Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 07:06:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Blade Runner-ish city mood not working, could use some direction
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Blade Runner-ish city mood not working, could use some direction  (Read 1262 times)
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: August 14, 2016, 10:21:04 AM »

Hey guys, so I'm working on a simple side-scrolling city scene and struggling with the art. I've done an art test using Kenny's free tiles and going after a Blade Runner esque feel but not quite nailing it.

(Click for Bigger)

I know I lack all the Asian stuff but I don't want that. I also don't have the glowy banners (yet), but even with how its looking, I'm not sure that would solve it. I focused on lots of different colors and bloom in a night scene but it doesn't feel right. What am I missing?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 10:35:27 AM by Koobazaur » Logged
Muffinhat
Level 0

COVERED IN BEES HELP

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 04:11:15 PM »

Pay attention to the color palette on your reference, as I think the place you may be stumbling is in the lack of color intensity. Notice how bold and vibrant the colors get, and how stark the contrast is in the value. In comparison, it sort of makes your image look.... washed out in a way.

I went ahead and messed around with the image by adding saturation and moving around the brightness and contrast sliders. It's kinda rushed, but it may give you an idea on where to take it from here.

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 05:26:27 PM »

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Muffinhat
Level 0

COVERED IN BEES HELP

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 06:00:00 PM »

JWK5 provides best critique/extremely elaborated tutorial.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 11:03:16 PM »

brick and mortar does not exactly spells "blade runner" and i doubt you can just magic it up with overlay color.
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 10:01:54 AM »

A lot of the ground-level scenery in Bladerunner is brick and mortar (which helps gives the scenes taking place there that gritty noir feel and contrasts with the tecno-architecture above), but yeah I wouldn't go with just modding that sprite set. To get a general color scheme down or try to get a certain feel going (as the OP was doing) its not such a bad thing but for something more finalized I agree the tiles themselves don't really suit the setting the OP has in mind (I was't sure if the OP was actually going to use the set or was just using it as a testing ground).

That said, I don't just want to leave the OP hanging. I don't have a lot of time (as is I am typing this whilst making breakfast and I've not yet had my morning caffeine fix) but I did squeeze in 5 minutes to whip the following together (I tried to keep it somewhere between a screenshot of Bladrunner and the tile set shot I modded earlier in the thread). I did it in MS Paint and dropped in some glow via GIMP but it might give the OP an idea of how to start (you can even feel free to cut it up and mod it into tiles if you want). It's obviously cramped (and sloppy as shit) but the point is you can get something up pretty quickly just starting with some base shapes and colors.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 09:00:57 AM »

Holy, JWK5 thanks for such detailed feedback! This is plenty useful to me and you make all good points Smiley Looking at the small thumbs in my OP you're right the references have a much more refined/limited color palette, whereas mine is kind of all over the place. As for Bricks, the original Shadowrun on the NES featured plenty of that and while it lacked the neon glow, it was still a nice dystopian setting to reference too.

And that it took you only 5 minutes to whip that up flabbergasts me as non-artist. But that's why I always hired people who know what they're doing on my bigger projects :p my original art test took me like 4 hours to make (But half of that was just researching and messing with tiles in Tiled)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic