Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:05:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDoes mobile availability cause you to buy a game?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Does mobile availability cause you to buy a game?  (Read 1114 times)
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: August 12, 2016, 08:24:10 AM »

If you have decided to buy a game that was available on console or desktop but saw it available on the phone or tablet, please share the game and why you made that choice!

I ask because in my experience the control scheme & screen size makes for a better experience playing games on a computer or console so I'd like to get contrary opinions.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 08:33:35 AM »

If it's available on PC I wouldn't get it on mobile. I only get mobile games that are made for mobile.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 12:37:48 PM »

If it's available on PC I wouldn't get it on mobile. I only get mobile games that are made for mobile.
what about downwell

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 01:10:53 PM »

what about downwell

I don't have it on mobile but I wish I did. That and Super Hexagon, only exceptions to the rule.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 02:21:36 PM »

king of dragon pass mobile remake is better than the pc original.

i don't think you can really make a blanket statement about this. some games work better on mobile, others work better at home. a tiny handful work well in both formats. for instance, i enjoy michael brough's games equally on pc and mobile. they work well in both settings due to their easyy to learn/hard to master nature and there's real difference in playability because they are turn-based games with simple controls.
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 11:22:27 AM »

I don't really "game" on mobile, but I guess I'd go with the one that looks like it would control the best?
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 03:54:21 PM »

i don't think you can really make a blanket statement about this. some games work better on mobile, others work better at home. a tiny handful work well in both formats. for instance, i enjoy michael brough's games equally on pc and mobile. they work well in both settings due to their easyy to learn/hard to master nature and there's real difference in playability because they are turn-based games with simple controls.

Yeah I loved Imbroglio but I can't look at a tiny screen hunched over for very long. Anticipating a PC release

Slowminder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 02:54:23 AM »

Bought X-com for iPad after completing game on PC. Thought that I would play it. Never have I been so wrong.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 04:29:04 AM »

Bought X-com for iPad after completing game on PC. Thought that I would play it. Never have I been so wrong.

Because you were already happy with your experience on PC? Did you play the PC one anymore after beating it & had the iPad version?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 05:14:40 AM »

I played xcom EW (not EU) on my phone a couple times. Controls are a bit fiddly and it's of course a battery hog but I had fun. It's a feature complete port as far as I know.
Slowminder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 05:27:18 AM »

Because you were already happy with your experience on PC? Did you play the PC one anymore after beating it & had the iPad version?

Partly, I guess. Though tablets are pretty decent platform for turn-based strategies, but still mouse+keyboard dominate. And yeah, I've completed the game once more on PC after that.
It was even worse with Star Wars: KOTOR. I even didn't make it through the tutorial level. Controls were quite bad, and all PC interface looked not so well on a small tablet.
The only BIG game on the tablet that I've enjoyed is GTA: San Andreas. I didn't complete it, but I've made it through 1st city and half of 2nd, I guess. The controls were OK - I've even managed to pass driving school with gold medal.
But the bottom line is - I don't buy serious titles on mobile platforms anymore.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 04:13:55 PM »

Everyone knows that Infinity Blade is the only worthwhile game to buy on iOS. Also its sequels.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 04:58:39 PM »

not really
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 05:39:26 AM »

Thank you all for your inputs this has been educational

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 08:29:26 AM »

Knowing that a game is on mobile would strongly put me off buying it on PC or console.
I would have difficlty believing the games controls or mechanics would feel any good if they are meant to work on both

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 06:09:23 AM »

I hate gaming on mobile. Have tried to game on it. Hated the experience. Would buy pc/console game instead.

Yeah.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 09:59:51 AM »

I buy mobile games when they are made for mobile devices, otherwise PC/Console all the way.

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 01:09:43 PM »

I tend to actually AVOID games that have a mobile version as the PC version 9 times out of 10 will have the same shitty touch interface half-adapted to work with a mouse.

-Fuzzy Spider
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2016, 01:11:21 PM »

also the ios/android version of galaxy trucker is more fun than the original board game, at least for singleplayer. and im saying that as a digital board game hater.

tho the games that do work on both mobile and pc are almost always turn based games. downwell is the one exception i can think of that is pretty close. also some shmup ports are enjoyable on mobile even if the controls are suboptimal.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 12:54:23 PM »

Everyone knows that Infinity Blade is the only worthwhile game to buy on iOS. Also its sequels.
man, i know this is at least partly facetious but wow this really riled me up

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic