Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411475 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 02:01:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopdspencer learns how to pixel
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: dspencer learns how to pixel  (Read 6534 times)
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: August 13, 2016, 11:02:30 AM »

I'm trying to start seriously learning how to make nice looking pixel art. Please help me make it better!

To start, some tiles and a background from a game I'm working on (character is borrowed for prototyping)

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 06:52:20 AM by dspencer » Logged

Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 10:54:35 PM »

Hey Dspencer! My feedback is going to be very based on my own tastes, but here goes.

Notice how the snow and the spikes in the back are shaded? I think you should apply that to all the tiles so you get a feel of volume for them.  also believe that you could go with bigger chunks of rock for the ground, as the current one is quite 'noisy'.

For the colors, can get a good start by checking complimentary colors for your basic ground tile, you coud try using this page for example http://paletton.com/.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 11:06:56 PM »

maybe you should start with smaller sprites, like 16x16. Right now youre trying to bite too much with those 32x32 tiles.
maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 01:55:28 PM »

I agree with @Cobralad. I'd also suggest reading a bit of color theory and trying to pixel things using a restricted palette to train your eye on how color works in pixel art.

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 04:53:38 AM »

Thank you guys for the feedback. I'll try reducing size+palette. Do you have any recommended reading?

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 06:54:18 AM »

Did some reading, and tried remaking those tiles. I still need to add full borders to them, but is this the right track? Should I try to have all of my tiles share the same palette, or is it ok to have different color palettes between, say, ice and cave tiles? I guess this is all stylistic but I'm still not experienced enough to have opinions on my own style...

EDIT: put together, with some snow:

Hrm, I chose background colors pretty quickly based on contrast w/ the foreground, and I think that works, but they don't really fit the scene. Does it work to have similar bg / fg hue and just desaturate + brighten/darken a lot?

EDIT II: Yeah, looks better like this I think:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 06:22:07 PM by dspencer » Logged

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 12:09:46 AM »

I think first one reads better but its because that snow pile reads like a background cloud to me. Its generally a good idea to make collision borders the brightest or darkest place on the level.

niqle
Level 0

I should be drawing

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 01:53:49 PM »

I'll write down some advice tomorrow. Too tired atm.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic