Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:39:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[KICKSTARTER] Super Alien Adventure [40% funded]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: [KICKSTARTER] Super Alien Adventure [40% funded]  (Read 8334 times)
Dandan Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2016, 02:17:07 PM »

[Water movement]

I controll the water via script. Waves are done with simple sinus.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2016, 06:35:47 AM »

That looks pretty cool actually, it's like a carboard world or something.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Dandan Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2016, 11:04:49 AM »

That looks pretty cool actually, it's like a carboard world or something.

Thank you !
Dandan Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2016, 11:22:08 AM »

[Fireball Pickup Animation]

Hey Guys,
since I added a shotable fireball, I wanted to implement some kind of "ammo" system, so you have to think about what you shot and if its really necessary.

You will find few fireballs in the level itself and you can buy some for coins.

I know, that im using assets but I try to give them my own touch and some quality, so I created an animation which (hopefully) looks like a bubble. I gave a little delay to the fireball so it looks more .. bubblelike?

Dandan Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2016, 02:45:32 PM »

[Fireball in Boxes]

Reworked the boxes, so I can choose via Integer in the inspector which item they contain.
Here you can see how it looks like if it contains fireball ammo

//allready fixed that you get a coin

Dandan Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 03:37:26 AM »

UPDATE: Double Jump

To bring more dynamic into the gameplay, I decided to implement a double jump and decrease the jump power of a single one.

Dandan Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2016, 02:48:49 AM »

Today I will start to create the very first level with some kind of tutorial in it.
Dandan Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2016, 02:10:01 PM »

Im working on my first level with some tutorial signs
Eluardian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2016, 04:42:11 PM »

I know, that im using assets but I try to give them my own touch and some quality, so I created an animation which (hopefully) looks like a bubble. I gave a little delay to the fireball so it looks more .. bubblelike?

This is a great way to approach using an asset pack. It's lookin neat, keep it up.

Dandan Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2016, 04:00:40 AM »

This is a great way to approach using an asset pack. It's lookin neat, keep it up.

Thank you! Smiley

I like pennydrop by the way, just noticed that you this guy by you signature
Dandan Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2016, 05:23:29 AM »

UPDATE: Coins and Boxes

Hey guys, I added the new coins to the boxes today and did some polish to coins at all.
So here are the GIFs of coins and coins in boxes.

[Coins with particles and the new gem animation]

[Coins in Boxes with new animation]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 06:04:13 AM by Dandan Dev » Logged
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2016, 12:49:43 PM »

I see you're putting a lot of effort into the game. It's turning out to not be awful. That's great!
However, why not create unique art assets for the game, and truly create something that's yours?

Earlier you were getting a bit of vitriol for using 'Kenney Assets.'
I personally have nothing against them. The art exists for public use and Kenney is a cool person for making those assets.

Using these assets ostensibly seems like a good idea because it brings artistic polish to your game.
However, it might end up being detrimental to you in the long run as a developer.

A few reasons:
-You won't build critical art skills for the future. The whole, "I'm a programmer, I can't make art" statement is only self defeating.
-Generic assets simply hide your game among a sea of unending indie titles.
-There are games which are pretty bad which use the same asset pack. Because of this you are intrinsically linked to these games.
-You're not establishing your own identity as a designer. People might not look at your future games and recognize they come from you.

Just offering some perspective. Best of luck with development.

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
Dandan Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2016, 01:03:38 PM »

I see you're putting a lot of effort into the game. It's turning out to not be awful. That's great!
However, why not create unique art assets for the game, and truly create something that's yours?

Earlier you were getting a bit of vitriol for using 'Kenney Assets.'
I personally have nothing against them. The art exists for public use and Kenney is a cool person for making those assets.

Using these assets ostensibly seems like a good idea because it brings artistic polish to your game.
However, it might end up being detrimental to you in the long run as a developer.

A few reasons:
-You won't build critical art skills for the future. The whole, "I'm a programmer, I can't make art" statement is only self defeating.
-Generic assets simply hide your game among a sea of unending indie titles.
-There are games which are pretty bad which use the same asset pack. Because of this you are intrinsically linked to these games.
-You're not establishing your own identity as a designer. People might not look at your future games and recognize they come from you.

Just offering some perspective. Best of luck with development.

Thank you. The game is just a hobby in my freetime and its meant to be on mobile devices.
If I try to add my own art it would be really ugly or I have to spend like months to learn and create good art.
To hire someone Ive got no money at all.

Maybe I will replace the character but I will keep the tiles for sure.
Maybe I can make some money at the appstores than Ive got something to for the next game with unique artist/arts
TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2016, 02:30:37 PM »

but it makes it painful to pick the gem amongst em

You just described the games industry as a whole, regardless of pre-made assets or not.

Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2016, 09:08:26 PM »

Game is looking good, especially if it's your first attempt.

Mark Mayers makes some good points, but that other guy should do one. So rude. No need.
Dandan Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2016, 04:04:34 PM »

The whole first level

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:35:25 AM by Dandan Dev » Logged
Dandan Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2016, 03:00:11 AM »

Kickstarter is live !

Dandan Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2016, 06:10:32 AM »

UPDATE: Kickstarter 40% funded and Google Play Servies implemented

Hey guys, out KICKSTARTER is 40% funded and Achievements/Leaderboards are implemented!

Ropilofski
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2016, 12:55:35 PM »

Like others have already expressed, your game seems to be coming along really well. Seems to me, that you have a nice overall grasp for handling the whole process, kickstarter included. It does bother me as well though, how this game might soar to another level all together with a unique art style. Not saying that there is anything wrong with Kennys assets, but as it has been said, unique is unique, and it is more you then. Have you asked around for people who might be interested in developing their artistic skills and resume for free? Schools with art or game program, friends? Some schools might be really interested in helping you, if you express your topic in the right way Smiley Keep on deving!
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2016, 07:03:56 PM »

Aren't Bakkusa and Mark Mayers essentially saying the same thing but differently? Maybe I misunderstood but it seemed that way.

One thing which bothers with the screenshots is the general overexposure of the hud. It's all over the place. I guess it's for mobiles and stuff but I think it would benefit from being more subtle/discreet.

You probably don't want this thread to turn into a debate about premade assets but I essentially side with Bakkusa and Mark Mayers. Unique graphics go a long way in defining a game's personality. RPG Maker has turned into a plague by manufacturing essentially identical looking game. There's something about widespread graphics which is a major turnoff for me. Would Meatboy be Meatboy be the same if it used generic graphics? What about La Mulana or Spelunky? So yeah, personally, I think using premade assets does make your game not as appealing than games with their own visual identity.

That's the only point I only partly agree on. I think it's fine to have people with different skills on a game as it's pretty rare to have someone who's excellent in graphics, programming and music.

There's no easy solutions here I guess. Maybe working with another artist? You could also make your art and sort of make a style which "conceals" your lack of experience sort of like in Limbo.

Otherwise, yeah, I do think the market is saturated with platformers. I hope this is a practice project which will lead to more exotic and daring avenues.

P.S.: This type of argument:

And dont call kenneys assets silly. Saying those unkind things is silly.
Just create a game with the features of mine or one asset which looks that polish like kenneys.

always makes me cringe really, really bad. There's no rhyme or reason to the rationale of: "In order to criticize something you need to outdo it some way or another." Everyone can express likes/dislikes about art without having to outdo the artists they are criticizing. I'm always a bit insulted when people bring it up as this sine quo non condition for criticism (yeah, it's a pet peeve of mine!). So yes, that's not a good way to handle criticism. Wait until you get on steam, if you think bakkusa's not nice, you'll get triggered pretty bad when you read the comments about your game.

I actually think Bakkusa brought up some interesting points in his abrasive way. Game development can't only be about giving favors and praises in order to get them some back in return. Every once in a while you need the dissident voices which sting a bit but open up your eyes on some of your creation's shortcomings.

Why shouldn't he be allowed to say the art looks silly if that's what he thinks? It doesn't mean you have to care about his input or his opinion but it's as a valid an input as the opposite "the art looks cool", they're just two sides of the same coin really. So the art comes across as silly for some people, it's good to know. Why wouldn't you want to know about it?

Some people tell me they don't like my art and that's fine. If the comment kept coming back, I'd need to see what's going exactly and adapt. Any feedback is better than none.

Long message, I know. I don't aim to white knight for bakkusa here, it's the idea that negative criticism is generally unwelcome which bothers me. If you want you game to be the best it can be, you need the harsh criticism much more than you need the pat on the head.

Good luck!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic