Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:08:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingJust Defeat 1000 Starships/ Space shmup
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Just Defeat 1000 Starships/ Space shmup  (Read 628 times)
Venzel
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2016, 01:17:28 PM »

Hello everybody!

Working title: “Just Defeat 1000 Starships”. You can suggest better variant Smiley

Space scroll shooter with local coop up to 4 players (1 player for now).
Random generated levels and fights with unique bosses in pixel space. Each attempt to beat the game is different. Skills decide the outcome.

Common strategy for shmups “hold fire button and fly” doesn’t work here, you should think.

As the game progresses you will discover new guns. 4 fire buttons = 4 slots for weapons, a lot of tactical variety.

Platform: Windows;
Amount of players: 4, but for now is only one;
Gamepad is supported and preferably;

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2PdHd2f1ggzX2FJRmtaMUtYSXM/view

It still needs more weapons and ships.

Few pictures from elier versions:

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 03:57:47 PM »

Why doesn't hold fire work - is it because your weapons charge up and you need stronger firepower? (Looking at the gifs)

Venzel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 10:00:31 PM »

quantumpotato, you are right,  weapons charge up. It needs because you have 4 guns and simultaneous fire from all guns doesn't make the game interesting.

All weapons charge up. So this interface should help to keep it under control.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 10:15:28 AM »

Really nice start!

-The game feels pretty good to play, and I like the enemy designs so far.
-I like how the beam enemies interact with asteroids and those diamond shaped enemies which deflect the beams in another direction.  The only problem is those diamond enemies seemed to either be indescructable or took a lot of hits, so there were many situations where (since they made the beam vertical) I had no choice but to fly straight through the beam and take a hit, as two of them in conjunction would create beams that covered an entire vertical area of the screen.
-Since most of the enemies took only one or two hits to kill (which is good), the missiles didn't seem to be that useful until the boss, which meant although I got a second weapon in the first level, I had no incentive to use it.  On one playthrough, I got two extra weapons in the first level, which I think should be the norm, to give the player a bit more choice right away as to which weapons they use.  (also, maybe make the missile have an area-of-effect type thing, where it will explode upon hitting an enemy and also destroy nearby enemies.  That would make it more useful in non-boss areas)
-The first boss's beam weapon was annoying, and basically made it so most of the time, it wasn't safe to be in the area in front of the boss, which is the only area you can shoot it from.  Never beat the first boss.
-I would make collision more forgiving.  Most bullet-hell type games have a "magic pixel" where you only get hit if a bullet collides with the very middle point of your ship.  While this isn't quite the level of bullet-hell, it would be nice to allow for more near-misses, which was especially hard considering the size of most enemy projectiles.
-I would lower the saturation of the background.  That blue-green nebulous mist made the screen more busy, and made it harder to read. 

Anyway, other than that, I had quite a bit of fun with this game so far.  Look forward to seeing it develop!

Gentleman

Venzel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 10:46:38 PM »

Alec S., thank you so much for your wide reply!
You pointed out my shortcomings. I completely agree. Soon, thanks to you, the game will be better!

-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 03:30:14 AM »

Not bad, it's fun. I have to say though, it seems like a total ripoff of Steredenn, especially the enemy graphics. Those beam enemies with the diamonds around them that Alex S. mentioned are lifted directly from Steredenn, the ships just have a slightly different color scheme. Not cool.

- It's satisfying that the early enemies only take one hit to kill, but I think some of the bigger ones should have more health.

- The keybindings for the weapons are not laid out in an easy-to-use way. Put them all in a row so you can have one finger on each.

Venzel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 01:09:09 PM »

-Ross, thank you very much for your attention to my project!
About Steredenn... I was inspired by this game. The only thing I realy dislike is that almost whole game you constantly press fire button. And that there is no local coop multiplayer. So I'm here.

I hope my game is not as you say "total ripoff". Because even similar mechanics and objects in the games have different features.
For example, my diamond shields can be used by you in order to redirect your lasers and rays.

You are right, I was involuntarily affected by Steredenn. But I guess stylistically games are different:

It's not the final version. Diamond guy will be remastered.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic