Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:42:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[KICKSTARTER] Super Alien Adventure [40% funded]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: [KICKSTARTER] Super Alien Adventure [40% funded]  (Read 8260 times)
Dandan Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 16, 2016, 06:49:53 AM »

Hello everybody and welcome to the Super Alien Story Devlog !

You have to jump, shot and stomp to survive your adventure! Oh.. and coins!
You can also slide on ice... and shot snail shells !

I wanted to make this game because I always wanted to play a Mario game on my mobile device but never found a game which makes me happy.

I started around 4 Weeks with some dirty attemps. But during these weeks Ive red many articles about game design, started to draw ideas and learned many things about coding so it ended up here. Because I love to get feedback and make unseen things seen by other people I would like to start my devlog right now.
I hope you like and I will update this almost daily.

I use C# and the Unity Engine.

If you are interested in older GIFs showing some old progress just let me know!

Update list:

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 09:25:45 AM by Dandan Dev » Logged
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 06:59:40 AM »

hello , why are you making a game using Kenney assets?

are you aware of this? http://store.steampowered.com/app/486820/

are you making the same game? are you really a dev? isn't your engine a unity asset? what is life?
Dandan Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 07:07:16 AM »

hello , why are you making a game using Kenney assets?

are you aware of this? http://store.steampowered.com/app/486820/

are you making the same game? are you really a dev? isn't your engine a unity asset? what is life?

I know there are many games using kenneys assets, because they are great. Im not good at art so I like to use good assets.
The coding is done by me completly and I dont use any build-in Unity physics or assets.

All my physic like gravity is calculated via code and my collision detection is based on a raycast system because Unity standart physics are .. crap..

Am I doing the same game? Obviously not! If you would look at it you would see big diffrences.

• particles
  • camera shake
  • parallax backgrounds
  • smooth animations

Just because someone provides you the pencils, you cant draw a good image.

If you would be into gamedev you would see this instantly.
Are you good at giving critic? What is life?

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 07:22:23 AM by Dandan Dev » Logged
Kenney
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 07:27:57 AM »

That's not a very kind thing to say. Every game developer can use my assets, that's why they've been made. You're not less of a game developer if you decide to use pre-made assets. A lot of game developers don't have the funds or skills to create proper graphics for their games.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 07:33:33 AM »

They are public domain after all...

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Dandan Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 07:40:26 AM »

What do you want to say with that ?
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 07:41:14 AM »

What do you want to say with that ?

That you're in the right to use them to make any game you want.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 07:46:16 AM »

When i see the same asset available in game tutorials, freeware games, steam games, mobile games, my first reaction is a big sigh...  it's just easy to assume that the engine might aswell be an asset , considering how easy it is to find complete platformers engine nowadays.

no matter how great your game engine might be.
Mario with or without particles, camera shake, parallax backgrounds, smooth animations is still Mario.

even your game title is uninspired.

1st impression is important, and you probably need to handle criticism.

Kenney
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 07:50:04 AM »

That makes no sense at all, since the developer handled your "criticism" really well by showing you where you're wrong. Considering there are a lot of programmers out there with a passion for programming instead of visuals it's extremely naive to *sigh* upon seeing the assets. It's not the first impression the game makes, it's your personal opinion that is standing in the way.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 07:57:45 AM »

are you defending any games using your assets or what?

Why do people hate rpgmaker games? because of assets, you have literally clone games everywhere on first view (i'm not denying that some are good) but it makes it painful to pick the gem amongst em.
And that's the same thing here.
If i see the same assets , why would i bother.

and i read that lot of devs don't have skills or funds to get proper graphics, but that won't immune them to opinions.
Kenney
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 08:02:44 AM »

Quote from: b∀ kkusa
are you defending any games using your assets or what?
This one in particular, because I think it looks really smooth and fun to play.

Why do people hate rpgmaker games?
Because of the cookie cutter engine with pre-made characters, fighting system and pretty much always similar locations and story progression.

