Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:53:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)What skills do I need to achieve this?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What skills do I need to achieve this?  (Read 1199 times)
jmas
Level 1

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2016, 12:23:20 AM »

Hi, I'm struggling to figure out what I would need to learn to achieve this.

What's "this"?

Well, I wanna be good enough one day to be able to develop something similar to these games:

Noby noby boy

Parappa the rappa

I'm really into that glitchy weird style, but I don't know where to start. I'm familiar with the basics of some programming languages such as C++, C#, and Java, but I don't know if that'll help. Thanks for your time.

djr
Level 0

Smith and Winston Coder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 07:21:42 AM »

Really your best bet is to just get stuck in to Unity. It's more than powerful enough to render games like this. You'll be at home with the C# and start creating assets. There are many tutorials on skeletal animation, static models, cameras etc. Just slowly build up toward a prototype game by applying tutorials.

To create models you'll need to learn Blender of 3DSMax.

The artwork in this style of games could be done in MS Paint tbh but you'll be better off with GIMP for Photoshop.

What you'll really need to learn though s how to put up with people going "that looks weird, I don't like it" Smiley

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 01:07:42 PM »

The first skill I recommend developing is the ability to do things without having developed skills, i.e. improvising and adapting. Just go out and do shit. In doing so, you will develop skills.

I find that if you try to replicate something by trying to figure out how you could pull it off within your current means and on your own there is a good chance you're going to accidentally stumble onto something new and interesting, your own little branch of whatever it is you were trying to emulate.

Whenever you get stuck you can seek out whatever tutorials or resources you need but until then there is nothing to lose by putting your brain to work and trying to see what you can come up with. Creativity requires creative thinking, don't be quick to search out the "right way" to do something, first try to see what ways you can come up with.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
jasontomlee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 06:51:48 PM »

You'll never know until you try it out yourself! I recommend starting small to not become overwhelmed at the start. Always aim to learn something new & you'll be able to code many games in no time.
Also something to keep in mind- you would need an artist for those models! So having connections/resources are important!

==== Creating simple Gamemaker assets & games ====

TWITTER: https://twitter.com/jasontomlee
ITCH:    https://jasontomlee.itch.io/
jmas
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 11:57:44 PM »

Also something to keep in mind- you would need an artist for those models! So having connections/resources are important!
I wanna be the artist though
that's why I was asking

I assume you need to have skills in both programming and art to achieve those effects, so I couldn't really pick one forum category. Thanks though
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 03:05:59 AM by jmas » Logged

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 08:06:10 AM »

You'd need both programming and art skills, but that's not at all unrealistic.

My main tip would be DO NOT follow this plan:

1) Get skills.
2) Make your dream game.

Instead, start as soon as you can making much smaller, simpler games and gradually build up until you feel confident you can take on a big project. These simple things don't have to be brilliant or original or even be games as such. Practice matters.

jmas
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 09:06:23 AM »

I can agree with that. Smiley thanks.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic