Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 06:51:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 36 (August 26-29) [with a gotcha] [THEME: ancient technology]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 36 (August 26-29) [with a gotcha] [THEME: ancient technology]  (Read 18274 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2016, 10:24:03 PM »

About a week left! The huge game jam is about to come around again.

This time around there's something to be aware of! For reasons I'm too lazy to outline, but having to do with the usual host of LD working on the new website for next LD and leaving this one into the hands of another person, there will be no ratings this time, but otherwise everything works as usual. As a makeshift solution this site has been set up to keep up with feedback. Then in December we might be enjoying a brand new LD website with a brand new system for everything. Hand Thumbs Up Right

Theme: ancient technology

Looking for a teammate? I made a matchmaking post~

Copypasted explanation of LD from last thread:

You vote for a theme (or you don't and just accept the theme that wins in the end) in the days running up to the event, and then based on that theme or keyword you get 48 or 72 hours (plus a submission hour) to make a game (48 hours is referred to as compo and 72 as jam and they have different rules — jam is more relaxed and you're allowed to work in a team — so make sure you read the rules on the website first).

When the time is up, a couple of weeks of playing games and rating commenting them (only people who submitted their own games can do this) commences, and if you want to get ratings comments yourself you need to do this.

You don't win anything beyond good ratings comments at best, but it's fun and you always grow a little bit as a developer, as does your portfolio!

Finally, link (you need to register on the site to be able to vote and submit, so I recommend doing this in good time before having to post your game): http://ludumdare.com/compo/

Remember that you need to host your game yourself — the LD website does not provide this. Also you need to make it work at least on web or Windows (I think?) to be allowed to submit your game.

The best properly official Twitter hashtag these days seems to be #LDJAM, even if you're doing the compo.

Great blog post from an earlier LD here on considering keyboard differences between countries and so on, and more to bear in mind!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 01:09:10 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 02:03:19 AM »

Hand Thumbs Up Right

Tselmek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 05:35:41 PM »

Let's get this Ludum Partey rolling!! Count me in once again.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 06:20:35 AM »

i'm in

PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 11:12:35 AM »

I'm gonna join! This will be my first!!  Waaagh!

Twitter: @pbergmar
SuperDisk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 05:43:33 PM »

I can't really see how anyone would be incentivised to play the games if there's no rating system.
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 05:45:09 PM »

I can't really see how anyone would be incentivised to play the games if there's no rating system.

Really? Because games are fun.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 02:22:58 AM »

LD is a lot of fun to do either way. It's fine if nobody plays. I'll have made something that's hopefully a cool addition to my portfolio, and I'll have had fun doing it. Hopefully learned something new along the way too. Still prefer the ratings, of course, but it's only this once anyway, and the next time we'll get a brand new, fancy website and system that's hopefully even better.

So even without ratings I'm hyped!

First three voting rounds are now open!
http://ludumdare.com/compo/2016/08/20/ludum-dare-36-theme-voting-begins/

Only did the first two so far. Excited in particular about unexpected combination, because a lot of fun genre mashups as well as completely different interpretations could come from that, and we've got a funny idea ourselves as well, so hoping for that one so far. Gomez

VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 08:31:00 AM »

I'll be joining as well. 12th/15th time for me, depending on whether you count failed attempts.

Really? Because games are fun.

Perhaps you, personally, will be playing LD games, but I'm sure overall there will be less people playing the games. My experience with other jams has been that nobody really plays your game unless a) they're forced to by some system like LD's rating system, b) you specifically ask them to; or c) they hear about it via word-of-mouth (and even in that case, having a good game does not guarantee a significant amount of people will play it).

Fortunately, there's a site named 'feedback friends' this time around which is a bit like the old rating system; this should allow us to still get feedback (and with the opt-in nature of the site, I'm actually having some hopes the feedback will be better than usual).
Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 09:19:40 AM »

I'm a bit disappointed by the themes that made it to voting rounds so far. They just feel a bit to "safe" for my taste.

But the theme is not the important part. I'm definitely in! Gentleman

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 09:24:56 PM »

Fourth voting round is open.
http://ludumdare.com/compo/ld36-theme-voting-round-4-of-5/

We thought these were horrible. :'c

Also round one results have been revealed:
http://ludumdare.com/compo/ld36-theme-voting-round-1-of-5/

Very disappointed. Ancient technologies is way too restricting. Here's to hoping something else wins in the end!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 06:18:54 AM »

Results from round three have been revealed:
http://ludumdare.com/compo/ld36-theme-voting-round-2-of-5/

So people really need don't kill anything to be a theme in order to make a game where you don't? Wow. Roll Eyes

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 11:23:35 AM »

LD really needs a new voting mechanic. Only 2 themes had more "+1" then "-1" votes in the first round; the second had none.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 09:30:25 PM »

No, it needs better themes so that everybody isn't inclined to vote everything down. Cheesy The problem with crowdsourced suggestions.

We'll have to wait and see what the new website ends up being like, presumably in time for the next LD!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 03:22:25 AM »

Looking for a teammate? I made a matchmaking post~

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 08:17:20 AM »

No, it needs better themes so that everybody isn't inclined to vote everything down. Cheesy The problem with crowdsourced suggestions.

You can't really control the themes that people submit, besides there where a lot of good (or at least interesting) themes at the start of the slaughter. My personal favourite was "Solutions to problems that no one has", just as an example that would never have made it in the current meta.

I'm not sure what the the problem with the current mechanic is, but it seems to nurture voting meta game that results in washed out themes that everyone is, at most, sort of okay with, but no one really likes.

Finding a voting mechanic that both generates interesting themes and is comprehensible to most participants is tricky. Whatever the mechanic is it has to comply to both constraint, because a voting system where participants feel cheated would not improve the situation.

(edit: clarify a little)

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 08:55:49 AM »

Yeah, I wasn't being serious, of course~

One recurring problem is that not only are there a lot of bad themes, but we keep getting the exact same bad themes stubbornly suggested year after year ending up in the final voting rounds.

I guess more administration is the only solution, really.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 09:14:43 AM »

Results from round four have been revealed:
http://ludumdare.com/compo/ld36-theme-voting-round-4-of-5/

Didn't really like anything that round, so don't care much about the results, but one room (2nd place) feels like something that screams of having been done to death before in LD's...

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 10:09:23 AM »

FINAL VOTING ROUND IS OPEN!
It will be one of these themes!

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ld36-theme-voting-round-5-of-5/

SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 10:44:24 AM »

The combined results (top 20) from the four rounds