If i see the same assets , why would i bother.
Some people care for gameplay too.

and i read that lot of devs don't have skills or funds to get proper graphics, but that won't immune them to opinions.
Certainly not, just your opinion is a bit silly.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 08:07:31 AM »

Why do people hate rpgmaker games?
Because of the cookie cutter engine with pre-made characters, fighting system and pretty much always similar locations and story progression.
pre-made characters, similar locations.

which is the same problem as your assets. Same silly character, same silly backgrounds, & same silly enemies.
Kenney
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 08:12:43 AM »

which is the same problem as your assets. Same silly character, same silly backgrounds, & same silly enemies.

There are about 30,000 assets with tons of characters, tiles and enemies. There's plenty for developers to choose from and the game you linked actually uses a different tile set. Anyway, was talking about character as in the way they're written not the actual sprite. Can't please everyone, but don't put down game developers like you did - it's low.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 08:21:16 AM »

there's the same character (different color) the same bee, the same blob monster (technically the same universe) and you're like HEY! the Tile is different lol.

beside if you're really willing to help this dev. (i'm quoting him for his twitter)
What #indiedev is about? Working months for a million or nothing.

if you wish him success, maybe you should tell him that looking for a help from an artist would be wiser than making another ~1000th platformer with your assets.
Dandan Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 09:13:23 AM »

there's the same character (different color) the same bee, the same blob monster (technically the same universe) and you're like HEY! the Tile is different lol.

beside if you're really willing to help this dev. (i'm quoting him for his twitter)
What #indiedev is about? Working months for a million or nothing.

if you wish him success, maybe you should tell him that looking for a help from an artist would be wiser than making another ~1000th platformer with your assets.

Well, it is getting out of control right here.

So you got a prejudice on games done with assets. Thats okay, but that doenst mean, that these games are not good. And thats not just me or kenney, who say that. A lot of people do.

Its a shame to compare my game to the steam one, no offense against the creater but there are worlds between them.
Ive put much effort into this game and done much coding to avoid using bad physics or controlls.
If you had any idea of programming, you would see this point.

Ive got no money at all, or rather money to spend for developing so I have to use art-assets.

And the stupidest point:

On Twitter I get many massages or tweets with real critism, not like yours, and I think about it and often I change little things, because they are right. And although your "critism", is just trying making fun of my game I replied and showed you, that you are wrong.

If you dont like it, just leave. There is no point in having this talkshow

And dont call kenneys assets silly. Saying those unkind things is silly.
Just create a game with the features of mine or one asset which looks that polish like kenneys.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 09:21:48 AM »

i came up asking you what's different between your game and the one i mentioned, you answered that should have been enough.
Never even said that your game is bad or anything, it was open to interpretation lol.

Just create a game with the features of mine or one asset which looks that polish like kenneys.
That just proves that you don't handle criticism or negative opinions.

so you challenge me to make a game or make polished assets so i can say what i think about this?
Just try making more money than me so you can spend some on art-assets.
Dandan Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2016, 09:25:34 AM »

i came up asking you what's different between your game and the one i mentioned, you answered that should have been enough.
Never even said that your game is bad or anything, it was open to interpretation lol.

That just proves that you don't handle criticism or negative opinions.

so you challenge me to make a game or make polished assets so i can say what i think about this?
Just try making more money than me so you can spend some on art-assets.

I can, but I cant handle people, trying to evaluate the effort somebody put into his game with no idea in programming at all.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2016, 09:29:05 AM »

hello i can program k ? thanks,
now go back to devlogging.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2016, 01:00:24 PM »

If someone wants to use freeware assets that is entirely their choice.

I agree that it is a bad move for a project people might associate with your name down the line, but:

Please keep criticism somewhat positive and constructive, thank you.
Dandan Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2016, 02:08:32 PM »

Now there are saws which are a beautiful mechanic to make difficult jumps.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic