Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:35:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessLess than 1000 views on Steam Greenlight. Is this normal?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Less than 1000 views on Steam Greenlight. Is this normal?  (Read 1575 times)
Spram
Level 0

I'm shy

View Profile WWW
« on: August 07, 2016, 09:25:14 PM »

I hesitated to post this because I'm sure it's been posted here a million times now...

This image is old. Now I got 998 views and it's 28% to the top 100.
The game has 42% yes votes and 55% no. (rest is ask me later).

I know I'm supposed to market my game but I have no idea how.

I put the game in Townhall on these forums, put a demo on itch.io.

I don't know what else to do.

I don't want to bother anyone and I'm shy as ffff. I don't know how I can let people know of my game without being annoying and to be honest, the Greenlight reception is making me wonder if my game is any good. Why tell people of my mediocre game?

Anyway, I assumed that I would get a least a little bit more views in Greenlight, but it seems very few people actually go there.

How do other people do it?

I don't want to sound like a prrrrick, but...
A certain 3D platformer, which I won't name, got Greenlit pretty quickly. Some people who commented negatively about my game commented positive about it. I downloaded the demo to the other game and.. well, maybe it's because I'm biased but my game is much better. That other game was pretty incomplete, had worse camera, no controller support, worse controls and other stuff. I don't want to say it's a bad game, because i think it can be pretty good but it was in no way polished. Pretty much anything bad you could say about my game was even worse in that other one (except the music, the other game's music was pretty good). It sounds like I'm envious, but I actually wish them good luck, I'm just confused. What did they do right that I did wrong? Also, I'm a little bit envious.
talum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 11:09:14 PM »

Put it in a bundle (e.g. Groupees).
gornova
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 12:42:38 AM »

my 2 cents: build a website with a clear overview of your game, features etc.. but for doing that, you need to understand your target audience (everyone is not an answer).

For example is a game for child ? For teenagers ? For adults ?
What kind of website/ forums / social networks your target audience use ?

you have also a lot of greenlit comments, try to understand feedback, for example:

- fix main character face: it's a waste of time of worth it ?
- improve GUI fonts
- adding quests or lore

and more important: try to get feedback on people you know, so you can see how they play, what they think matter most and change it. Test, improve and again...

Blog | Last game Number+
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 02:23:51 AM »

Put it in a bundle (e.g. Groupees).
how to kill your game in one step lol.

If you're patient your game will eventually be greenlit even with only 1000 views, since it looks more competent and solid than most submitted games there.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 02:29:24 AM by b∀ kkusa » Logged
Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 11:08:36 AM »

Greenlighting has nothing to do with the actual quality of the game: is all about first impressions. Try to ask yourself why your video/screenshots aren't striking the right chords.
I see the greenlight page has plenty of comments. Read them all, especially the bad ones! You'll find sparks of truth among all the harshness and nasty critiques.

Personally, three things would stop me from voting your game:
- Cutscenes looks very amateurish. The simple art style fits the tone of your game, but the shadowing/lineart of the characters need more work.
- Design of the main character is unappealing. Not because it's "too girly" (I am a girl, after all), but because it's the wrong type of girly: it looks stereotypical, and remembers me of Hello Kitty games.
From the look of your character, I am assuming the game's target are very young girls. But is that really the case?
The platforming looks really solid, and the game seems relaxed, but not easy. I fear you're limiting your own target audience!
- Game description is screaming I am an amateur but I'm trying my best. Though humility is important, be more confident when you talk about your game! If you, the developer, are saying the game has its flaws, why should I buy it?

Just my two cents. I haven't tried your game yet, I just looked at your greenlight page and tried to analyze your presentation.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 01:13:38 PM by Bric-à-brac » Logged

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 01:10:02 PM »

Greenlight is a popularity contest. Don't be bothered by the strangeness of it all.
Spram
Level 0

I'm shy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 01:54:34 PM »

gornova: The target audience might be my biggest problem. I'm still living in the mid-late 90's where Nintendo was still (mostly) king. I like colorful games with blue skies and simple cartoon characters... I also like more complicated game (here I mention how I like Dark Souls like everybody else), but I also like the simpler ones. This game might be too simple for the PC and it's target audience.

b∀ kkusa: Thanks!

Bric-à-brac: Well, she is pink and has a bow so you might have a point. As for Hello Kitty.. I like their designs. Simple and cute. I guess it's a personal thing. I'll think about it.
The cutscenes are pretty amateurish. In fact, most of the game might look slightly amateurish.. I think that's part of the charm, but I can see why other people might not agree.
The game description on the Greenlight page is just me being me. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
Unfortunately I didn't know of these forums before. But for my next game I'll post on the Devlogs forum. Get some feedback.
rhinboost
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 12:29:11 PM »

Maybe I am coming late, but it says the game has been Greenlit by the community, congrats !
NoLocality
Level 1

AssetsAssetsAssetsAssetsAssets...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 12:48:09 PM »

Greenlit!

Noice, welcome to steam!

Spram
Level 0

I'm shy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 08:43:39 PM »

I guess I now know the answer!

Thanks everyone!
tjcbs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 08:12:56 AM »

So what is the answer? What did you do that you attribute getting greenlit to?

Calibanul
Level 0

Work Work Work Work Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 09:38:51 PM »

You have to bring people from multiple sources, not only one forum. Also there is the luck factor, maybe there were many game released that day and your game didn't stay on top

Got to ask:
How many people knew about the game before the Steam Greenlight?
How many iterations your game had?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic