too much derivative + lots of assets/lore/quantity in general, it's just not fitting with my short-freetime. I will start a new one, easier and shorter game.

Games:

Sevenjace
Level 0

Pacta Sunt Servanda

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 08:10:26 PM »

This game is feeling awesome. The backgrounds are great, the character is cute (very cute  Kiss), The controls feels responsive and the level is easy following through, I liked it. also, the enemies (especially the fist one you encounter, the blue spiky ball) were very intuitive to know that i should'nt step on it.

For some reason tho, the sword didn't worked. I pressed the X on the Xbox controller and tryed the S Key on the keyboard but it didn't work as well.

Love it. i'll be waiting to see it more complete.
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 12:02:29 PM »

This game is feeling awesome. The backgrounds are great, the character is cute (very cute  Kiss), The controls feels responsive and the level is easy following through, I liked it. also, the enemies (especially the fist one you encounter, the blue spiky ball) were very intuitive to know that i should'nt step on it.

For some reason tho, the sword didn't worked. I pressed the X on the Xbox controller and tryed the S Key on the keyboard but it didn't work as well.

Love it. i'll be waiting to see it more complete.

Thank you very much Sevenjace for your reply!  Grin About the sword, I think that I messed up the buttons configuration...  Roll Eyes

Games:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic