Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:03:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNo Place for Bravery - Atmospheric Time Manipulation Roguelite (Trailer is out!)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: No Place for Bravery - Atmospheric Time Manipulation Roguelite (Trailer is out!)  (Read 7077 times)
GlitchFactory
Level 0

Development Company from Brasília - Brazil

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2016, 12:26:31 PM »

Hi Everyone!

We are a small team from Brasília - Brasil and we're working on this eerie, minimalist roguelite called No Place For Bravery. I'll try to update this thread at least twice a month. Of course, questions, suggestions and feedbacks are always welcome!

The Story/Mood

Ancient entities overcame the world. A group of survivors wanders through the unknown fighting a lost war. Through the fallen ashes of civilization, a question remains: is there still place for Bravery?

Bravery is set in an eerie high fantasy world in which you play as a group of adventurers on a quest to slay the godlike entities that are “wiping out” mankind.

A Different Kind of Worldbuilding

The thing is: we don’t want to tell our story using regular exposition, rather, the player will absorb the nuances of Bravery’s narrative by exploring its gorgeous environment, experiencing the aesthetics of its mechanics or by simply making sense of the vast array of mysterious random events.

Of course, like many other roguelites, Bravery is filled with unique random events. The idea is to use these events to craft the game’s mythology. On each new run the player will discover new characters, places, creatures and itens, each, a little piece of Bravery’s narrative Puzzle.

​The Combat System

Heavily inspired by action RPGs like Dark Souls and Hyper Light Drifter, but also by purely action games like Hotline Miami and Titan Souls, No Place for Bravery focus a lot more on the “action"part of Action RPG.

The game features minimalist controls and interfaces, one hit kills and absolutely ​no numbers! We promise!

But Bravery’s big twist is its time control mechanic.

Very much like Super Time Force, Bravery features a time manipulation mechanic that let’s the player control more than one character simultaneously-ish by playing with one character and then rewinding time and playing with another character alongside the first one.

This adds a lot of tactical depth to the game. Not only you have to plan every move, you a also have to synchronise  everything.

​The "Deromantization” of RPGs

We love RPGs and Bravery, of course, is inspired by a lot of classic (and modern) RPGs. But we want to go beyond the classic formulas. Specifically, we want to get rid of all the grinding, Skinner Box mechanics and “artificial” stats-based progression systems. We want the game to really feel organic.

Each new character, skill or item adds a new mechanic or expands an existing one. ​No Place for +1 Swords

The game will be extremely hard and completely skill and strategy based. We want our world to be relentless. We want the players to feel their mediocrity before such a world.

Development Status

We've been developing the game for about two months now. There are a lot of maps done (all "handcrafted", no procedural generation yet), a few monsters, 4 playable characters and a really early build. We are currently working on our first trailer, so all of our efforts are on making assets and animations for the trailer. So yeah, hopefully I'll be able to share it with you in the coming weeks.

Some Screenshots:

Follow us!

Twitter - @BraveryGame

Facebook - /braverygame

Reddit - r/NoPlaceForBravery
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:15:30 AM by GlitchFactory » Logged
CullenCoyote
Level 0

@cullenddwyer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 12:39:00 PM »

The art is looking very nice so far, and I dig the concept... Looking forward to hearing more!

Handsome Mr. Frog Released on Steam!
sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 02:17:27 PM »

Wow this looks awesome! Reminds me indeed a bit to Hyper Light Drifter, a game which I love! Very cool! I'm following. Smiley

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
Apalka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 09:40:36 PM »

Yeah, environment looks like Hyper Light Drifter, but I dig it. Good luck!

Games PR and Marketing Guy | Made the biggest YouTubers' list | Twitter | Email: [email protected]
GlitchFactory
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 06:49:11 AM »

Thank you guys!
JWest
Level 0

Aspiring dude.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 07:11:28 AM »

Loving what I see in the screenshots, looks incredible!

​The "Deromantization” of RPGs

We love RPGs and Bravery, of course, is inspired by a lot of classic (and modern) RPGs. But we want to go beyond the classic formulas. Specifically, we want to get rid of all the grinding, Skinner Box mechanics and “artificial” stats-based progression systems. We want the game to really feel organic.

Each new character, skill or item adds a new mechanic or expands an existing one. ​No Place for +1 Swords

The game will be extremely hard and completely skill and strategy based. We want our world to be relentless. We want the players to feel their mediocrity before such a world.

Looking forward to seeing this idea flesh out as well.  Following this for updates Wizard

I'm here to learn things.

Watch me tryhard. | Watch me tweet about it.
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 08:14:43 AM »

Deromantization of RPGs :O

You guys might be onto something. Who knows, you might be the first of many "genre-bending" games, regarding an RPG style. I look forward to more.

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
GlitchFactory
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 10:30:31 AM »

New desert region done!

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 06:07:58 PM »

These look pretty good. Curious about the time manipulation part.

Following this!

Frogs_Milk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 06:10:06 PM »

Looks great. Really sold me on depth of the scenes.

FrogsMilk. Udderly Absurd.

@FrogsMilk
[email protected]
TheItalianeer.com
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 06:37:45 PM »

As told you through Twitter, this is looking amazing so far! Excited about this project. Keep the great work!

And let me do some spam by inviting you to take a look to our project, Monster Prom! (:

Check the devlog for MONSTER PROM
And follow us on TWITTER
TheWanderingBen
Level 1

Making Games Around the Globe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 07:41:42 PM »

Great colours (I especially like the desert and moss-ruins scenes) but "we want to go beyond the classic formulas... to get rid of all the grinding, Skinner Box mechanics and “artificial” stats-based progression systems" excites me the most. It seems like you've already made a lot of progress in a short amount of time! How many of you are on the team?

Good luck guys!

wuuthrer
Level 0

I draw stuff, I make games, I like it dirty

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 12:50:48 AM »

Would love to see more about this time manipulation thing. I really liked Super Time Force mechanic, but it sometimes felt a little bit clunky. I'm really interested about playing around with this mechanic into a game more strategy skill based.

- Don't Kill Her -
  No choice is given, but the rest belongs to us.
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 10:27:32 AM »

Saw your screenshots in the SCREENSHOTS thread. Looks totally gorgeous, and your description has me super on board. I'm a big roguelike fan, so I'd love to hear more about how you're approaching roguelike design, and since you referred to it as a "roguelight", the kinds of design decisions you're making that defy classic roguelike conventions.

Your worldbuilding, with powerful ancient gods wiping out humanity, sounds pretty Lovecraftian and cool, which I always love. I like it when games defy the player's expectation to always be the most powerful/special/important focus of the game.

Have you seen Neon Genesis Evangelion? Smiley

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 02:07:23 PM »

This looks pretty incredible for only two months - the art style is beautiful.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
GlitchFactory
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 02:09:10 PM »

First of all, thank you all for the positive feedback!

We've been receiving a few questions about our design decisions so I'll try to address them here.

"The Deromantization of RPGs"

This one is pretty simple. Our goal is to make No Place for Bravery the opposite of a power fantasy. That's why we decided to remove some classic RPG conventions. The characters are only human, not invincible super heroes.

We want the player to be afraid. We want him to treat every single enemy with respect, because even the weakest enemy is a serious threat.

This is our high concept and will guide every design and artistic decision.

The Progression System

Our big inspiration here is Spelunky. There is no levelling up, your characters aren't going to get more hit points (the game doesn't even have hit points), they won't improve their DPS. The only one who's going to become better over time is the player himself.

There is some progression in the game. You'll find new characters, items and even new skills along the way, but each will introduce a new mechanic and will force the player to make strategic considerations.

The perfect example here is Spelunky, think of the teleporter or the jetpack, they both represent progression in the game, but instead of just adding +1 to your speed they both add new mechanics that demand skill to be used.

No Numbers

I'm a huge FIFA fan (don't judge me) and FIFA uses stats to differentiate each player. And that's fair. There are a lot of attributes, to determine how good a player is at dribbling, for example, there are four attributes: dribbling, ball control, agility and balance. What dazzles me is why the hell do they show these attributes to the player? There is no need for it. Just say that a player is fast, you don't need to say that the player has a sprint speed of 91, you can easily keep these numbers under the hood.

It even create some odd statements from the game. As you may know, the biggest debate in modern football is Messi vs Ronaldo. Every year FIFA tries to settle this debate by making one have an overall of 93 and the other 94. This is wrong and really arbitrary, who are they to determine who's better? If they kept these numbers under the hood this would be avoided.

Of course, there are a lot of games where the numbers are a big part of the strategy. I've been playing Hearthstone lately and it is obviously a game that needs to show it's numbers.

But Bravery is primarily an action game and we really think that the players don't need to see any numbers. They should make their decisions based on what "they feel", not on the numbers we show them. We think that this will make the strategic part of the game feel way more organic.

By hiding the numbers, the players won't know exactly how the game works. And that's a good thing, it creates a sense of mystery, it makes the players speculate how the systems really work.

The Combat System

Would love to see more about this time manipulation thing. I really liked Super Time Force mechanic, but it sometimes felt a little bit clunky. I'm really interested about playing around with this mechanic into a game more strategy skill based.

You nailed it. That's exactly how I feel about Super Time Force.

I always wanted to make a simultaneous turn based game like Frozen Synapse and Star Wars X-Wing (the board game). I think it is a really clever mechanic and adds a lot of depth to strategy games.

When I saw Super Time Force I thought that their time manipulation mechanic would be even better than simultaneous turns for a strategy game. And that's how the idea that led to No Place for Bravery was born.

In No Place for Bravery, the combat is divided in 10 second "turns". You select a character and play with him for ten seconds, at the end of the turn the game will rewind 10s and you will select another character to play beside the first one.

Very similar to Super Time Force, but we wanted the pace of the combat to be way slower and more strategic.

The controls are going to be very minimal. Only four buttons - attack, defense (dodge, shield or parry, depending on the character), special attack 1 and special attack 2 (which you don't start with, that's the only upgrade you can get to your character). The game's combat system is all about positioning, strategy, precision and synchrony.

There are no hit points, every playable character and every enemy (except for bosses) dies with one hit. Regular enemies aren't exposed at all times, some will require timing to kill.

Of course, everything that I said can and probably will change. Keep in mind that we're still early in development.

I think this will make the game's mechanics a little bit clearer. If you have any doubts feel free to ask and I'll try to answer them as quickly as I can!
Sora
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2016, 04:23:02 PM »

I came when I saw your screenshots... Seriously though, really talented artist right here! I can't wait to see more, this is going to be big.

Zencha
Level 0

I make noise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 07:49:34 PM »

looks hawt hawt. Who's doing audio?
Ghat-Smith
Level 0

Developer of the game OTOT

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 11:40:10 AM »

Awesome graphcis ! Can't wait to see moving elements on these environments :D.

Developer of the game OTOT
OTOT DevLog
GlitchFactory
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 03:58:01 PM »

Great colours (I especially like the desert and moss-ruins scenes) but "we want to go beyond the classic formulas... to get rid of all the grinding, Skinner Box mechanics and “artificial” stats-based progression systems" excites me the most. It seems like you've already made a lot of progress in a short amount of time! How many of you are on the team?

Good luck guys!

looks hawt hawt. Who's doing audio?

We're a 5-person team:

- Túlio Mendes - Artist
- João Esse - Animator
- Otávio Soato - Programmer
- Caio Fernandes - Producer, Business and PR
- Pedro Machado (me!) - Game Designer, Composer/Sound Designer and a little bit of PR

As told you through Twitter, this is looking amazing so far! Excited about this project. Keep the great work!

And let me do some spam by inviting you to take a look to our project, Monster Prom! (:

Monster Prom is looking awesome! What a cool concept!

Saw your screenshots in the SCREENSHOTS thread. Looks totally gorgeous, and your description has me super on board. I'm a big roguelike fan, so I'd love to hear more about how you're approaching roguelike design, and since you referred to it as a "roguelight", the kinds of design decisions you're making that defy classic roguelike conventions.

Your worldbuilding, with powerful ancient gods wiping out humanity, sounds pretty Lovecraftian and cool, which I always love. I like it when games defy the player's expectation to always be the most powerful/special/important focus of the game.

Have you seen Neon Genesis Evangelion? Smiley

Thank you Natman!

To be honest with you I think this roguelike vs roguelite/roguelike-like debate is a little silly, I'm using the term roguelite because to me it sounds a bit more diplomatic. In terms of structure the game will be similar to FTL: permadeath, procedurally generated maps and a lot of random events.

I still haven't watched Evangelion, but I've been meaning to...
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic