Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:39:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCommand Of War - WW1 Trench Warfare Strategy Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Command Of War - WW1 Trench Warfare Strategy Game  (Read 36249 times)
Subdomain Games
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2016, 02:08:37 AM »

Name: Command Of War
Genre: Strategy
Platform: PC
Release Date: TBA (2017)

Command Of War is an intense, authentic and brutal World War 1 trench warfare strategy game which has been in development for over a year. Experience the brutality and stalemate of Trench warfare on both the western and eastern fronts during the Great War.

Command Of War is due for PC in 2017. Bookmark or watch this thread to keep up to date with its development.

Check out the 15 minute Gameplay video (YouTube)

WHY NOT DOWNLOAD AND TRY THE DEMO NOW!

DOWNLOAD & PLAY COMMAND OF WAR DEMO NOW!

All feedback is welcome and encouraged! Smiley

« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 10:24:29 PM by Subdomain Games » Logged
Fincks
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 08:32:20 AM »

Hey,

I gave it a try and really liked it.

Here are a few questions :

I couldn't select a sniper and take control of him as in the video, is it a feature that's not yet included or did I just fail to select one ?

Is there or will there be a way to select a "squad" of unit ? When I attacked a trench I'd have liked to only advance with my submachine gunner/rifleman, not with my snipers as they are a very precious ressource.
I don't seem to have a precise control over who I can send to the next trench which is a bit frustrating and disappointing as it would add more tactical complexity.

Subdomain Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 09:20:20 AM »

Hey,

I gave it a try and really liked it.

Here are a few questions :

I couldn't select a sniper and take control of him as in the video, is it a feature that's not yet included or did I just fail to select one ?

Is there or will there be a way to select a "squad" of unit ? When I attacked a trench I'd have liked to only advance with my submachine gunner/rifleman, not with my snipers as they are a very precious ressource.
I don't seem to have a precise control over who I can send to the next trench which is a bit frustrating and disappointing as it would add more tactical complexity.

Thank you very much for playing Command Of War and taking the time to post your feedback.

With regards to selecting the sniper, RIGHT CLICK the sniper and click the crosshair icon. It will be better and fully explained in the full game. But as for right now, make sure to right click the sniper unit and click the icon with the reticule or crosshair symbol.

With regards to selecting what troops go forward to the next trench. There are 2 ways to attempt to do that right now.

Method #1
The first method is to RIGHT CLICK the sniper and click the LOCK button to lock them to the trench. The lock button is the one with the padlock icon. This way when you send the troops forward, the sniper will stay in the trench and not advance. This applies to snipers, officers and also machine-gunners.

Method #2
The second method is LEFT CLICK the unit, this has an area effect, sending a squad of players forward. This is not a perfect solution because if a sniper is close-by he will be sent forward to. I'd suggest Method #1 of locking snipers to the trench.

So your suggestion has been taken on board for sure. I will implement a further means of selecting exactly what type of unit goes forward. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 09:26:05 AM by Subdomain Games » Logged
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 10:39:06 PM »

Looks really good. Downloading the demo!

An unholy mess of equipment used at different points in the war, by different armies, or not introduced until after the war ended (MP18...) seen in the video, but not much worse than almost all other ww1-themed games.  Who, Me?
Subdomain Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 04:50:55 AM »

Looks really good. Downloading the demo!

Thanks I'd love to know what you think of it!

An unholy mess of equipment used at different points in the war, by different armies, or not introduced until after the war ended (MP18...) seen in the video, but not much worse than almost all other ww1-themed games.  Who, Me?

Indeed. It often comes down to creating enough units for the game, as well as standardizing gameplay and balancing a strategy game. Not every side in WW1 utilized tanks, not every side that did have tanks, had a light tank such as the French Renault Tank. But no matter the side you chose for the game to be balanced the player needs access to all these abilities.

As for the MP18, that is merely to have enough units in the game.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 05:23:10 AM by Subdomain Games » Logged
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 05:40:34 AM »

Instead of MP18 you could have had grenadiers. They make nice explosions and are more historic and fill the same role. But not important of course and neither are the tanks.

I would have tried the game already but it did not start in Wine, so I have to do it next time I feel like reobooting my laptop to win10. (Any chance for a demo for other platforms?)
Subdomain Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 05:44:04 AM »

Instead of MP18 you could have had grenadiers. They make nice explosions and are more historic and fill the same role. But not important of course and neither are the tanks.

I would have tried the game already but it did not start in Wine, so I have to do it next time I feel like reobooting my laptop to win10. (Any chance for a demo for other platforms?)

Good point. I will be looking at adding Grenadiers and Trench Mortars into the game.

Sorry, I can't produce a demo for other platforms at this time Sad
Subdomain Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 02:57:43 PM »

Follow development at

https://twitter.com/Command_Of_War
We Are Bots
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 05:29:15 AM »

Hello there,

Sorry to ask, but i didnt find a way to download the demo using the links above.
Did i miss something?

Anyway, it's looks really nice!
Best regards.

Subdomain Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 06:40:36 AM »

Hello there,

Sorry to ask, but i didnt find a way to download the demo using the links above.
Did i miss something?

Anyway, it's looks really nice!
Best regards.

Hi, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Links have been updated. You should be able to download and play it now.

Thanks again and I'd love to know what you think of it.
Subdomain Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 08:35:59 AM »

Command Of War demo review:

Short review of the demo
We Are Bots
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 02:38:14 AM »

Nice review on alphabetagamer!

Command of War is a really addictive game. I played several hours without realizing it.

I like the representation of the battlefield and soldiers even though it lacks diversity. Carnage happens so quickly... never forget war is an open air butchery.
Sounds are great. The little whistle before leaving the trench is just awesome!

Just one question (and not the smartest one): Are you planning multiplayer 1v1 ?

Best regards.

Subdomain Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 07:26:50 AM »

Nice review on alphabetagamer!

Command of War is a really addictive game. I played several hours without realizing it.

I like the representation of the battlefield and soldiers even though it lacks diversity. Carnage happens so quickly... never forget war is an open air butchery.
Sounds are great. The little whistle before leaving the trench is just awesome!

Just one question (and not the smartest one): Are you planning multiplayer 1v1 ?

Best regards.

Thank you for your feedback! glad you enjoy the game.

I doubt I'll be able to implement 1v1 PvP multiplayer for Command Of War. But it's definitely planned for the sequel.  Wink
thatgamesguy
Level 0

Hi there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 01:33:56 PM »

They are all walking too their death!!!!   AHHHH Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Right   Very cool idea for a game, I like the manual control for sniping units xD

It would be cool if the ages advanced during the game.  For example the game could forward into the late future and the gameplay could continue evolving longer and changing in different ways as the game progresses.

Nice work

Crawling up out of my previous indie disasters, I could sure use your help to lighten up this wasteland I call progress. Noir:
Submit your game to my Kaidus.com/community/linkdirectory Gomez and I can get you a free backlink!
Subdomain Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 02:06:25 PM »

They are all walking too their death!!!!   AHHHH Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Right   Very cool idea for a game, I like the manual control for sniping units xD

It would be cool if the ages advanced during the game.  For example the game could forward into the late future and the gameplay could continue evolving longer and changing in different ways as the game progresses.

Nice work

Thank you for playing and taking the time to provide some feedback  Smiley

I like the idea, might use it for a future title in the series.  Beer!
Subdomain Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 10:23:44 PM »

Download the latest demo here:

Demo #2 Link

Changelog:
-Added flamethrowers
-Added Trench defense mode
-Added chemical warfare (poison gas)
-Numerous bug fixes

Enjoy!
Subdomain Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 05:10:19 AM »

Download the latest BETA demo v3

Download Link
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 12:59:34 AM »

I realized I did not post much feedback on demo #1 (and I have yet to try #2 or #3). It was a bit addictive as someone said. I played and replayed for a few hours or so. But because it is Windows only I have not been playing again. Not tempted enough to reboot to a different OS to play. I think it was a bit too much of a stalemate, at least with my skills. I mean ww1 on a strategic level is all about stalemate, so in a way that was a bit appropriate, but I thought it dragged on a bit much back and forth without much new happening until I could afford to launch a final assault and win. Maybe needed a (very short) time limit and then be balanced and tweaked to make it more likely to (just) win within that limit? Even with a few units that could be micro-managed (and not sure I really enjoyed that part) it felt a bit one-dimensional, as if fighting a two-front (or two-flank?) war would have been more fun, even if it would have taken away a bit of the simplicity. If I could choose from building new units on my left or right flank I guess it would have ended up like a simple two-lane action RTS like Clash Royale that I have played too much lately (oh how I hate those free games... but that one has actual gameplay that is kinda addictive in itself without all the surrounding skinner-boxing).
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic