Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:42:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNo Place for Bravery - Atmospheric Time Manipulation Roguelite (Trailer is out!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: No Place for Bravery - Atmospheric Time Manipulation Roguelite (Trailer is out!)  (Read 7007 times)
Sora
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2016, 06:14:45 PM »

How's it going guys? Will you be posting any gifs soon? Would love to see some gameplay.

Tuliocmendes
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 06:20:12 AM »

Saw your screenshots in the SCREENSHOTS thread. Looks totally gorgeous, and your description has me super on board. I'm a big roguelike fan, so I'd love to hear more about how you're approaching roguelike design, and since you referred to it as a "roguelight", the kinds of design decisions you're making that defy classic roguelike conventions.

Your worldbuilding, with powerful ancient gods wiping out humanity, sounds pretty Lovecraftian and cool, which I always love. I like it when games defy the player's expectation to always be the most powerful/special/important focus of the game.

Have you seen Neon Genesis Evangelion? Smiley

Hi, Túlio from the huge art department here.

Evangelion hits exactly on the mood we want.

Now that you mentioned... i need to research some references for one of the bosses. :D
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 06:29:15 AM »

Waiting impatiently to see it moving! Smiley Good luck with this project guys!

GlitchFactory
Level 0

Development Company from Brasília - Brazil

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 01:29:13 PM »

The High Concept

At the very beginning, we decided to idealize a world that could fit the story we were willing to tell. And that creative - and pleasantly long - process resulted in what we today call our High Concept.

Bravery’s High Concept goes far beyond the time and place where the story takes place. It goes beyond the narrative and mythology of the world we created. It is more than the sum of creatures, characters, spells and different regions and biomes.

Our High Concept is how the player feel every single experience he will have within the game. It is the atmosphere of a world the player knows nothing about. It is the anguish and torment of losing a character to some absurdly beautiful creature. It is to realize that bonding with a character can be really dangerous, as he/she understands that death comes easily - and that it happens for a reason. The High Concept shouldn’t be confused with game feel. It is as hard to explain as it is to understand, but when you do, you start to see the game through a whole new light.

Analyzing these concepts is probably a useless attempt to illustrate what I am talking about here, but I’ll try: If you look at the images, you will see two different concepts of the same character. At the first one we can clearly see where the inspirations came from: a strong “Barbarian” born and raised for battle. Axe and cape, skull belt and muscles. That concept was made before our High Concept birth. All we had was a story to tell and some indispensable character classes. We are looking at a victorious warrior, and that’s it.

Now, if you take a good look at the second image, you will see that it is the same character. The same strong man. But built after we had our High Concept learned by heart. We are now looking at a lumberjack. Or a butcher. Or even at a serviceman, a farmer, a tamer. We can be looking at a father. In this image we don’t know anymore what we are looking at. We see a strong man, we see blood. But we don’t know for sure if he was fighting. We can’t know if he won or lost that fight, nor why he was fighting at first place. We can’t tell if he enjoyed it or not.

We almost can’t tell anything about him. Almost nothing told or given. No obviousness. Nothing.

Stories - specially RPG ones - are generally romantic. Heroes defeating beasts, victims saved from villains, characters that never die. Good and bad, right and wrong, all too easily given to the player. Even when we have a plot twist and the main character goes rogue and turns into a monster, that is still it: a good person turned into a bad person. That’s not what Bravery is about. We’re telling a story where good and bad are conclusions. They are perceptions that the player may - or may not - have.

Bravery goes beyond a genre deromantization. It is the deromantization of every heroic story ever told.

That is what our High Concept is all about. Each player will build a story of his own, based on the encounters and pieces of information given to him throughout his gameplay. Each player will have to experience the game to understand it, and each understanding can be unique.

Caio Fernandes | @fernandesmcaio
Producer & PR - Glitch Factory

Follow us!

Twitter - @BraveryGame

Facebook - /braverygame

Reddit - r/NoPlaceForBravery

GlitchFactory
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2016, 10:29:59 AM »

Waiting impatiently to see it moving! Smiley Good luck with this project guys!

How's it going guys? Will you be posting any gifs soon? Would love to see some gameplay.

Awesome graphcis ! Can't wait to see moving elements on these environments :D.

I came when I saw your screenshots... Seriously though, really talented artist right here! I can't wait to see more, this is going to be big.

Looks great. Really sold me on depth of the scenes.

Thank you so much, guys! Those compliments really mean a lot to us!
We are kind of swamped with deadlines here, but good news is that the trailer is coming out next week! :D

Hope you'll enjoy it! As soon as it's out we'll post it here - and we'll have some animated GIFs out before that, too! Wink
GlitchFactory
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2016, 06:13:18 AM »

Our first trailer is out!

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 06:20:06 AM »

Wow! Really nice trailer. Great pacing, and the game looks beautiful. Really nice sound for the trailer too.

Read the last post about the concept - really interesting and well thought out. Definitely following this  Beer!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
dotsquid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 06:32:16 AM »

Hand ClapShocked  ..wow..
GlitchFactory
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2016, 04:26:48 PM »

Hand ClapShocked  ..wow..

Wow! Really nice trailer. Great pacing, and the game looks beautiful. Really nice sound for the trailer too.

Read the last post about the concept - really interesting and well thought out. Definitely following this  Beer!

Thank you guys!
Zencha
Level 0

I make noise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2016, 10:02:30 PM »

GRATZ ON THE TRAILER  Beer! Looks hot, can't wait to see more. I love "big cool things in the distance"
Cristiano Vitorino
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2016, 06:46:19 AM »

Looks beautiful and interesting! Awesome aesthetics. Reminds me of D&D, the tabletop game, parties going out for adventure and all.

Nice trailer also. Im curious about something, judging by the trailer, the game felt like running at 30 FPS and have some stutter (even with 720p60 and up), I understand that you guys are still in midle of development and stuff, but I'm curious, are you guys targeting 30 FPS? If yes, is there a reason? Considering it seems to have real time battles.

Awesome job so far. Following to see more progress. Beer!
PadawanProgrammer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2016, 05:43:31 PM »

Do you mind sharing what framework/engine you are using for development? Or is this a homegrown build?  I just assumed you were using something since it's only been developed over the last few months.

It really looks great, can't wait to see more as the development continues.
Sankar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2016, 06:16:13 PM »

I really liked the trailer, the way you guys presented it as a moody piece really sells it!

But as noted by another friend, there are some scenes where the video really starts to stutter, and that is strange as most game recorders run everything back at 30/60fps even with frame drops...
Its the game using an built-in frame-skipper?

wizered67
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2016, 07:28:36 PM »

Nice trailer and cool concept! Following Smiley
zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2016, 09:56:09 PM »

Wow. Awesome trailer, great concept, really cool visual style and you've got two excellent game design ideas with the de-RPG aspect AND the time manipulation. Ambitious, but it seems like you can pull it off with that team!
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2016, 11:56:21 PM »

I saw the early screenshots you posted and thought it was a bit too much like Hyper Light Drifter. But, I'm totally wrong - just watched the trailer and you're definitely capturing your own style and mood here.

REALLY excited to see where you go with this!

GlitchFactory
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2016, 11:06:37 AM »

GRATZ ON THE TRAILER  Beer! Looks hot, can't wait to see more. I love "big cool things in the distance"

Wow. Awesome trailer, great concept, really cool visual style and you've got two excellent game design ideas with the de-RPG aspect AND the time manipulation. Ambitious, but it seems like you can pull it off with that team!

I saw the early screenshots you posted and thought it was a bit too much like Hyper Light Drifter. But, I'm totally wrong - just watched the trailer and you're definitely capturing your own style and mood here.

REALLY excited to see where you go with this!

Nice trailer and cool concept! Following Smiley

Thank you guys!

Looks beautiful and interesting! Awesome aesthetics. Reminds me of D&D, the tabletop game, parties going out for adventure and all.

Nice trailer also. Im curious about something, judging by the trailer, the game felt like running at 30 FPS and have some stutter (even with 720p60 and up), I understand that you guys are still in midle of development and stuff, but I'm curious, are you guys targeting 30 FPS? If yes, is there a reason? Considering it seems to have real time battles.

Awesome job so far. Following to see more progress. Beer!

I really liked the trailer, the way you guys presented it as a moody piece really sells it!

But as noted by another friend, there are some scenes where the video really starts to stutter, and that is strange as most game recorders run everything back at 30/60fps even with frame drops...
Its the game using an built-in frame-skipper?

The frame rate drops were probably just some video recording/rendering issues, the game is already running at 60fps.

Do you mind sharing what framework/engine you are using for development? Or is this a homegrown build?  I just assumed you were using something since it's only been developed over the last few months.

It really looks great, can't wait to see more as the development continues.

We're using the good old Unity!
fentlewoodlewix
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2016, 11:20:55 AM »

i love this art.
the trailer is nice tool.
really looking forward to the game.
kynanjoel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2016, 11:48:14 AM »